Xandros 3

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Xandros 3

Post by bubba »

ok, been toying with the idea of linux for a while, tried Fedora wasn't to noob friendly for a desktop. So I started to look for something a little easier to get into the linux world.

well got xandros 3 business desktop. couldnt have went in easier, drop the disk in, reboot did the express install, about 45 min later ding done.

Then I loaded up the xtras, one is a nice little crossover program that lets me use my windows office (if I wanted) but it comes with star office. but also lets me install my Photoshop.

As soon as I dig out my spare modem I'll get it hooked to the net and I'm sure that will be just as easy as the rest that I have done so far.

so if you are looking to try the linux world might be worth a look to you.
dryicerx
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by dryicerx »

Ive heard Ubantu is also another great starter Linux (althought I don't really agree with the idea of having no root user, while it still does have sudo). Nice to see more people exploring other operating systems other than windows. Fedora core 4 and Slackware personally.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I'll have to second that, xandros is probably my favorite distro- next to knoppix.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I've heard ubuntu is breaking records for gaining the most noob linux users. I think that will be the next one I try.

I tried Xandros, but it was too stripped down for me (may not have had the business edition) after being used to installing full Fedora Core.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I tried Ubantu and i have to say it felt very slow, easy set up and looked good, just to slow for me.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

slower than Windows XP?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

It was on the system i installed it on.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I looked at knoppix at first but xandros looked like it would do better for me.

the xandros seems to move ok, I'm running it on an old hp machine. p2 450, 192mb ram. thought about seening how it would do folding but not to sure if it is fast enough to get the WU done in the time limit...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

dryicerx wrote:Ive heard Ubantu is also another great starter Linux (althought I don't really agree with the idea of having no root user, while it still does have sudo). Nice to see more people exploring other operating systems other than windows. Fedora core 4 and Slackware personally.
Ubuntu is designed to be accessable for EVERYONE...
If all you want is a desktop pc for basic use - then ubuntu is the way to go

The only problem is that it's based on Debian... Debian can be a little tricky to configure.. It uses mostly command line progs to config and setup
BUT ubuntu have taken care of MOST of that for you already

I personally don't like xandros, not great software support, unless you want to work with source files...

I use SUSE Linux.... Has loads of software suppprt (RPM based), if you want you can use command line, but also has YAST (SuSe's control panel).. Yast is BRILLIANT! - you can easily config anything from a webserver, router, firewall, vpn, network connection, install software and update you pc... It is very easy to use and even gives you easy to understand guides!
Slackware is about the most UNIX like of all Linux distros,stay away from it unless you want to learn or already know your command line! (it has no easy to use gui for configuration)

I suggest everyone to start using Linux, if even just to dual boot with xp.... Linux ->the way of the future! -> everything from a handheld device to a full enterprise server now uses some sort of Linux.. M$ is in real troubble with Linux and their new ideas about copyright protection etc...

my 2cent