OCZ Announced New SSD - Core Series V2 SATA II

You can find all the latest computer hardware press releases in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

OCZ Announced New SSD - Core Series V2 SATA II

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ Technology introduces the enhanced Core V2, the latest addition to the SSD series with New Features, Performance Gains, and Increased Storage Capacity
OCZ_CoreV2.jpg
OCZ_CoreV2.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Sunnyvale, CA—August 14, 2008—Responding the demands of enthusiasts and high-performance mobile computing consumers, OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and computer components, today unveiled the newest addition to their industry-leading OCZ Core Series SATA II 2.5” Solid State Drives. The Core Series has established OCZ as a pioneer in the SSD market by offering consumers the benefits of solid drives technology at an affordable price. With the industry continuously shifting in this direction, OCZ strives to place its Core Series at the forefront.

“OCZ continues the trend of enabling consumers with the latest in cutting edge solid state disc technology with the introduction of the new Core V2 SSD,” said Ryan Petersen, CEO of the OCZ Technology Group. “As SSD technology progresses, OCZ will continue to release updated and enhanced solutions to ensure our customers stay on the leading edge. The new Core V2 drives offer consumers and system integrators increased capacities up to 250GB, improved read and write performance and faster seek time, all coupled with a new mini USB port empowering customers with the ability to further improve performance and compatibility by updating firmware in the future.”

Featuring new architecture, the Core Series SSD V2 will be available in up to a massive 250GB capacity and delivers enhanced speeds of up to 170 MB/s read and 98 MB/s write speeds with an improved seek time of less than 0.2-0.3ms, making the Core V2 significantly faster when it comes to both Read/Write and seek-time performance. The addition of a mini-USB port also makes it possible for customers in the field to update the Core V2’s firmware should new versions become available, to further enhance compatibility or performance with future platforms.

The OCZ Core Series V2 delivers additional performance and reliability of the latest SSDs at a 50% less price per gigabyte than other high speed offerings currently on the market. OCZ continues its quest to make SSD technology within reach of the average consumer, and to deliver on the promise of SSDs as an alternative to traditional hard drives in consumer targeted applications, both mobile and desktop.

OCZ Core Series Solid State Drives enable enhanced productivity in everyday computing and intensive multi-tasking applications. With performance benefits that extend beyond the use in notebooks, the Core Series is ideal for an energy-efficient mobile or a RAID configured desktop to provide blazing speeds and advanced access and seek times. Because SSD drives feature no moving parts, the Core Series V2 will keep your laptop or desktop environment cool and quiet and provide a durable alternative and superior shock resistance. With even greater capacities up to 250GB, Core Series V2 now offers sufficient storage for large media files.

Designed for ultimate reliability, Core V2 SSDs have an excellent 1.5 million hour mean time before failure (MTBF) ensuring peace of mind over the long term. All Core Series SSD drives come backed a two year warranty and OCZ’s legendary service and support.

For more information on the OCZ Core Series V2 SATA II SSD, please visit our product page here.

About OCZ Technology
OCZ Technology Group, a member of JEDEC, designs, develops and manufactures ground-breaking, high performance memory and computer components that set industry standards. OCZ products are the first choice for users needing high-reliability, ultra-high performance solutions. In 2007, PC Power & Cooling and Hypersonic PC were brought into the OCZ Technology Group, forming a well-rounded, highly innovative organization that places the company at the forefront of high-end computing. All of OCZ Technology Group's products are available through its worldwide network of distributors, online resellers and retail stores. For more information visit our website at http://www.ocztechnology.com
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OCZ Announced New SSD - Core Series V2 SATA II

Post by dicecca112 »

[rant]
Sustained, we don't care about max numbers, Sustained [/rant]
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

dicecca112 wrote:[rant]
Sustained, we don't care about max numbers, Sustained [/rant]
If the max numbers increased, chances are the sustained numbers increased at the same rate!

If they keep the prices the same as the first Core series, this will be awesome
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

doubtful http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... stcount=12

When they say just a little above, right, in by book that's 1-3 hundred more. I expect these to be just below the price point for the Mtrons
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Just two questions:
1. How much do they cost?
2. Will they work in a RAID0 array?

