** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: ** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Post by XstollieX »

XstollieX wrote:
kylepaddock wrote:XstollieX why are your points sofar down?
I wasn't around most of the weekend and My phenom rig crashed and my I7 was down for some testing I will get the I7 back up tonight.
everything is back up for the time being. Have a bit of testing left to do so I will be totally down for about 2-3 hours but right now est ~32k
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

smack323 wrote:I just think its a bit different recruiting people vs I know this guys who is already folding putting up 300k per day and he will change and few names and team#'s and add 150k ppd to my team.
If your asking if i think it fair and in the spirt of a competition...not really - but i also dont want to see sporg and dicecca lose out on anything - so it is what it is. congrats. hopefully team F members cont to keep folding for LR after the contest.

My friend who is folding with me, I'd like to think I "recruited him" 5 months ago, he was not folding then and had 1 box, an amd dual server with an 8800gtx.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Heh, dang guys!! LR is doing one heck of a good deed by giving these procs out. AMD even more so for giving LR the procs!! I remember when nate got these procs from AMD he was having a hard time trying to figure out what is a good fair way to GIVE these away. This contest is the best idea. It involves a large amount of people for a good cause at that. Dont hate if you dont win! That is what I fear most. LR has contests like this all the time, your chance will come.

As for my 2 cents.... Perhaps removing me and Spitter adding the next big PPD standby person in? I dont know how fair that would be. I know not everyone has the access to hardware to push a large PPD. Maybe I can put names into a hat and draw? However, I think it might be too late? OR....Give 2 extra spots for drawing. So the team winners plus the extras plus Spitters and Mine?
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

IF any changes are done at all I say do it this way...take the two surprise producers...Spitter and Dragon, add up their point totals and split them up between all the teams ( less the original predicted PPD they started the competition with, they keep that). Leave the teams as they are. I know Wifuzzy and Tracehagan and others on team F were working really hard before Spitter added his massive PPD so it would come accross as punishing them for the PPD Spitter added. Which I gather he only added to answer the additions he knew Dragon was about to add. Everyone knew Darkstar's PPD was high and he was teamed accordingly. Yes he did add a bit but not unexpectedly high numbers. This way team F keeps Spitters original expected PPD plus their part of the additional. Personally I am fine leaving it as is but IF a change is to be made I think this could be a "fair" option. I am cool no matter what

P.S. Jakegub was removed for not folding for 5 days which he had a reason for. He got back at it quick. Billabong hasn't posted a WU in 8 days. Maybe he should be asked what is up and replaced by Jakegub if he is not folding or has no good reason for no WU's. Yes I know that would give team F more points but I think it would be the "right thing" and could offset some of the above mentioned options if chosen.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

I say leave it the way it is.

According to the way I read it The spirit of the 2009 F@h War has not been harmed in any way.

The way I read it this competition was (for you racers out there) an open/ /unlimited class competition with and anything-everything goes rule set. Well, anything short of actual theft of computer processing.

Spitter ran with the idea, and quite frankly,, ran away with the idea. All while the rest of your were off gaming, hunting for holiday deals, or otherwise sitting around on your collective butts when you should have been out recuiting your friends as well.

Don't get upset at someone when they lay the smack down on you. Especially when LR is the ultimate beneficiary of all the F@h points. Instead, go out in find how many degrees separate you from Atlas folding or Estonia Donates, The use those ties to recruit some points for your team. Kick Spitters butt,,,,if you can!

(go ahead! flame on! I can take it! :lol: )
Last edited by Vectrexer on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

stopthekilling77 wrote:Anybody out there know how to make the DVI->VGA terminator plug/dummy plug?
I just need a diagram since the one linked to here doesn't work anymore

Edit: #-o I glossed over the pin configuration in the original thread. The upshot is if anyone here needs to know how to make one just ask!
PM me your address and I'll mail one out to you.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

i say leave the teams as is. it's part of the contest!!

fyi - i probably will have little to no points for a couple days. i tried getting fancy and unlocking my proc to have 4 cores http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/52266 ... abyte.html . it worked, sort of. i was able to see the 4 cores. i dont think i had the newest bios so i updated that. now my smp folding is stuck and my system freezes when i run the gpu folding... i wont be able to mess with it until probably wed. such is life. :(
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:Heh, dang guys!! LR is doing one heck of a good deed by giving these procs out. I remember when nate got these procs from AMD he was having a hard time trying to figure out what is a good fair way to GIVE these away. This contest is the best idea. It involves a large amount of people for a good cause at that. Dont hate if you dont win! That is what I fear most. LR has contests like this all the time, your chance will come.

