anyone play BF2 offline?

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

anyone play BF2 offline?

Post by vicaphit »

I need a new shooter, and I bought the HL2 christmas pack with HL2, episode 1, CS, and HL1.

I got it home to discover that the DVD only contained Steam, and I actually had to download all of the games... I have less than 56kbps at home, and have no way to download about 8 gigs worth of games right now.

So, I decided that I wanted BF2, and was wondering how the single player bots do in single player. I dont have a gaming connection yet, but in the future I will, so should I wait or buy it now?

Oh yeah, and is BF2 downloaded or will the install be on the DVD?
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

the bots in single player are REALLY good...at pissing you off. it's a great online game but it definitely wasn't design with single player in mind. Not saying you can't have fun in single player but the real meat and potatos of the game is online. single player is that little granish on your plate, some people eat it but most don't.

I'm sure you have GRAW but it's always worth a mention...I think clancy has actually put out a new game but I forgot what it is called.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I have a couple ghost recons on xbox, and it isnt really my favorite. I played a ghost recon years ago on my pc and it was a little too realistic for me to have fun.

It is the fact that after two shots you could be dead that annoys me, so I have to turn auto aim on, and then the game is too easy

I understand that I would have to update BF2, but is the install on the disc or is it going to screw me over like HL?
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

It comes with an installation cd if thats what you mean...

You will have to download the patchs to play online though
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Wow, that sucks that there wasn't the game on the DVD, you sure there wasn't an extra install file/folder you missed? Sure that steam wasn't just downloading updates rather than the whole game?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

hl2 could be downloaded before it was released, then on the release date an activation code could be purchased. you can also purchase the game instores though and not have to download anything but the patches
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I cant say that i have ever played BF2 single player - and i have had the game since it was released... If and when you get a better connection, check out the Drunken Masters Clan (i'm part of them) @ http://www.drunkenmasters.us

A good first person shooter that i really only like the single player is COD and COD 2. I loved those.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I recently re-installed HL2, and it installs "most" of the game from the disc, but requires that you connect to Steam to "unlock" the game by downloading the missing files.

BF2 will install completely from the disc, with the obvious exception of the 500mb patch. Bots in Single Player are WAAAAAAY to simple. My 8 year old was playing earlier and kicking the living crap out of the bots. I find that the "Unlocks123" mod makes the single player (and LAN) more fun as you have all the unlocks, and so do the bots. The AI of the bots has been increased as well. Great add on from FFolkes.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

what Iceman said... the portion I still have to download for the 6 or 7 games I bought is probably around 6 gigs... I would not have bought it if I knew that was the case.

anyway, 500mb is better than 6 gigs, I can always go to my friends house and download the update.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

sorry for the double post, but here is an update

I am playing single player, and it is pretty fun, but I cant play on the big 64 player maps on single player. I have been practicing my flight skills so when I do get better internet I can hold my own in the skies.

Anyway, great game, cant wait to play against people
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Try to find some folks that host LAN parties...if you ask around at local colleges, you can usaully find some groups that get together. Heck some colleges even have their own group (and generally don't mind another player, even if you're not enrolled). Just a thought :mrgreen:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Well, I work in a really small town (less than 7 or 8 thousand) and the college here is pretty small. I dont see the possibility of LANing unless it is with my friends that I see about once every 2 months (conflicting schedules and long distances).

Anyway, we are getting satallite internet soon at my house, so I will be able to play online.

quick question though, we dont have the money to get a great package, how much bandwidth will I be using if I am playing for an hour a day on BF2 or CS?

we are only getting 7.5 gigs per month, and I really dont want to be the cause for us to go over that.

also, we will only have 512kbps (128 upload), will that be sufficient to not lag all over the place?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Lag isn't determined by your bandwidth, but by your ping times. Unfortunately with satellite the signal has to travel a lot further to get to the destination so Ping times are really high for it. Makes it pretty much impossible to game with out major lag (maybe impossible to play full stop).

But as for bandwidth limits, gaming doesn't really use up a whole lot of the downloading, so wont make you go over the limit you have.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

vicaphit wrote:Well, I work in a really small town (less than 7 or 8 thousand) and the college here is pretty small. I dont see the possibility of LANing unless it is with my friends that I see about once every 2 months (conflicting schedules and long distances).
Well in the town I live in, The population was 6,368 at the 2000 census (Wikipedia) and there was a couple active LAN groups that got together a few times a month. I don't know if they still play though cause I no long have the time to go (plus gas is WAY to frickin expensive to go).
vicaphit wrote:Anyway, we are getting satallite internet soon at my house, so I will be able to play online.
No my friend, you won't be able to play because with satellite internet, the single must go from your house to a geosynchronous satellite about 26 thousand miles away, from the satellite to your ISP then from your ISP to the satellite and finally from the satellite to your house. Thats a round trip of 104,000 miles and at the speed of light (about 186,000 miles per second) thats a minimum ping of 560ms, which is way to high to game with. Maybe you could play a MMORPG but no way could you play a FPS. Sorry :(
Don't feel to bad though, I'm in the same boat at my house
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

damn, I was hoping for good gaming speeds. When Im not at work Im gaming or on the phone, and while gaming, I would love to be online having fun.
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

I don't play BF2.

I prefer CS:S.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Alathald wrote:Maybe you could play a MMORPG but no way could you play a FPS.
I knew someone who played World of Warcraft on a satellite and he kept whining about how bad he lagged, he wasn't sync'ed with the server so we would always see him teleporting around :?
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I will forget trying to play online then... I will just use the connection to download all of the games and updates I need
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

BF2 is good single player... if your not use to the online environment it will be even better.. at least you dont have to worry about people stealing your vechicals. your troops acctuly take orders and work as a team. and then one you start playing online you wont be such a NooB
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I just love how the computer will gun for you in the helis, and you can also snipe all you want and they never try to flank :)