Sorry Guys!

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Sorry Guys!

Post by GI-JOE »

Lost my work laptop today(got it exchange for a LOCKED down desktop :evil: ), so my folding contribution has stopped..... :(

Unless anyone can think/knows of a way to run F@H on a limited user account...... No administrative access anymore... ](*,)
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Sorry Guys!

Post by martini161 »

you could always boot it into linux on a usb drive when you leave for the night, dont know if that would be smiled upon though
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

martini161 wrote:you could always boot it into linux on a usb drive when you leave for the night, dont know if that would be smiled upon though
Unfortunately the software they use initalizes at boot...... :(

Won't even allow safe mode.....
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

GI-JOE wrote:
martini161 wrote:you could always boot it into linux on a usb drive when you leave for the night, dont know if that would be smiled upon though
Unfortunately the software they use initalizes at boot...... :(

Won't even allow safe mode.....
in the BIOS? If it doesnt load from the BIOS, you can use a USB drive to boot from and it will bypass all of their restrictions (thats what Martini was saying). Just dont know if you could get it on the internet or not.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

I get what you are saying, booting from thumbdrive would work, but I highly doubt I could get it online.. They can't even get firefox to work right because of all the restrictions/settings/policy. :( (And that was the IT guy trying to set it up, said he couldn't make it work because we are connected through Norweigan proxies(which is where my company originates from))
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
Geriatrix
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Geriatrix »

Can you even install the program? How limited are you without "administrative access?" If you get it to work (either install as the computer it or booting from a thumbdrive), you don't fully need online access. All you need is the WU files...and you can get those from home. I wouldn't recommend doing GPU...but SMP might be worthwhile. My work computer allows me to install the program, and although it only worked for a while (the IT guy at my school randomly checked my computer...and has since "forbidden" me from running it...sigh...) it worked.

I just cut and pasted the WU's for smp and gpu and shared them between my home and work computers.

So in the morning before work, I would go to the gpu and smp folders on my home PC and cut the WU files (work, unitinfo, log and queue files) and put it on a USB stick (I did both smp and gpu) - then at school (where I work), I pasted the file into the appropriate Folding@home folder. The problem is that with GPU it can't reconnect when its finished...so you really can only get one WU done in a day (you can do more...but then you have to cut and paste more than one WU...which is doable, but getting them sent in becomes a bit of a pain). Then, at the end of the day I would cut the files back to the USB, take it home, and paste in back in - my computer at home would either send it in, or in the case of SMP, just finish off where the work computer left off - and voila...you have folding on a "locked" computer with! Or at least that's how I did it.

Nathan
Q9550 - Asus P5Q-E - HD4870 - 4Gig OCZ 8500 Reaper - Corsair 650TX - OCZ Vendetta 2 - Coolermaster 590
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

Geriatrix wrote:Can you even install the program? How limited are you without "administrative access?" If you get it to work (either install as the computer it or booting from a thumbdrive), you don't fully need online access. All you need is the WU files...and you can get those from home. I wouldn't recommend doing GPU...but SMP might be worthwhile. My work computer allows me to install the program, and although it only worked for a while (the IT guy at my school randomly checked my computer...and has since "forbidden" me from running it...sigh...) it worked.

I just cut and pasted the WU's for smp and gpu and shared them between my home and work computers.

So in the morning before work, I would go to the gpu and smp folders on my home PC and cut the WU files (work, unitinfo, log and queue files) and put it on a USB stick (I did both smp and gpu) - then at school (where I work), I pasted the file into the appropriate Folding@home folder. The problem is that with GPU it can't reconnect when its finished...so you really can only get one WU done in a day (you can do more...but then you have to cut and paste more than one WU...which is doable, but getting them sent in becomes a bit of a pain). Then, at the end of the day I would cut the files back to the USB, take it home, and paste in back in - my computer at home would either send it in, or in the case of SMP, just finish off where the work computer left off - and voila...you have folding on a "locked" computer with! Or at least that's how I did it.

Nathan
Sadly no, I can't even install anything. Heck, I can't even run programs like core temp!(Which doesn't even need installed!) ](*,)
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800