Professional Gaming Should Be Mainstream By Now

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Professional Gaming Should Be Mainstream By Now

Post by Apoptosis »

Professional Gaming Should Be Mainstream By Now:

After recently attending The World Series of Video Game tournaments in Louisville and Dallas I’m left wondering if the professional gaming industry is headed in the right direction. Sitting at the Gaylord Texan sports bar I was surrounded by the World’s best Quake 4 and Counter-Strike players. Having traveled around the world with these professional players we have all become friends, so drinking a pint at a bar with them is nothing uncommon. What made this one night different from all the rest was what was being shown on ESPN while we were at the sports bar.

The huge 52 foot wall of sports screens in the Texas Station sports bar had episodes of the World Championship Domino Tournament and the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog contest running the night in question. Watching the hot dog contest you could see the contestants have their name announced and see them run across the stage with people cheering them on. Actually that’s an understatement. There was an enormous street crowd was cheering them on. Where is the crowd at for the WSVG? Why aren’t the gamers getting super star treatment? I don’t believe it is prize money because first place in the Domino Tournament is only $3,000. Why in the heck are professional gamers not getting the respect that I believe they deserve?

Is The WSVG Right For Professional Gaming?

The CPL used to be the premier professional gaming event and the great branding behind it leading gamers to believe that it was the end all event. It worked, and in recent years if you attended one of the CPL events to compete, you were in a sense at the top of the competitive gaming community. This year at the Summer CPL championships the location was the same, but the event was under the direction of the WSVG organizers for the first time ever. The World Series of Video Games second U.S. circuit event, known in prior years as the CPL Summer Championship, has been renamed the Intel Summer Championship to reflect the deep partnership between WSVG and Intel. The WSVG was able to secure a large number of sponsors for the event with the likes of Intel, Microsoft, ATI, Dell, Red Bull, Antec, and a number of other companies paying out five to six figures per show to be on hand. All of this money adds up to be millions, but where does it go? Going to the WSVG website we can see where $350,000 for each event goes.
Each event will be supported regionally with $350,000 in marketing support. The events will be supported with aggressive media and marketing campaigns, which will include the following:

-Radio: $50,000+ per market in advertising and promotions
-Online: Multi-million dollar campaign on an entertainment portal
-Retail: Promotion through National retailer
-Print: Broad campaign in Future Media and top-tier lifestyle publications
-Grassroots: Online/street team community promotion; aggressive ticketing campaign
-PR: Extensive WSVG campaign/ sponsor campaigns
While the WSVG sounds like its God’s gift to gamers something doesn’t seem to be working. The attendees lack enthusiasm and for an event costing millions and the press and television crews seem to be missing in action. Why is this the case? I’m going to step out on a limb here and speak my mind and many will not agree with my thoughts, but that’s why freedom of speech is great.

Lacking Curb Side Appeal

Where is the wow factor in gaming? When you walk into the BYOC or championship areas of these gaming competitions visitors are welcomed by a dimly lit room with the majority of gamers wearing black shirts huddled in front of computer screens blowing stuff up and yelling into their headsets. If a non-gamer walks into the room they are bound to be overwhelmed and not know what is taking place in front of them. Unlike a hot dog eating contest, where the user is instantly engrossed by the images taking place and catching on is basic instinct as we all have to eat gaming just doesn’t have that grip on the public.

Fatal1ty: Helping or Hurting Gamers?

Another problem I foresee with the professional gaming industry is the monopoly taking place by one organization. I can’t think of another professional sport where one of the top players hires other young guns to play under his organizational name and additionally sponsor the event itself. The person I’m talking about here is Fatal1ty. Let me start off by saying that I’ve known Johnathan Wendell for a number of years and he is a great guy that I respect. I clearly see what he is doing, but personally I don’t think it’s helping the professional gaming industry advance to become bigger.

Walking into the WSVG the presence of Fatal1ty is overwhelming. A number of years ago Fatal1ty signed up with Mark Walden to be the master licenser for his brand name. Since them the think tank and circle of trust that Mark Walden has developed has sprung Fatal1ty into the lime light of gaming. With Fatal1ty signing contracts with Abit, Creative, Aruarovision, XFX, and the yet to be announced ATI deal he has locked in 8-10 year contracts with these companies to sell products under the Fatal1ty name. With six figure checks required at signing the Fatal1ty marketing machine has millions in the bank and has used that money to dominate the gaming industry. With money in the bank they are able to go hire other professional gamers to play under the Fatal1ty name. While a select numbers of gamers are set to make more money by signing up, what they don’t realize is they just gave up their individuality. From the outside looking in it seems like Fatal1ty is sucking up the good players and putting Fatal1ty shirts on them while they play. Why do this? Because these gamers are a threat and when you have money you hire the other up and comers and make them part of your organization. This takes place all the time in the business world, but is it right for professional gaming?