As for my 2 cents.... Perhaps removing me and Spitter adding the next big PPD standby person in? I dont know how fair that would be. I know not everyone has the access to hardware to push a large PPD. Maybe I can put names into a hat and draw? However, I think it might be too late? OR....Give 2 extra spots for drawing. So the team winners plus the extras plus Spitters and Mine?

why yours? :-k

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

Since anything goes, I want to put forth a thought. When we were setting up teams, there was considerable effort to make the teams even based on projected ppd. In the spirit of fair play, everyone should have reported what they reasonably expected to put out. For instance, I averaged 3k/per day prior to the contest. I was supposed to get a new computer, but I wasn't sure when. Fortunately, it arrived a few days before the competition started. To keep from folding far under what I thought my setup capable, I chose to stay with my average, knowing they would adjust the teams according to my new ppd. Though I did mention in one of the original threads that I might be able to put another computer in the mix.

I honestly don't think someone capable of putting out 75k a day or more had no clue he was capable of doing it. Furthermore, since it was stated the teams would be changed in the first few days to even things up to avoid a mismatch, I assume waiting past those few days to really turn things on would be a way to ensure victory. Doing this, while technically allowed, would kill the spirit of fair play with a shotgun from behind on her wedding day. If spitter had been producing 100k+ since the beginning, I wouldn't have such a bad taste in my mouth about it. However, he's a long way off from the 5k a day he reported. in this post. http://forums.legitreviews.com/#p156067 Yes, it's great that he is putting in serious numbers for Legit Reviews and I applaud what he's done from that standpoint.

In the same vein, I know Dragon Cooler is putting out very respectable numbers as well, but I can't find a post where he stated what he was capable of doing. The first post I found stated he was thinking of doing just what he did, adding his servers at work to the mix. http://forums.legitreviews.com/#p158579

Do what you feel is best Nate and I stand by it 100%, but I needed to get that off my chest. Otherwise, ignore me. I haven't been able to game in 2 weeks.

** edited for grammar **
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

werewolfdaddy wrote:Since anything goes, I want to put forth a thought. When we were setting up teams, there was considerable effort to make the teams even based on projected ppd. In the spirit of fair play, everyone should have reported what they reasonably expected to put out. For instance, I averaged 3k/per day prior to the contest. I was supposed to get a new computer, but I wasn't sure when. Fortunately, it arrived a few days before the competition started. To keep from folding far under what I thought my setup capable, I chose to stay with my average, knowing they would adjust the teams according to my new ppd. Though I did mention in one of the original threads that I might be able to put another computer in the mix.

I honestly don't think someone capable of putting out 75k a day or more had no clue he was capable of doing it. Furthermore, since it was stated the teams would be changed in the first few days to even things up to avoid a mismatch, I assume waiting past those few days to really turn things on would be a way to ensure victory. Doing this, while technically allowed, would kill the spirit of fair play with a shotgun from behind on her wedding day. If spitter had been producing 100k+ since the beginning, I wouldn't have such a bad taste in my mouth about it. However, he's a long way off from the 5k a day he reported. in this post. http://forums.legitreviews.com/#p156067 Yes, it's great that he is putting in serious numbers for Legit Reviews and I applaud what he's done from that standpoint.

In the same vein, I know Dragon Cooler is putting out very respectable numbers as well, but I can't find a post where he stated what he was capable of doing. The first post I found stated he was thinking of doing just what he did, adding his servers at work to the mix. http://forums.legitreviews.com/#p158579

Do what you feel is best Nate and I stand by it 100%, but I needed to get that off my chest. Otherwise, ignore me. I haven't been able to game in 2 weeks.

