Welcome new Folders!

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Welcome new Folders!

Post by kenc51 »

Welcome to team 38296 Robert_Simmons & Fogey :partyman:

if there's any other members who want to join in the fun.......you can download FAH here

We moved up 2 places in the rankings in the last 24hrs =D>
not to mention breaking 2 Million Points! ;)
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

:drinkers:
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Glad I can help out. Now, if you don't mind, I got a qestion related to folding. The answer may be in one of the threads below but I don't have time to go through all of them.. sorry....

Question is this. Im buliding a 24/7 just folding only machine with my Intel 845 MB and 1 ghz sys memory(2700), two HDD and a P4-2.53b. Since this will be 100% folding all the time, should I disable HT in the bios for more umpm... for the folding program as I noticed on my P4 3.4EE the CPU was only working at 50% with HT enabled on that machine? Thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

disabling HT does give more performance with folding.......
Since the pc is going to be dedicated to folding and mayby very light use then, I'd say turn it off in the bios.
If someone else is using a P4 with HT, if it's their main "day2day" rig, then I'd suggest leaving HT on, for better responsiveness etc.

With (intel) HT.....there is only 1 cpu core as such......just the OS sees 2 cores....The cpu then can make it's data requests more effecient...It's nothing like 2 cpu's/cores. When running programs which rely heavily on the cpu and only use/support 1 cpu, then HT decreases performance.....likewise when a prgram is run which has support for 2 cpu's (or more), then performance increases...(still only by ~3-6%) --> but try encode a video in Divx and watch it at the same time without HT!

sorry to go on, but some people think HT means 2 cpu's! and welcome to team 38296, again!