When walking into the WSVG all I see is Fatal1ty. Every booth has Fatal1ty products, the huge 25 foot banners hanging all over the venue say Fatal1ty, The Fatal1ty booth is loaded with all of his products and life size cardboard cutouts of Johnathan. Walking over to the championship tournament tables I see Fatal1ty headsets and Fatal1ty mice and all the gamers wearing Fatalty t-shirts (even non-Fatal1ty members as the event shirts list Fatal1ty on the back as a sponsor). Walking in and out of the WSVG the take home message is clear -- Fatal1ty owns this event. I believe this is where things went wrong and to be honest, I’d like to congratulate Fatal1ty and his organization for coming in and dominating the pro gaming circuit. In June Auravision announced Fatal1ty Brand Partners, led by Creative Labs, was now a major sponsor of The World Series of Video Games. The sponsorship now means that Fatal1ty Brand products from Creative, Universal abit and Zalman are now the official PC components for the WSVG. Meaning that sound cards, mice, keyboards, headsets, motherboards, graphic cards, coolers, power supplies and computer enclosures at the event should are all Fatal1ty branded for the most part. Basically this leaves me wondering if WSVG participants should also be allowed to become sponsors of the event itself. From my perspective there should be a separation between the gamers and the organizational body. (think separation of church and state) Walking into an event where Fatal1ty is sponsoring it and playing must have some psychological impact on the gamers playing.

WSVG: What are your goals?

When running a professional circuit I believe that things should be kept clean and even. It is the sole responsibility of the organizers to make sure the event doesn’t become one sided and the WSVG failed to do that by accepting Fatal1ty’s $850,000 check to become an event sponsor. By no means should the organizational body of a professional series take money from an active gamer/group that is still actively competing in that same series.

An example of this is how Fatal1ty sponsored the WSVG and as a result Fatalty products are the only allowed products in a number of the booths. If you walk into the Intel or ATI booths at any of the WSVG pit stops you’ll only see Fatal1ty headsets and keyboards and the same goes for the tournament machines. At the Intel Summer Championships $350,000 was spent on advertising while only $225,000 was given out in cash and prizes. With $350,000 per event going to marketing that means a grand total of $1.4 million dollars will be spent on advertising while $1 million dollars in cash and prizes goes back to the gamers. After seeing what $700,000 in marketing got in Kentucky and Texas I’m not seeing any return on their $700,000 investment in gaming. I didn’t see any TV crews there during the event and even the local Sunday Grapevine newspaper failed to run a big story on the event.

What are your thoughts?
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Apoptosis, you are correct in your assesment of the Professional Gaming Industry. There is clearly a conflict of intrest when you have the Sponsor of a tournament field a team as well.While Marketing isn't my specialty I can clearly see the flaws in how the Pro Gaming Industry is being presented.
Nothing against Fatal1ty, but He is clearly being over hyped. In addition, how is the money for advertisement being spent? Are other Pro Gamers being promoted? Where are the Sponsors putting forth their message? Are any of the Media being contacted?

It seems to me that what needs to be done is have more independent sponsors brought in. Enthusiast sites like this Fine site as well as E-tailers like New Egg. As you rightly pointed out anyone going to the aforementioned event would think that it was purely a Fatal1ty show, not to mention what the contestants were thinking. Also you can't have a Tournament & only use one product name. If you are truely interested in building the Pro Gaming Industry , all quality products associated whith gaming should be used. In addition ,every effort should be made to reach out to the vendors of these products & try & bring them on board. Only in this way will you be able to field a viable product.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jtm55 wrote:In addition, how is the money for advertisement being spent? Are other Pro Gamers being promoted? Where are the Sponsors putting forth their message? Are any of the Media being contacted?
Thanks for commenting and adding your thoughts. In terms of advertising I can't find much... Nothing locally here in St. Louis and if you look at Google News under WSVG hardly anything comes up from this past weekend. I'm a speaker for part of the WSVG tour and signed up as media and have yet to even get a single e-mail or press release about the event. All of the advertising for the show seems to be general and not gamer specific. I have no clue where the sponsors are putting forth their message, but I do know that $700,000 has been spent advertising for these past two locations and I don't see where $25,000 of the $700,000 has gone.

Another instesting find is this:

It seems like $1,000 to $2,500 from each exhibitor is going to http://www.ampednews.com , yet the site doesn't even exisit. It rolls over to Ampedesports.com and even on that site not one banner from ATI, Fatal1ty, Intel, Antec, Newegg, Dell or anyone is on the site. It seems odd that WSVG would mention a site with an Alexa rating of over 120,000 that only 2 sites link to for a set amount of advertising money. Ampednews.com is registered to Erik Olsen who works for Wired Labs, which is a company owned by Ryan Schumacher who just launched the news portal in May of 2006.
Last edited by Apoptosis on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi Apoptosis

Unfortunately, it appears that the WSVG is only interested in promoting themselves. I live in NY & never hear of any gaming tournaments, aside from some LAN Parties at the area Universities. Folk like yourself who are in the Media haver to report on this, let other Gamers & Enthusiast know what is happenning in our Industry.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It's funny when you type in WSVG into Google News you see 102 results and all of them on the main page are from GotFrag.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=WSVG&sa=N&tab=wn

I just don't see where the $700,000 went.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Me neither.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It looks like the event is going the way of most big companies, out to make the most profit. Its a shame that they seem to be loosing the heart and soul of the event and just turning it into a cashflow.