See I gave up on RAID0 years ago. After having consecutive sets of HDDs go out on me. (My #1 pet peeve with computers is "data loss"!) These drives, now that they have better capacity, should be less prone to the failures of mechanical drives in RAID arrays. And I understand that this might require a "firmware update". But it should still be more reliable than a pair of Veloci-Raptor drives, even if it doesn't beat them in performance. The only catch would be the price...
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

They will work in RAID0, but currently SSDs are less reliable than their HD counterpart. So if you do do this, then make sure they are backed up regularly!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

DMB2000uk wrote:They will work in RAID0, but currently SSDs are less reliable than their HD counterpart. So if you do do this, then make sure they are backed up regularly!

Dan
For the love of christ no there not! They are as reliable as normal hdds. In desktops they are fine, because they are not being knocked around in laptops. It all depends on filesystem. Ext3 is not optimal, but NTFS and FAT are fine
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Ok! If there is any question as to their "reliability" then I'm not interested.

BTW I'm so paranoid of loosing data, like my 27GB collection of MP3s, I back all my files up - multiple times - on different external drives. Still the cost of SSD is going to be high enough that if there isn't definite, measurable, improvements in reliability it's not worth it. It might still have some benefits for Laptops, like increased battery life, but I wasn't going to use them in a laptop. I just thought that since there wouldn't be any "moving parts" to fail, they might be "more reliable". On the other hand, I also realize that their firmware might need to be tailored to use in a RAID0 array. And it's acceptable that they might need to be slowed down a bit in areas like transfer rates for synchronous transfers to work consistently.

Honestly, my current drives aren't that bad. I have 4 Seagate 7200.10 series SATAII drives. They are reasonably fast, even without RAID0. And the bottom line is that for almost half the price of the 128GB version of these SSD drives, I can get a 300GB Velociraptor drive. Which I would not use in a RAID0 array, because they still aren't reliable (enough for me!). I value a Data Storage Module (aka Hard Disk drive) by it's reliability first, and it's performance second. With overall capacity coming in a close Third. Anyways that's my 2¢ worth... I'll stick by it! 8)
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

dicecca112 wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:They will work in RAID0, but currently SSDs are less reliable than their HD counterpart. So if you do do this, then make sure they are backed up regularly!
For the love of christ no there not! They are as reliable as normal hdds. In desktops they are fine, because they are not being knocked around in laptops. It all depends on filesystem. Ext3 is not optimal, but NTFS and FAT are fine
I'm not talking about their running out of write cycles reliability, but just the general failure rate. Nate said he's heard it's around 15-35% within the first year. That's pretty high for chancing all your data with raid.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

dicecca112 wrote:It all depends on filesystem. Ext3 is not optimal, but NTFS and FAT are fine
Just out of curiosity, why is the ext3 file system not ideal?

The whole idea of ext3 is to evenly spread the files across the drive to prevent fragmentation (which doesn't matter with a SSD) but I would think that even spread across the drive would also help with wear-level which is a big worry with SSD...
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

cannyone, if your data is that important to you and you want raid 0 why not run raid 5?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

DMB2000uk wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:
I'm not talking about their running out of write cycles reliability, but just the general failure rate. Nate said he's heard it's around 15-35% within the first year. That's pretty high for chancing all your data with raid.

Dan
Heard, show me stats. If its in Dells,it doesn't shock me they used cheap ssds, plus there in notebooks, and people are horrible with notebooks
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Alathald wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:It all depends on filesystem. Ext3 is not optimal, but NTFS and FAT are fine
Just out of curiosity, why is the ext3 file system not ideal?

The whole idea of ext3 is to evenly spread the files across the drive to prevent fragmentation (which doesn't matter with a SSD) but I would think that even spread across the drive would also help with wear-level which is a big worry with SSD...
Lots of small writes, isn't good for an ssd. You have to tweak ext3 or use ext2.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

martini161 wrote:cannyone, if your data is that important to you and you want raid 0 why not run raid 5?
RAID5 doesn't perform as well as RAID0. And with RAID5 you still need a "spare drive", so it can rebuild the array when a drive fails. So the point is that if the drives are really reliable then you don't have to worry about them crashing. This means that you can then run them in a RAID0 array and not have to worry about data loss. But I guess they aren't that reliable at this point in time! They may not even be as reliable as a mechanical drive, in regular (non-RAID) use. If that's the case, then it would be better to go with fast drives and avoid RAID, which is what I'm already doing.

About the only drives available that are faster than what I have are the Raptor, and Velociraptor drives. I had some Raptor drives before, but the board I was using was designed for SATA II and they were only SATA I drives. Velociraptor drives are SATA II, and have higher capacity, but I haven't bought any yet.