Folding Challenge **Win Stuff, and help find the cure**

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

infinitevalence wrote:Man looking at the numbers it looks like both bigblockmatt and bubba have a real shot at this, i was looking and i think you guys need to get about 300 points per day to hit 10k :) best of luck!!!
I'm going to be close but don't think I'll make it, I bumped up my home pc to 80% cpu, and starting to cause lock ups. not sure what is the cause, but ever since I did the clean install of XP when ever I push the limits of the folding it locks.

not even sure where to start to find the cause, I noticed that it was hitting 68C when I pushed it to 90% cpu figured the stock cooling wouldnt take that very long so I brought it back to 80% it droped to 64C but there is still the whole locking issue...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I think you found the cause.......TEMPS!!!!!

Waaay to high!
Folding doesn't even generate as much heat as prime95...It still generates 99% as much, but your teemps should deff be below 60C even with 100% use.....
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

kenc51 wrote:I think you found the cause.......TEMPS!!!!!

Waaay to high!
Folding doesn't even generate as much heat as prime95...It still generates 99% as much, but your teemps should deff be below 60C even with 100% use.....
totally agree. get some better aftermarket cooling solution. not just because of folding but any other application that would stress your rig.
you should deffinitely keep your temp below 50C @ full load.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

here is what it was when I first set up the machine....

think my cooler is crapping out me...
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, well I just signed up - well downloaded and ran anyway :)

name is - KnightRid

Have 2 computers on it now, think they are 2400+ cpus each...my main 3ghz system isnt on it yet, but depending on how many units I can get done for that t-shirt I might put it on ;)

Mike

Now if only I knew how to get a CHEAP rackmount system with, oh say, 200 cpus :shock:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

KnightRid wrote:Ok, well I just signed up - well downloaded and ran anyway :)

name is - KnightRid

Have 2 computers on it now, think they are 2400+ cpus each...my main 3ghz system isnt on it yet, but depending on how many units I can get done for that t-shirt I might put it on ;)

Mike

Now if only I knew how to get a CHEAP rackmount system with, oh say, 200 cpus :shock:
Welcome to The Team..... :partyman:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

So if we totally suck and don't win, can we buy the Legit goodies??? I think you should sell them on the site anyway :)
Joe
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Vstrom wrote:So if we totally suck and don't win, can we buy the Legit goodies??? I think you should sell them on the site anyway :)
x2

and welcome KnightRid :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

We will see... there is a good chance you could get rewarded for your effort :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I never could run 2 instances...I feel like an idiot :owned:
Joe
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

well...it dont look like it is gonna happen...running only 160 points or so avg. a day...:(
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

WOOHOO - 1 WU done..LOL...

93 points :| Thought they would be worth more than that, especially since it took - ummmmmmm....about 19-20 hours to do :shock:

Dont think I will hit those numbers either :)

Mike

I need to build some dual core rigs...now if someone would just send me the money for the parts......;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Any points is better than no points! Welcome to the team. It's actually kind of fun watching your output increase as you upgrade your PC over the months.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Fun.... adictive!!! just got confermation of my dual 3.5ghz xeon shipping!!! got to love that M0 stepping :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

My disadvantage is that i am on Social Security Disability ( 35 years old - it sux :p ). I dont see a nice Dual core system coming to me any time soon ;)

Maybe I should make the wife work more...ROFLMAO...just kidding

Mike

You have to laugh once a day, or just use a bullet, and go away.

5 WU's done..oh we are cookin with gas now!!!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Dual core, Dual cpu, 10 folding rigs or 1 rig.....It's all the same...... :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

well said.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well I just put my main system on it too :) I still have parts laying around to build a 2400 and a 2000 system...but no memory...might split some off one of my other systems.....I reall need to get some NEW stuff..lol..this stuff is ancient now. I like new toys ;)

Mike

I am actually happy I am at least doing something to help people...did Seti a while ago, but that didnt seem to be going anywhere. This at least should help out somehow!!!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

What people must remember with folding is.....
If you submit a completed WU, It's just as good as finding a cure....
Who knows what that WU means to Stanford....It could be something which tells them not to look there....therefore saving them weeks/mths of research
It could mean nothing, but again @ least Stanford know not to look there again.......

Sorry to do this!
In the words of Spock
"if you eliminate all possibilities, the only remaining posibility must be the solution" --> or words to that effect (never was a big trekie)

Folding, we'll get there...... :|
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

kenc51 wrote: Folding, we'll get there...... :|
yeah, we will go where no folder has gone before LOL.

on the other hand I can see that with my 3.2prescott @ 3.7 I'm not even able to perobably reach half of the t-shirt point limit :( even though my rig is on 24/7)
oh, well just keep folding anyway. maybe it will save someone's life one day , than it was allready worthed.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=