BF2 - Armoured Fury

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

BF2 - Armoured Fury

Post by Skippman »

Anyone get this yet? I've been playing for about 24 hours now. The tank battles in Operation Havest are SWEET!
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

More tank battles? Wasn't Karkand enough?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I wouldn't consider Karkand a tank battle. That's more urban warfare. Operation Harvest has large open fields with hedgerows to hide your tank behind, and about 30 armoured units on the field at once. Rolling Thunder has about the same but on an interstate and with A-10's.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Huge BF2 fan here and I would like to know how do you like it? Reviews please.

Razorbacx
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

8)

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battl ... eview.html
Total Points Awarded: 7.4 (Good)
Gameplay: 8
Graphics: 8
Sound: 8
Value: 6
Tilt: 7

User rating: 7.9 (158 votes)

The global war of Battlefield 2 arrives on American shores, and this new booster pack delivers some great new battlefields. With that said, the big question is going to be how many servers will adopt this new content.

The Good: Forget the desert. The battle now shifts to America's suburbs and highways; the new levels are well designed and a welcome change of scenery; the new scout helicopters and ground-attack aircraft are integrated well and don't unbalance the game.

The Bad: The game engine shows its limitations in that it can create pretty environments but interacting with them is another issue; if server adoption is the same as with euro force, the first booster pack, then don't expect to see this content on any of your favorite servers.
More reviews: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battl ... l?mode=web
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Personal review:

I like Armored Fury. And I'll tell you why. Tanks. Big, huge, lumbering masses of steel, tungsten, and ceramic composite justice. Nothing is more satisfying than watching some punk with 5 C4 charges strapped to his FAV come spinning around a hill directly into your line of sight and the subsequent explosion as his now immolated carcass flies through the air due to the awesome power of your 120mm High Explosive Anti-Tank Round. But as soon as you're done admiring your handiwork, it's time to roll as the low moan of the angry GAU-8 Avenger cannon mounted on the nose of that A-10 reminds you why it sucks to be slow. Quick, pop smoke, turn, back up, run for the trees! To late, the smoke may fool the pilot, but the Maverick always finds it's target.

That's Armored Fury in a nutshell. Take all the tank fun you've loved on maps like Wake Island and Operation Cleansweep and give it an even bigger sandbox to play in. From the rolling hills and farms of Pennsylvania to the Interstate this game fixes the one problem I've always had with BF2, penning in amour in tight urban settings. Karkand, clearly the Dest of BF2, is everywhere you look these days. And while urban warfare is great for infantry, for a tank it's the worst environment imaginable. AT Mines, Eryx rockets, and TOW missiles seem to be everywhere making driving a tank an almost automatic death sentence.

In contrast, Armored Fury seems to take an opposite approach. Huge, open fields with hedgerows to hide behind. Large chunks of interstate to roll menacingly down bring back visions of the opening scene in Red Alert 2 of the Apocalypse tank crushing the "Welcome to Texas" sign. No longer are you just "Spam in a Can" for wanting to play with the big toys. Now you're the power, with your only real threat being either another tank or an ace pilot behind the stick of a A-10.

I do have some complains about Armored Fury though. For starters, why is it a 55ton behemoth cannot crush barbed wire and picket fences beneath it's mighty tread. I understand that the texture needs to be there as the levels designed that way but a deformable terrain feature ala the exploded bridges would be nice. Also, once again the STRIKER and the GRAIL are conspicuously missing from the game.

For $9, I have no complaints. True it probably won't be as popular as Special Forces, but for the price it seems a worth addition to any BF2 collection.

8/10
Last edited by Skippman on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Good post Skipman Image

Almost makes me want to play BF2 again.......
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

where do i get it?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

You have to download it using the EA downloader. I think that's how they keep the price so cheap. No media priniting or distrubution to worry about. To be honest, that may be the next trend in gaming. Look at what Valve has done with Half-Life 2. I'm glad to see they've gotten away from Vivendi.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

thanks!!! i guess for 10 bucks i can certainly try it.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Think that I'm going to have to give it a try myself. I love the city maps and urban warfare that BF2 offers, but I also love armor battles. There's a lot of strategy involved in manuevering for a shot without getting picked off first....not to mention some extreme luck as well.