Am Trying the GPU client for a while...

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Am Trying the GPU client for a while...

Post by Cannyone »

Hi all. I downloaded and installed the GPU client on one of my computers. It's video card is an X1900. That system sits out in the living room and primarily helps me keep a running tally of the family's finances. My mother is elderly and my sister is in the middle of treatment for Cancer, so I've been enlisted to "take care of them". As in drive them around, and cook and shop, do the laundry, etc... It's been quite the adjustment for me, but family is important.

Anyway, I can leave that system running. So I really wanted to try the GPU folding client first. I should still be able to hop on that system and do a little spreadsheet work even with that client running. I suppose I could also try running one of the SMP clients. It's just that system in an older 939-pin 4600+ @2.4GHz, so I suspect I might get better results using the GPU client.

It's just that once you learn about the steps required for a cell to be made, folding becomes fascinating. At the same time, having a family member with Cancer really brings the need for this research "home". I was previously folding over at the Tech Report, but I needed the "nudge" to get back into it. Besides, when I was folding before you needed a special client as well as a special set of video drivers for it to work. So I've never tried that before. :)

OH and my new Username (as least for the purpose of folding) is Petros957 and I did indeed enter LR's team number.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Am Trying the GPU client for a while...

Post by Bwall »

Thanks for joining our team! It's great to have you on board helping the cause along with the rest of our dedicated group. Unfortunately a significant number of our members are just like you in that someone that we care about dearly has had their lives changed by something without a cure. I'm sure you'll find that many of them will agree with you that family is important, if not the most important.
We obviously aren't the "biggest and highest ppd" folding team but nearly all of our regular active forum members contribute what they can. Hey, every little bit helps.

edit: Oh yeah, I think I read somewhere that while the numbers of people folding on GPU's are low, the GPU client is the best way to fold. I can hardly wait for them to come out with the new GPU client supporting HD 2 and HD 3 series cards as the improvement is huge. I have a number of "slower" systems, we'll call them, waiting for the new GPU client and 3850/3870 cards to do some massive folding with.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Glad to hear you've joined up, I've only recently done so myself (I've got one whole WU...Yay me!). I've had many family members with cancer and I myself have only recently gone into remission from leukemia (ALL). While this project probably didn't help with my treatment, it will hopefully help others with their's so they don't have to crap I've gone through. It definitely changes you and those around you. I wish your sister the best and as for cooking, I've found that the chemo destroys taste buds but a little hot sauce does wonders...I've even used it on a candy bar >_<

Anyway, you can try running the console version as a service so you don't have to worry about starting it up, you won't notice any ill effects doing everyday stuff...glad to have ya either way!
(now I just need to get my main rig up and folding)
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I don't have one WU done just yet... I checked the box to pull "large work units" and proceeded to pull a monster. It's about 2500000001 stages! :P So a couple more hours and it should finish. I know before that I never got a WU this size. And it estimated (last night) that this Unit would take slightly less than 14 hours, at 2.5 stages/second. So I'm impressed with how well the GPU folds! :)

Actually my sister is doing rather well; she isn't "fighting the treatments", and understands that her current discomfort is benefiting her health in the long run. So her spirits remain high despite the fact that she gets nauseated and the daily radiation therapy is getting rather tiring. Her case is actually a recurrence, so they've done a series of Chemo, now she is going through a round of radiation, then she will have another round of Chemo. She gets lots of support from her friends. And I help whenever, and with whatever, I can. Of course I'm not getting paid for it, but I don't really care. I care about my mom and sister, and I'm willing to give up most of my independence to help them as long as they need me.

And honestly, giving up my independence was a really big deal for me. For a long time now I've fostered this illusion that I didn't "need" other people's help. I was sold out to the idea that I was smart enough, and strong enough, to overcome anything. But now I see that things might change, and circumstances can very easily exceed my ability to control them. So that's a real "wake up call", if you get my drift... Still the overall effect on me is a good one!

I guess I should thank you guys for putting up with my rambling attempts to come to grips with this. I'll shut up now and go load the dishwasher...
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I decided to pull that system apart and install the Koolance kit on that X1900 again. Then I can bump the core clock back up to 725MHz and it should fold much better.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Your better off folding with the Q6600 than the x1900. It'll generate at least 2500 points per day for the team.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

dicecca112 wrote:Your better off folding with the Q6600 than the x1900. It'll generate at least 2500 points per day for the team.

Can he actually fold with BOTH ??? :-k
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Potentially yes. He could fold two cores as SMP, one for GPU (need to pass info to and from the GPU), and one the normal client. It'd be less than SMP on all 4
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

dicecca112 wrote:Your better off folding with the Q6600 than the x1900. It'll generate at least 2500 points per day for the team.
The Q6600 isn't in the PC that is going to be left on all day. The CPU in that rig is a "939-pin 4600+ @2.4GHz"
Cannyone wrote:so I suspect I might get better results using the GPU client.
Is Cannyone right?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)