Processor Folding Efficiencies!

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Processor Folding Efficiencies!

Post by DMB2000uk »

Im currently doing some half-hearted casual folding every now and again on my P-D 820, though I can't dislodge the little niggling thought about how much power it uses (ive set up two F@H cores :mrgreen: ).

Does anyone have any idea what the most efficient processor to fold with is? Both speed of folding and power consumption.

I was wondering how the P-M fares, although it is more power efficient, is it let down by its weak FP architecture? Anyone have any guesses as to how Yonah might fare in these fields? (I'd ideally like to get a Yonah laptop and fold fold fold!)

Im guessing AMD wins for desktop processor efficiency and speed? Seen as though ive got an Intel this isnt what i want to hear :P (though you cant change fact!)

Questions. Questions. Questions.

Thanks guys!

Dan
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, AMD definitely has the desktop area covered when it comes to just about everything......they have th 90nm process under their thumb for sure! Personally, I would use an X2 3800+ and OC it, making sure to use a good cooling solution as you'll want to probably leave the unit on all night.....I just wouldn't use a lappie for folding IMHO, only for portability. I dunno, I'm just not an Intel man, lol :rolleyes:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Well the funny thing is Intel generaly folds better than AMD, if your runing two cores at 100% the cost is about 6-8$ amth or the same as leaving on a regular lightbulb all day long. The thing that really sux is that turning it off when you sleep only saves around $1. So far Pentium M's just dont seem to do as well as P4's dont really know why.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

I think just the pure clock speed of the P4's helps them out a lot. Kindof like with audo/video encoding stuff. I have also read that the higher speed P4's fold better.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yeah a high FSB and pure MHz keep P4's leading the folding battle for the most part. I've also found turning off Hyper-Threading and running 1 is better than 2 with HT enabled.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

hey Apoptosis,
on my P-D 820
:roll: :P

Thanks guys, though i still think im going to use my laptop when i get round to getting a new one :P

OC'ing my processor to make it a fast 'Pentium 4' is outa the question though, as its used by my parents too and they wouldnt be too happy if i burnt it out! lol.

Dan