Intel BTX form factor Launched 11/15/2004

You can find all the latest computer hardware press releases in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel BTX form factor Launched 11/15/2004

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel announced the first availability of the Balanced Technology Extended (BTX) form factor in the worldwide distribution channel, with BTX-based products including boxed processors, motherboards, PC chassis, power supplies, and thermal modules from a number of suppliers. An industry event is being held in Taipei Monday in conjunction with the announcement to demonstrate the broad and growing adoption of the new BTX form factor in the desktop computing industry.

For the first time, Intel is shipping boxed desktop building blocks based on BTX into the worldwide distribution channel. This includes boxed processors with a BTX-compatible thermal solution and the Intel(R) Desktop Board D915GMH (microBTX). Specifically, Intel® boxed processors – the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 530J, 550J, and 560J supporting Hyper-Threading Technology – will be offered in units that include a BTX Type I Thermal Module. In addition, Intel is shipping the Intel® Desktop Board D915GMH, a microBTX-based motherboard featuring the Intel® 915G Express chipset that is offered in two configurations with ideal features for either the digital home or the digital office.

The BTX form factor is a key element supporting Intel’s digital home and digital office visions. Relative to the current industry standard (ATX), BTX enables high performance platforms that run quieter and meet the lower price points that these market segments demand. BTX also enables the industry to offer unique system profiles such as small form factors, Cube PCs, and Entertainment PCs using standard components with significantly reduced cost structure as compared to custom solutions or ATX.

For more information:

Intel Pressroom: Virtual Press Kit for Balanced Technology Extended (BTX): http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/p4/btx/

Balanced Technology Extended (BTX) Channel Resource Center: http://www.intel.com/go/btx.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'm curious to see where this goes... Anyone out there have opinions one way or the other?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I think its a positive direction for Intel. AMD though will have to redesign its memory controler in order to use the BTX standard. The location of the memory in the current BTX would require the traces to be longer than is spec for running ddr. The otherthing about BTX is it is to some extent a bandaid for Intels hot CPU's and another way for them to pass on the cost of falty production/research to the customer. They would have been better off realizing that the presscott was doomed from the start and seen what they could do with the Pentium M. Then we would not even need the BTX.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

well i'm not impressed at all with anantech's review of the mBTX or of intel comparing cfm to lfm.
Plus the fact that all of the hot air is exhuasted out the front of a case that is probably going to be sitting on someones desk. Assuming i did my math right 40cfm of an 80mm fan is about 470lfm or if the atx is only using 1 80x80 fan 150lfm is bout 10cfm 2x80 about 20cfm.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

infinitevalence wrote:I think its a positive direction for Intel. AMD though will have to redesign its memory controler in order to use the BTX standard.
AMD says that they have no plan to goto BTX. They say that the reason Intel is going to BTX is because of heat issues with their CPUs and AMD does not have that problem.

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

but they will not admit that they CANT go to btx.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

As far as AMD...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Intel is kinda being forced down the BTX road, will it catch on? Who knows right now. In my opinion Intel is continuing to paint themselves into corners, yet AMD can't/ won't do what they need to to take advantage...and until they do, they'll always be the little step brother.