Folding GPU Question

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Folding GPU Question

Post by Sporg »

Hi - Okay, so I have failed miserably with the AMD CPU that I won in last years folding contest. I won't get into that other than case choice, heat, and computer location won't allow me to keep it up and running for folding. With that said I do have my WC system in the office that could probably use a GPU upgrade. I'm still running and folding on the card I won a few years ago - ATI Radeon 4850 HD. The system is a DirectX 9 system running XP. I want a card that I could easily integrate into my loop without a lot of cost. Ideally I would like to reuse my Swiftech MCW60. I know the NVIDIA based cards run better for folding and that's primarily what this system does these days other than the occasional WoW session and running a TS server. I was kind of thinking about a GTX460, but am not sure which one would fit the MCW60.

So what suggestions do you guys have?
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Folding GPU Question

Post by vbironchef »

Why not just a gts 250 if you can still buy one. It will give 5K ppd.
skier

Post by skier »

vbironchef wrote:Why not just a gts 250 if you can still buy one. It will give 5K ppd.
except that would be a downgrade lol

I'd get a GTS 450, or 460 if you want to spend a bit more. I LOVE my ECS, GF104 is a great chip

also, 450-460 are each around 15k, the higher clocks on the 450's shaders put it pretty close
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Your right, not a good upgrade I guess. :lol: Might need a adapter to fit the newer cards. If heat and noise and power are a issue and he doesn't need dx11 there is nothing wrong with running a older card. I did not know that the newer cards could give so many points. I might just upgrade myself if the cards fit in my cases. I hope that Sporg does add a fast card as Legit Reviews needs all the help that it can get for F@H.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

It would probably be a 460. I have a GTX 260 laying around but it wouldn't be much of a bump. The thing is, my WC system runs pretty much 24x7, so something beefier would be better. I think I saw some adapters for that swifty, maybe I'll reach out to them directly.

[edit: And it would run in a DX9 system, but it'll be used more for folding than anything else.]
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell