My own thread :roll:

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

My own thread :roll:

Post by vbironchef »

Is it to much to ask that someone make a sticky on how to fold with the -bigadv. I mean that I am told that I don't look at other threads and don't do my own homework. I am confussed about the whole bigadv thing. Sorry to not understand the rules, but it is harder than you think if you are not in the loop. I go to the F@H forums and it's like they are talking a different language. There are so many ways to fold it is making my head spin. I am having a hard time keeping up with all the changes. I just wish I could add more points to the team without being confussed. I don't think I am alone in this issue. If anyone else is as confussed as me just make a post here and let yourself be heard.

Here is what I need help with. 1) VMware 2)do I need two hard drives? 3) What core temps are normal when folding SMP Client? 4) With win 7 64 bit, what should I run for SMP Client? How do I install the bigadv? I know there are guides but to me I don't get it. Maybe I should just stick to the GPU Client untill I get a PHD in folding. :) Edit: What is Linux64 and do I need it?
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: My own thread :roll:

Post by spitter »

vmware is nothing more that a program on your machine that creates its own machine, you do not need more hardware, no second hard drive or anything else, i am only running one hard drive with vmware. You do need 4gigs+ hard drive space to run the program. There is no normal core temps for the i7, intel has a variable voltage range for the 860 from 0.95 to 1.4 volts, your not really overclocking it till you are above 1.4 volts. Linux64 is just the name of the image that creator of that image put on it, The image is just enough linux to fold on a virtual machine. Bigadv is an advanced method flag that currently only works in certain linux kennels.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about24331.html#p158673

If you follow that to the letter, you should have no problems.

If you still need help, we could set up a Teamviewer session for me to get on your computer and set it up for you.

you HAVE to have the passkey from f@h - if you dont - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey - get one :)

Let me know how it goes and such and we will go from there.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Thanks everyone! I know I have been a real pain in the you know what. I will try to get it up and running tonight or have Natasha get it working when I'm watching the superbowl. I will have it running if it kills me :lol: Yesterday I hit my personal best score for PPD. 30,416 not to shabby. :)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

How's the -bigadv folding coming along? Also, check out the EVGA link that the tutorial is forum. linuxrouter just updated it a couple days ago with a new build. Version 1.1 to be exactly.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Thank you for asking. :) Working my butt off trying to figure it out. I think I am having issues with my router. IP address and stuff. I just unistalled VM ware 3.0

Was going to try again. Kind of hard to do when trying to watch the superbowl. Version 1.1 I will look into that. Thanks and I will get back to you.

Got it working :) Downloaded A3 core. We will see what happens. I have it running on 6 cores and two cores for the Graphic cards.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I would like to express that 7-zip is important. Next, I would like to say that you either can go with using the the browser. That did not work for me. I went with the way SMP Client is set up and it worked. Just thought that anyone reading this should know. Without 7-zip you cannot extract files. Why don't they make that part of the setup description? I really feel that F@H is missing my point of making it simple. I feel that most people just want to run a program without having to spend hours trying to figure it out. It's really a shame that it has to be this hard. F@H is really missing the point of getting everyone to fold. They need to make it simple.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just finished first WU.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

vbironchef wrote:I would like to express that 7-zip is important. Next, I would like to say that you either can go with using the the browser. That did not work for me. I went with the way SMP Client is set up and it worked. Just thought that anyone reading this should know. Without 7-zip you cannot extract files. Why don't they make that part of the setup description? I really feel that F@H is missing my point of making it simple. I feel that most people just want to run a program without having to spend hours trying to figure it out. It's really a shame that it has to be this hard. F@H is really missing the point of getting everyone to fold. They need to make it simple.
WinRAR can unzip 7zip file formats so.... And F@H isn't difficult to set up. You just need to follow the guide properly. Plus this isn't an official guide endorsed by Stanford.

Consider running -bigadv folding. Again, check out the guide for instructions. If you run SMP2 (A3 WU) folding, you might as well stick with the Windows client. No need to run Linux for that.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Ummmmm.....right click....extract all.....? Windows can extract .zip files without any other program installed....I think that started in XP. As far as guides go they do assume some level of computer knowledge. Not picking on anyone...they just can't make guides telling you step by step how to do everything. It's like a guide to starting a car, you would assume you would not have to tell the person how to get to the car and how to open the door. BTW...7zip is an open source free progam...just type 7zip into google and click go or press enter...ok...now I'm having fun. :)

Don't mean to offend
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I am folding with the A3 core. Finished 3 work units so far. I can't fold the bigadv till I reach ten WU's. Everything is working fine. About 7-zip yea it is free. I was not able to extract the Linux files without it.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Folding my first bigadv WU. I have my settings using all eight cores. I am still running 2 GPU clients and they don't seem to have been slowed down. My CPU temps are 70C. All cores running a 100%. Memory is using 6.05 gigs. Does this sound right? Is there something I should do different? I have my CPU at stock speeds. When do you think the WU will finish?
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Check your fahmon. Once it is done 3% or 4% highlight the cpu in fahmon and look under the tools tab...click on benchmark. It will show you average time for each frame. time x 100 / 60 = hours to complete
Mine at 3.8 ghz is gonna take 54 ish hours, at 2.6 65-70 hours?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The log file is saying that the tpr files is old and I should update it to lower memory usage and maybe fold faster. How do I do that?
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Ok this is the blind leading the deaf...but. if you suspend linux in vmplayer and go into the settings of vmplayer. there is a slider for ram, just slide it back to 4.5 - 5 gigs. restart linux and good to go.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

:lol: Not sure you know but I am just a cook.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Well..if I helped ya..i'll take an omlette :)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I wasn't able to install fahmon for the smp client. It looks like it is taking 50 to 55 min per %. I don't think that it will meet the deadline.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

55 min is just inside the 96 hour deadline, 92 hours. Bonus of 1.7. 1.79x25403=45500 points.

50 min/frame =48300 points
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

So I finished my WU. A couple of days ago. It was like watching paint dry. I must say that I am not cool with all my cores on my cpu running at 100% for 4 days. The temps in CA. were rather warm for this time of year so after 2 hours of cleaning my rig I started the regular SMP client. I really don't see the bigadv. The points seem to avg. out. What are your opinions?