Lord of the Rings online

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Lord of the Rings online

Post by ibleet »

Does anyone play LOTRO? I just applied for the open beta which starts April 4, with an option to begin immediately with a pre-order. Anyone have any experience with this game?

I had played EQ for a few years, then switched over to WoW for about a year. Now I am deciding between Vanguard and LOTRO. I tried Vanguard 10 day trial, but it seems like its still pretty buggy.
InsolenceAndHeresy
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by InsolenceAndHeresy »

I was in the closed Beta 3 and the Gamespot Stress Test

Personally I thought LOTRO was t3h scheiB, i.e. kinda bad. The only real pro is the pretty stylized and pretty graphics (oh God look at the water and sunlight glinting off the characters), but other than that, the game is REALLY mediocre. The combat is purely turnbased, the skills/abilities are runofthemill, the classes don't really seem to have TOO much differentiation between them (other than being shorter or taller based upon race), and it's kinda like Maple Story, where all the characters of a certain class in a certain level range all end up looking the same.
Mortious
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Mortious »

I have been playing LOTRO since stage 1 beta, and for the most part I have enjoyed it.

The main thing thats drawing me to it however is the ability for founding members (pre order) to purchase a lifetime membership for 200 bucks. I don't see me playing it a bunch, but it would be nice to have something to fall back on when Im burnt out on WoW.

If however you are looking for PvP, look elsewhere. It is not in the game currently and I don't believe they are going to put it in anytime soon if at all.

Edited to add:

I have not seen this in other MMO's but certain areas LOTRO will "instance" a city, so like the starting city(human), starts out all nice and pretty, and then gets attacked, whats really cool about it is new players see the city as it is, and you see it all burned out.

I can see this as a way to bring the person into progressing the story line.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I just began playing the beta on April 6 and it seems pretty cool so far. The game seems to play pretty well, and it isnt really demanding on the system like Vanguard, so you dont need a super computer to play it at decent FPS. I havent had much time to play, but Im considering the pre-order. :ANAL:

Thanks for the opinions.