seti and folding

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
viro
Legit User
Legit User

seti and folding

Post by viro »

Can I run both SETI@home and Folding@home on one computer? or will it just be wasting a lot of peoples time? I would like to set up a server in my house, but we are remodeling now, so i only have one computer running with seti already..

i would like to help out though, so i'll see where else i could set up a computer if it is not recomended to run both

thx
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

While im all for seti at home, i find that folding has a more practical use. but thats all opinion.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I used to run Seti... but while the idea is "cool" it doesn't really impact our daily lives. I hope that folding will someday lead to something that can be used to help develop drugs and help cure problems that face our planet. Seti has no meaning besides finding signs of life on other planets... We can't get to Mars, so who cares if life is 1,200,000,000 miles away on another planet. I'll be willing to bet everything on the chance that life is out there.

As for the question, yes it is pointless to run both applications at the same time. Pick one or the other! ;)
eric m.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by eric m. »

seti@home was cool 10 years ago. but here we are, 2004 and pretty much nothing scientific or useful has come of it.

i think the folding project is a great thing, and something that will actually help people. analysing random noises from space seems so 90's to me.
P4C800-E dlx â–‘ 3.2e @4ghz â–‘ 9600XT â–‘ 510 deluxe PSU â–‘ danger den â–‘ hyperX
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

If you really want to run both and it actually works okay, then I would change the config to "do not accept projects with deadlines." That way, you will be doing something that is worthwhile and your projects will not be useless. However, I'm not sure they are very compatible and I tend to agree with everyone else here who has posted...
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

This is from the F@H FAQ website:
Can I run Folding@home when SETI@home is running?

Yes, Seti@Home and other distributed applications can be run alongside Folding@Home, provided you have enough system memory. Some programs, including Seti@Home run at a higher priority than Folding@Home, which prevents Folding@Home from progressing if it is run at the same time. If you notice that Folding@Home is not progressing, you can fix this by enabling the "Slightly Higher Priority" Option in Folding@Home. This can be done through the advanced options page for the Windows client, or by running "FAH2Console -config" for the console versions.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »

thx for your opinions, but i really don't need someone to preach to me.

I want to keep seti running, and get another comp in the house for F@H. However if that does not work out, I think I'll take everyone's advice and just stick with F@H

thx again, I really hope we can actually make a difference.

btw, does anyone know how many gigaflops F@H is getting?
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »

well i decided to run F@H on my laptop for the time being. I set it for no deadlines and joined the legitreviews team (38296). When my house is all cleaned up and done with remodeling, i'll have some more room to add a server and run F@H off of that. I hope this can help for the moment.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Every bit helps, viro... Thanks!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
viro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by viro »