does the hard drive effect folding?

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
KnightRid

does the hard drive effect folding?

Post by KnightRid »

Was wondering if I put an OLD 5GB HD in a system to load windows on to get it folding, will it effect the folding application itself?

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxto ... ltra%20ATA

that is the drive :)

Mike

Might have another folding rig online soon - another 2400+!!! - still working on getting the neighbors folding too!

Maybe I should look into overclocking, I dunno - if I lower my expectations to 500mhz more speed would that be good with stock air cooling?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Folding doesn't use the Hard drive much......some even boot linux off their usb stick to fold, others don't use any Hdd's and some boot their folding rigs via their LAN (PXE boot) --> so no HDD access is not going to slow you down........

A 500MHz OC with AMD is very good.......if you can get it!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

i wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

it can depending on how much memory you have and if your OS is swapping to the drive. On only 512mb with windows loaded my HTPC was swaping to the drive quite a bit.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I would have 512mb, but it would be only for folding, so no other programs . Well - AVG probably...

USB key - hmmm - now anyone have a nice all in one solution that I can just copy files to my usb key and stick it in the computer, tell BIOS to boot from it, and thats it? ;) OH and let me edit a txt file so I can put my info in to get credit - now that would be sweet!!

Folding farms - argh...now that would be REAL sweet.....

Mike

If only I wasnt so stupid and impatient.

might throw that 5gb on this MB and make sure everything works...
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

KnightRid wrote: USB key - hmmm - now anyone have a nice all in one solution that I can just copy files to my usb key and stick it in the computer, tell BIOS to boot from it, and thats it? ;) OH and let me edit a txt file so I can put my info in to get credit - now that would be sweet!!
Feather Linux, very easy to "install" and use --> installation is just extracting a zip file to the usb drive and then running the syslinux program to make it bootable, all in all 5mins work.........

I carry a copy of feather linux everywhere with me (ubar-geek!)