Folding@Home on Core i7 processors for big points

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Folding@Home on Core i7 processors for big points

Post by XstollieX »

How do I get fahspy to work with this. right now I am just running standard smp but its cooking through at about 3:40 each step.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

XstollieX wrote:How do I get fahspy to work with this. right now I am just running standard smp but its cooking through at about 3:40 each step.
Never mind :mrgreen: Figured it out
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

KnightRid wrote:Does anyone from here have some REAL numbers to show what the completion rate is on a Core i7-920 or similar system? Mike
Folded for almost 48 hours on my rig @ 3.6ghz/7 cores. the pic shows a full 24 hours at least(restarted to OC the cpu)...(hope that's what you were looking for Mike)

i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nice - so then you will indeed get more points than if you just ran the smp setup - hmmm - I might have to try this - downloaded the programs needed already, just have to turn virtualization back on in bios and get it running.

One more question - is there a way to get the VM auto running after a computer roboot or does it have to be done manually? didnt know if you can add flags to the vmplayer.exe or not to auto run FAH from the startup group in Windows.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

KnightRid wrote:One more question - is there a way to get the VM auto running after a computer roboot or does it have to be done manually? didnt know if you can add flags to the vmplayer.exe or not to auto run FAH from the startup group in Windows.
That part I don't know.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Ah there is a talk about the points. It's posted in the guide, but I shall post it again.
Bonus point requirements

1) At least 10 Core A2 work units must be completed. (1920 or 25403 pt units qualify)
2) At least 80% of Core A2 work units must be completed in time.
3) A passkey must be used.
InspectahACE wrote:
KnightRid wrote:One more question - is there a way to get the VM auto running after a computer roboot or does it have to be done manually? didnt know if you can add flags to the vmplayer.exe or not to auto run FAH from the startup group in Windows.
That part I don't know.
Yes. Just make a shortcut to your folding file and put it in your Startup folder. That's what I did for my Notfred client, so I assume the same thing can be done for "Linux FAH Image"

Btw, guide's been updated.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

geokilla wrote:
InspectahACE wrote:
That part I don't know.
Yes. Just make a shortcut to your folding file and put it in your Startup folder. That's what I did for my Notfred client, so I assume the same thing can be done for "Linux FAH Image"

Btw, guide's been updated.
no I mean using the VM - can I start the VM AND FAH IN the VM through an automated process or do I have to manually start the VM and FAH each time windows reboots?

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well you can probably launch the VM via a startup shortcut link, and then you should be able to set FAH to automatically start on the boot of linux (you'd have to have a google as to how to start up stuff in linux on boot :P).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

DMB2000uk wrote:Well you can probably launch the VM via a startup shortcut link, and then you should be able to set FAH to automatically start on the boot of linux (you'd have to have a google as to how to start up stuff in linux on boot :P).

Dan
+1. Basically what I said. Just create the folding file shortcut and place it in the startup folder.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

well that's just damn great. I lost that huge WU. I updated windows and rebooted once or twice and all of a sudden it was either "corrupt or past quota" (deadline?)...so I started over with the non bigadv..ill churn those out for a bit then head back on the bigadv. I wish the work folder was easy to find on this.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

geokilla wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:Well you can probably launch the VM via a startup shortcut link, and then you should be able to set FAH to automatically start on the boot of linux (you'd have to have a google as to how to start up stuff in linux on boot :P).

Dan
+1. Basically what I said. Just create the folding file shortcut and place it in the startup folder.
What startup folder? there is one in VM? or one in Linux? that is what was confusing me - I was thinking you meant the startup folder in windows, which would only be good for starting the VM not folding - yes, I am easily confused :rolleyes:

Mike
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

KnightRid wrote:
geokilla wrote:

Dan
What startup folder? there is one in VM? or one in Linux? that is what was confusing me - I was thinking you meant the startup folder in windows, which would only be good for starting the VM not folding - yes, I am easily confused :rolleyes:

Mike
Ya I meant the Windows startup folder. For my sister's Notfred client, I have the shortcut to the Notfred client in my Startup folder. Thus it automatically runs by itself once she logs in.

Also, for the 10 WU requirement in order to get the bonus, it can be any WU. This way, you can run 1920 point WU before running the 25403 point ones, thus letting you fulfill the requirement sooner.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

shoot - forgot about entering my passkey in - so now I have to wait till I get 10 more units done till I can run the VM with -bigadv

or can I run that even before the 10 are done?

Mike

questions questions :)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

KnightRid wrote:shoot - forgot about entering my passkey in - so now I have to wait till I get 10 more units done till I can run the VM with -bigadv

Mike

Run what? I think you can still add the passkey in...

Just run a couple 1920 point WU with the passkey, then switch to -bigadv when you're done. Win-win situation.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

geokilla wrote:
KnightRid wrote:shoot - forgot about entering my passkey in - so now I have to wait till I get 10 more units done till I can run the VM with -bigadv

Mike

Run what? I think you can still add the passkey in...

Just run a couple 1920 point WU with the passkey, then switch to -bigadv when you're done. Win-win situation.
Yea, I was just wondering if I could run the -bigadv before getting 10 done and it would just wait till I get 10 finished then auto start the -bigadv ones or if I would have to get the 10 before putting the -bigadv flag on

Mike
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I *think* it'd do the big advanced WU's, but you'd not get the bonus points for them.

Not sure how that works out ppd wise without the bonus points.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Post updated Hope it helps.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

soo I reinstalled the VMWare as I upgraded to Win7...but the VMWare that the link provided states that while the FAH file is pre-configured for 8 cores, VMWare only supports 4 cpu's and shuts down...did I miss something or we just not able to do these anymore?
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

you need the 3.0.0, the link got updated to one that does not support 8 cores.

Heres a link

http://www.neowin.net/news/vmware-player-300
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

yep. Wish they had one for twelve cores. :mrgreen: I just ordered another noctua nh-d14 for my intel 860. I will start another big-adv. I hope with better temps.