** edited for grammar **

I like that. I thing you chould stay with your AV you can o up a little but not 95K I averaged 2K and i am at 2121 PPD
*Had to edit*
Last edited by kylepaddock on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

I do understand what alot of you are saying...the problem is, this needed to be addressed before the contest started...not 15 days into a 21 day contest. My way back machine is broken, and even if it was left to me I would have no clue on how to fix this. The sad fact is if you touch 1 team you must redo all the teams , as in start from scratch. It's an all or nothing thing. You can't just pick on the top 2 teams. You need to take all the teams apart and relevel them. This is not so much my opinion as a lack of options.
This leads me back to...this needed to be addressed at the begining...not 15 days into a 21 day contest.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

werewolfdaddy wrote: I honestly don't think someone capable of putting out 75k a day or more had no clue he was capable of doing it. Furthermore, since it was stated the teams would be changed in the first few days to even things up to avoid a mismatch, I assume waiting past those few days to really turn things on would be a way to ensure victory. Doing this, while technically allowed, would kill the spirit of fair play with a shotgun from behind on her wedding day. If spitter had been producing 100k+ since the beginning, I wouldn't have such a bad taste in my mouth about it. However, he's a long way off from the 5k a day he reported. in this post. http://forums.legitreviews.com/#p156067 Yes, it's great that he is putting in serious numbers for Legit Reviews and I applaud what he's done from that standpoint.
My idea was to have the first week of the conext everyman for themselves with the top 4 people getting processor - this would have brought the sandbaggers out of the woodwork and hopefully had everybody up and running full speed. then teams could be balanced accordingly based on those numbers. that would have left 6 processor to go to the winning team, and assuming the winning team would have someone who already won a processor that would put maybe one or two up fro random drawing so everyone who folds still has a shot at something.. maybe next time.

I reported 3kppd based on my 8800gso and 4830 that were online ready to go. I couldnt figure out how to get my 5770 and 5750 running. After the contest started and with some help from other LR members I was able to get those two cards up and running,then I started trying to recruit friends and family. Unfortunatly I dont know people with 20 gtx295's and 40 9800gtx's... all folding already
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
pmanipole
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by pmanipole »

i agree that you cant change the rules after the game has already started. i am shooting for 2nd team place. and maybe a lucky runner-up cpu to go with my new freedom after my divorce in a few days
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

It looks like there is no changing it. Now I am just crossing my fingers for a random one.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

To be fair, I can't see taking the processors out of the hands of team f. Everyone's folding their hearts out right now. Sigh. If only AMD would come save the day and give CPU's to everyone that folded.
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

But it is kind unfair for the people like me who are working D**m hard to get 2K. then there are the people with extra servers and are getting 75+K.
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

kylepaddock wrote:But it is kind unfair for the people like me who are working D**m hard to get 2K. then there are the people with extra servers and are getting 75+K.
Hell, my laptop is folding almost 24/7...

Is it fair that I just spent the last five years of my life married, working full time and going to night school three nights a week and not get to bed most nights until 1 AM, only to graduate while our economy is at its lowest since the great depression? That I spent those years foregoing That I have a crappy laptop I fold on because my real PC is over seven years old (I've kept it alive to get through college, I got the laptop so that I could take more classes to graduate...)?

Never have I seen so many people bitch, moan and cry over a contest where half the stuff being given away is just for showing up and participate!

Life's not fair, get over it.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

I'll say my piece once: this type of contest is by nature unbalanced, but the LR staff has been more than gracious and fair to all of us contestants. You signed up for the contest knowing what kind of PPD you could put out and knew that others would be able to put out a lot more. In my case my PPD was significantly higher because I hadn't been folding since I think April and I'd upgraded my rig since then. Anyway people everyone here has an equal chance of winning the leftover CPUs.

No sour grapes on my end, I gave it all I could and still got stomped but I'm not whining about it.
There was never a guarantee that everyone would win so just dial back the stress level a bit and try to enjoy the competitive spirit!
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

I'm just happy there is going to be a random draw for some of the processors. :)

Even if the teams were initially formed with close-to-equal PPD, the contest from the start was unbalanced. There are just too many variables to make the war "fair". Even then, how would you make this whole war "fair"? It would hardly be a war anymore LOL

Either ways, the goal of Folding@home isn't about winning a prize; it's about contributing to science and hope for a better future. :supz:
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

FeRaL wrote:
kylepaddock wrote:But it is kind unfair for the people like me who are working D**m hard to get 2K. then there are the people with extra servers and are getting 75+K.
Hell, my laptop is folding almost 24/7...

Is it fair that I just spent the last five years of my life married, working full time and going to night school three nights a week and not get to bed most nights until 1 AM, only to graduate while our economy is at its lowest since the great depression? That I spent those years foregoing That I have a crappy laptop I fold on because my real PC is over seven years old (I've kept it alive to get through college, I got the laptop so that I could take more classes to graduate...)?

Never have I seen so many people bitch, moan and cry over a contest where half the stuff being given away is just for showing up and participate!

Life's not fair, get over it.
Yikes...this person needs a hug