Virtualization on core i7 and f@h

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
KnightRid

Virtualization on core i7 and f@h

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, I tried to turn virtualization back on in bios and then changed my f@h to run smp -8, but it would only use 5X% of the cpu speed? I thought with virtualization on the smp could be changed to 8 and have it at 100%? I also got a BSOD overnight running it that way, so I turned turbo off and redid the OC to 4.2ghz. I also set virtualization back to off and set smp back to 4.

I figured I would try this since i have to run it that way in the VM with the -8 to get those big units. Is there a reason it didnt work from windows smp? does windows smp only allow -4?

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
geokilla

Re: Virtualization on core i7 and f@h

Post by geokilla »

Not too sure bout this, but I believe it's not a good idea to change your virtualization settings in the middle of a WU.

Windows SMP probably takes only at most, 4 cores. Time to go Linux/VMware -bigadv folding.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The Vitualisation BIOS setting is purely to do with virtual machines. The regular windows SMP doesn't use it. And from my experience, it's been that the windows SMP only uses the 4 cores too.

So like geo said, if you're looking for the -bigadv stuff, you're going to have to run a linux VM to do so (notfred's preconfigured one is great)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yea, I know I will have to run VM for the bigadv thing - I just thought I could change the Virtualization setting while still running the windows smp, but I cant.

Side note - ever since turing turbo off I have had to lower my OC! I am down to 4ghz from 4.3 to make it stable! It was perfectly stable at 4.3 with turbo on - I dont get it.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

KnightRid wrote:Yea, I know I will have to run VM for the bigadv thing - I just thought I could change the Virtualization setting while still running the windows smp, but I cant.

Side note - ever since turing turbo off I have had to lower my OC! I am down to 4ghz from 4.3 to make it stable! It was perfectly stable at 4.3 with turbo on - I dont get it.

Mike
Um doesn't turbo push up the speed of one core when the other cores are not under heavy load? Maybe some cores aren't stable at 4.3Ghz...
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

geokilla wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Yea, I know I will have to run VM for the bigadv thing - I just thought I could change the Virtualization setting while still running the windows smp, but I cant.

Mike
Um doesn't turbo push up the speed of one core when the other cores are not under heavy load? Maybe some cores aren't stable at 4.3Ghz...
No clue man - with turbo on 4.3 was solid as a rock for all this time, turned turbo off and I am down 300mhz - turning turbo off should have made me be able to overclock further I would have thought. I confuse easily :rolleyes:

Mike