WD ANNOUNCES WORLD'S MOST RELIABLE SATA HDD

You can find all the latest computer hardware press releases in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

WD ANNOUNCES WORLD'S MOST RELIABLE SATA HDD

Post by Apoptosis »

WD ANNOUNCES WORLD'S MOST RELIABLE 7,200 RPM ENTERPRISE SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVES

Next-generation 400 GB WD Caviar® RE2 Features Industry-leading 1.2 Million Hours MTBF, Backed By 5-year Warranty
LAKE FOREST, Calif. July 26, 2005 Western Digital Corp. (NYSE: WDC) today introduced the most reliable high capacity Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives for server and network-attached storage applications. Reliability-rated at 1.2 million hours MTBF (mean time between failure) in high duty cycle environments, WD Caviar® RE2 (RAID Edition) 400 GB hard drives are designed from the ground up to deliver enterprise reliability.

The demand for high capacity, high reliability storage is rapidly growing. According to market research firm Gartner, the number of EIDE or ATA/SATA terabytes shipped into multi-user servers and storage systems will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 54 percent between 2005 and 2009. (Market Share and Forecast: Hard Disk Drives Worldwide, 2000-2009, John Monroe, April 2005)

Meeting the 24x7 demands of enterprise environments, WD Caviar RE2 hard drives employ RAFF(TM) (Rotary Accelerometer Feed Forward) technology, which maintains drive performance in servers and storage arrays where rotational vibration robs performance. Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER), a unique WD feature, maximizes WD Caviar RE2 reliability in the enterprise by coordinating error handling with RAID controllers to help prevent drive fallout caused by extended desktop hard drive error-recovery processes.

Boosting performance on the 7,200 RPM WD Caviar RE2 is Native Command Queuing (NCQ), 16 MB cache and 8.7 milliseconds (ms) average seek time. Like all WD enterprise-class hard drives, WD Caviar RE2 is supported with a 5-year warranty.

"The transition of enterprise infrastructure to serial interfaces is accelerating due to the proven maturity of SATA and the emerging deployment of SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)," said Richard E. Rutledge, vice president and general manager of WD's Computing Components Group. "Building on the market adoption of WD Caviar RE and WD Raptor®, the next-generation WD Caviar RE2 400 GB demonstrates our unique ability to deliver what our enterprise customers demand: high capacity, reliability, performance and advanced features."

"WD Caviar RE2 400 GB represents a significant milestone in the development of the blended SATA-SAS enterprise architecture," said Joe Leader, senior director of channel marketing and business development for LSI Logic storage adapters. "For the first time, SAS offers a storage ecosystem that interconnects seamlessly with next-generation SATA hard drives. The highly reliable, high capacity WD Caviar RE2 is an exceptional complement to LSI Logic's MegaRAID SATA 300-8X and MegaRAID SAS products. The market demand for hard drives with both high capacity and high reliability is already large and growing, and the timing with next generation SATA and SAS could not be better."

WD Caviar RE2 Availability & Pricing

WD Caviar RE2 400 GB (model WD4000YR) hard drives began shipping this month and will be shipping in volume next month. Estimated street pricing for WD Caviar RE2 is $289 USD. Additional information about WD Caviar RE2 hard drives may be found on the company's Web site at http://www.westerndigital.com/products.

About WD

WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company's core business produces reliable, high-performance hard drives that keep users' data close-at-hand and secure from loss.

WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading systems manufacturers and selected resellers under the Western Digital and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's Web site (http://www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I thought that WD already had the most reliable hard drives on the market now. Five year warranty, I will buy one.

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Nope thats Seagate, they have as far as i know the longest running drives.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Ermm, well, I have had a few problems with Seagate, though they may have changed a good deal since I've last dealt with them. Their setup utility used to be crap, and presented a lot of problems for me when I would try to delete partitions or, in some cases, even try to just format it. As I reiterate, it's been awhile, and I have to agree with alister on WD's quality, as I currently am running a 60GB 7200RPM in this compaq I'm on, and I've had it for 3 years, with no problems whatsoever. But you know, I believe I would be willing to give Seagate another chance, given I've not dealt with their SATA offering and am interested to know how that played out...didn't mean any offense, infinitevalence, as I know you're better versed than I am on current hardware (meant that sincerely) :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

don't WD use a PATA to SATA bridge chip?

doesn't seagate use a native SATA controller
doesn't that give better access times?

mayby i'm worng

It wouldn't bother me as access times are mostly useless on desktop pc's

I would still go for Seagate as they have had the 5yr warranty out for a while - that shows their confidence in thier products!

I use Seagate for all drives!
their quiet, fast and reliable --> what more do you want?

Its good to see others increasing their warranties - But isn't this driver for the enterprise market like the Raptor?

Maxtor do the same - the Maxline has the warranty and diamonmax hasn't
they are both the same drives - just you pay for your warranty!

When will ALL drive manufacturers give 5yr warranties on ALL drives?

Thank You Seagate!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

WD has just introduced a native SATA drive so yes the majority have been using a bridge chip. However this did not impact the performance any so i would not worry about it.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

It would seem they have gotten better, as I've heard the same sentiment from a few of my friend who have built gaming systems....They definitely steered me away from Maxtor, because they have had a much more frequent experience with drive failure than with WD and Seagate. I guess I'll give em a try, see how they've innovated themselves in the past few years. And btw, I believe you're right about Seagate having a native SATA controller.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

As infinitevalence said, the bridge chip makes hardly any difference (mayby .1ms access)

It goes to show with Seagate, they can use native SATA and STILL give reliability, performance and low noise

All the others, use "old" technology,
The bridge chip (to me) just shows how much R&D etc. Seagate have compaired to the others

WD "should" be up there, they don't have to compete with Seagate and Maxtor in the SCSI market! So they don't have to worry about encroaching on their real market.

I'm prob comming accross as a Seagate fanboy, but..