Verizon signs up more new subscribers than AT&T

You can find all the latest computer hardware press releases in here.
Guru
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Guru »

Verizon's Wireless' Droid Incredible helped it outpace AT&T in signing up new customers during the most recent fiscal quarter.
In the race for new customers, does Verizon even need the iPhone, at this point?

Apparently, the carrier's bevy of Google Android phones is working out nicely. Both Verizon Wireless and AT&T reported their quarterly earnings this week, and Verizon's new subscriptions actually outpaced those of AT&T, as The Wall Street Journal pointed out Friday.

Verizon signed up 665,000 new wireless customers during the last three months, while AT&T signed up 496,000. That was actually a 40 percent dip from a year ago for Verizon, but it shows that AT&T's having the exclusive right to offer Apple's smartphone hasn't given it that much of a leg up, at least during the last quarter.

iPhone 4 sales are coming in at a faster clip than the iPhone 3GS a year ago, as 3 million were sold in the first three weeks. AT&T said earlier this week it had activated 3.2 million iPhones during the previous quarter, which includes both older model iPhones and the iPhone 4.

Verizon recently began selling the Android-based Droid Incredible and Droid X.

A better test of how well the two carriers match up head-to-head will be at the end of next quarter, since the iPhone 4 came out on June 24, just a few days before the end of the fiscal quarter.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Verizon signs up more new subscribers than AT&T

Post by HONkUS »

I switched from AT&T to Verizon, went from a 1st gen iPhone to a Moto Droid. Proceeded to root it and install a custom version of Froyo dubbed Bugless Beast v0.4 (the original Droid has an amazing community) then managed to over clock the phone from 600mhz up to 1200mhz using a custom kernel and an app. There's even an app for rooted users that lets you browse and install custom ROM's directly from the phone called ROM Manager. I could never do any of that with Apple's nazi App store policies. Now atleast according to Quadrant (THE Android benchmark suite) my phone outperforms a Nexus One w/ Froyo and even the new Droid X. I know it runs Quake 3 at damn near 60fps anyway :) Verizon also has a nice Android app that lets you monitor your usage stats in Widget form right there on the desktop to help you not go over on anything (I guess thats what it's called in Android)