Intel Files Response To AMD Complaint

You can find all the latest computer hardware press releases in here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Sept. 1, 2005 - Intel Corporation today filed its response to a lawsuit recently initiated by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) regarding Intel's business practices. In the response, Intel refutes AMD's claims and states that its business practices are both fair and lawful.

The Intel response explains that AMD's claims are factually incorrect and contradictory. In addition, AMD's complaint -- by attempting to impede Intel's ability to lower its prices -- would hurt consumers, not help them.

"Innovation, investment, customer focus and great products have led to Intel's success over the years," said Bruce Sewell, Intel general counsel. "These are the things that have been fundamental to our decision making as we've sought to move the industry and the pace of technology forward.

"Likewise, AMD has made its own business decisions and choices that have determined its position in the marketplace. Yet, with its lawsuit, AMD seeks to instead blame Intel for the many business failures AMD has experienced that are actually a direct result of AMD's own actions or inactions."

In its response filed today with the U.S. District Court in Delaware, Intel described the semiconductor industry business model that has led to phenomenal growth and steadily increasing value to customers over the years. That business model is based on three fundamental principles: production, product and price. The Intel response indicates that "AMD's choices and behaviors with respect to each of these core principles over the period covered by the complaint provide a compelling answer to the allegations it has made in this case."

Intel's response further states, "AMD's complaint presents a case study in legal dissonance. Although AMD has purportedly brought its complaint to promote competition, its true aim is the opposite. Under the cover of competition law, AMD seeks to shield itself from competition. AMD seeks to impede Intel's ability to lower prices and thereby to allow AMD to charge higher prices. AMD's colorful language and fanciful claims cannot obscure AMD's goal of shielding AMD from price competition."
I'm keeping my thoughts to myself on this one! What do you guys think?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I think everyone at Intel is on LSD
[s2i]HystericPoison
Legit User
Legit User

Post by [s2i]HystericPoison »

AMD for the win!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nate are your acting as Troll for your own site? LOL

There is no right answer here.. Intel supposedly forced customers into buying only their product, and offering big incentives for playing their game..

But no-one forced their hand, The fact Intel can lower their prices means nothing. In my opinion they got there for a reason..They have the marketing etc. Intel is a household name.. All of this made Intel..

I think AMD have a superb product.. but in my opinion Intel just took advantage of their situation.. AMD was always going to have a tough job... they started making clones of Intel cpus? The mobo's etc. only recently have stability and standardisation.. AMD was always playing second fiddle to Intel.
Most pc's are for desktop use or lower-end models so to the average joe... AMD=Gaming means nothing..

So since Intel are so big, say 80% of "standard" oem pc's are Intel... Then if Intel offer an incentive to people who buy over ~5000 units, the oems can't say no.. This pushes AMD out of the market.. But all companies offer incentives..

This may start a flame war or @ least a fanboy dual

Intel are guilty to some extent.. But I can't see them getting fined too much..

In the end every dog has it's day....

Here boy.. here X2....
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yes indeed, at one time AMD chips weren't the best for gaming, and perhaps then they were playing "second fiddle" to Intel. However, now I personally believe AMD will be holding the reigns with its Athlon 64 and X2 chips, as they have been made for some hellacious overclocks and gaming. Intel is mad because they can't get their head outta their collective asses and get the ball rolling in terms of thermal management (which I believe AMD has down and mastered), balanced with performance and excellent pricing. I think Intel has always been overpriced, and they will probably remain as such. "Logical Processing" can kiss my rear, X2 has the real thing!!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

spot on :)

But i still can't see Intel getting fined too much

as i said every dog has it's day... Intel's a little long in the tooth

I use Intel... Guess What my next rig will be.....
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

of course, don't get me wrong, I love AMD and would use them almost exclusively, that is unless Intel manages to get their Thermal Management down and offer a true dual-core solution (which I think they're in the works of doing, or might have already released?? not sure there), not to mention be competitive with AMD on pricing. If those factors come into play I may decide to incorporate Intel into my mad mad schemes, lol.