Kind of similar to the Gas and Electric prices here in the UK, they've gone up something cronic in the past year, supposedly due to inflation in oil prices, yet the gas companies are repporting record profits!!! Companies are too greedy.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Topher
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Topher »

It looks like the event is going the way of most big companies, out to make the most profit.
As apposed to busting your ass to the bone to throw a big LAN event for no profit at all, just because you have nothing better to do with your time?

I used to think that LAN events should be fun and free. And I still think so, provided the attendance is under 50 persons and it's in someones basement.

These big events however, are a completly different beast. They don't run themselves, and those sponsors don't just search the internet looking for LAN parties to give their stuff away at. These things take a lot of hard work and planning. I think if someone puts that much work into it, they deserve to get paid. Who want's to work for free?

Just my 2 cents.....

As for the professional sport topic..... Well.... This might sting a bit but..... Playing video games really isn't a sport. As much as we'd all like to see it portrayed in the limelight alongside of Baseball and Football, it just isnt that. Instead of an athletic sport which people love to watch, it's more like a couch potato game that people have little interest in watching others play. I mean, when was the last time you watched a heated chess tournament on TV? Hey, anyone turning out for the big Monopoly tournament going on next week?

Maybe someday it will be a big spectator sport, but I think it will more than likley poop out sometime in the future, or at best remain at the level of interest that it's at right now. Video games are fun to play, but not-so-fun to watch other people play. It's fun watching some 130lb guy eat more hot dogs than a 400lb guy. Not so fun watching some nerd sit in front of a computer and play a video game. Let's face it, professional sports are successful because they are SPECATOR sports. Video games just fall short as a spectator sport, and always will.

Ok, feel free now to inform me of how "wrong" I am......
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Topher wrote:
It looks like the event is going the way of most big companies, out to make the most profit.
As apposed to busting your ass to the bone to throw a big LAN event for no profit at all, just because you have nothing better to do with your time?

I used to think that LAN events should be fun and free. And I still think so, provided the attendance is under 50 persons and it's in someones basement.

These big events however, are a completly different beast. They don't run themselves, and those sponsors don't just search the internet looking for LAN parties to give their stuff away at. These things take a lot of hard work and planning. I think if someone puts that much work into it, they deserve to get paid. Who want's to work for free?

Just my 2 cents.....

As for the professional sport topic..... Well.... This might sting a bit but..... Playing video games really isn't a sport. As much as we'd all like to see it portrayed in the limelight alongside of Baseball and Football, it just isnt that. Instead of an athletic sport which people love to watch, it's more like a couch potato game that people have little interest in watching others play. I mean, when was the last time you watched a heated chess tournament on TV? Hey, anyone turning out for the big Monopoly tournament going on next week?

Maybe someday it will be a big spectator sport, but I think it will more than likley poop out sometime in the future, or at best remain at the level of interest that it's at right now. Video games are fun to play, but not-so-fun to watch other people play. It's fun watching some 130lb guy eat more hot dogs than a 400lb guy. Not so fun watching some nerd sit in front of a computer and play a video game. Let's face it, professional sports are successful because they are SPECATOR sports. Video games just fall short as a spectator sport, and always will.

Ok, feel free now to inform me of how "wrong" I am......
Nothing wrong with your comments... Not a flamer forum here! I'm looking for good feedback and seeing how you have been into LAN gaming for years I value the comments and agree.
Imakeholesinu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Imakeholesinu »

The problem is with TV it is SOOOO BORING to watch gaming on it. Have you seen an episode of Arena? I can't stand watching that show, and I can only watch it half way through on Mute. Watching gaming on a TV is like watching paint dry almost. Reason being is because when you think of most sports, you can see the entire playingfield and you can watch what exactly is going on. In gaming, you can switch back and forth between each player's first person view but you can't see an overhead camera angle that will show the entire enviornment the two combatants are in.

Quite frankly, gamers are so competitive that we do not want to watch other people play when we can pay $40 for the software and master it in a month's time (if you've got the time on your hands to do so), we'd rather play ourselves and do better. Another sticking point is that most gamers who watch gamers on tv think they can do better than the guys on TV. Watching gaming on TV does get me fired up a little, then I lose interest and go play a game rather than watch someone else. Have you ever been over to your friends house and just watched him play a game? Talk about mindnumingly boring.

Maybe my generalizations are incorrect. Sure I think there should be some sort of standard where professional gaming can grow and not somewhere where a monopoly exists (IE Fata1ity). Completely agree that something has to change, but what exactly does or can change? What can we do at the moment? I highly doubt anyone here watches ESPN on a regular basis in order to look for gaming news, one because we know there won't be any, and two because ESPN is in the middle of Baseball season and the NFL training camps are about to start up. If ESPN got more gamers to watch ESPN who requested this type of content, we'd probably see a lot more of it. (Probably on ESPN 2 but hey it's a start).

I dunno, that's my opinion.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Apoptosis wrote:It's funny when you type in WSVG into Google News you see 102 results and all of them on the main page are from GotFrag.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=WSVG&sa=N&tab=wn

I just don't see where the $700,000 went.
Look in someone's pocket....