Win7 Updates

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Win7 Updates

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Apparently its update week for windows!
Is anyone else having any issues with them?
Particularly 2019-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4512506)

Download size: 285.9 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4512506

Help and Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4512506

My issue is a failure to complete the install. What happens is the update happens and when you reboot it enters the windows repair and reverts back to before the update!
After doing this twice I got smart and did the updates 1 at a time. I have tried 3 times to install it separately before and after the other updates with zero success!
Any one else having this problem?
Yes it is the rig in my sig!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Re: Win7 Updates

Post by KnightRid »

Try getting these 2 - Check your already installed list in windows update to see if they are already there. If so you can try installing again to make sure there is no error or ignore this as i am running Windows 10 on everything (with classic shell) now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ort-update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-2008-r2

See if after installing them you can then install the whole shebang.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:08 am Try getting these 2 - Check your already installed list in windows update to see if they are already there. If so you can try installing again to make sure there is no error or ignore this as i am running Windows 10 on everything (with classic shell) now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ort-update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-2008-r2

See if after installing them you can then install the whole shebang.
Thanx for looking, I had seen these both and still had no success.
I was able to one by one install the other updates. Just not the one I posted here!
I did notice something odd(to me) it lists as 285mb and when I try to do the update it only shows 52.x mb

To be honest I'm not that worried about it, just asking!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com ... =KB4512506

When you download it manually from there, is the size still just 52.x mb?

I am downloading it now to see the file size on my end but it will take a while cause we are still in the dark ages in the USA....well when you live wooded areas ;) Will edit when its done.

Ok at 120mb now so well over what you were getting. Try downloading on a different computer and put on a thumb drive? If you cant get it I can upload it to dropbox or one of those if you need.

ok, got it - only 16 minutes LOL
kb4512506.jpg
kb4512506.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 13871 times
let me know if you need me to upload to a file sharing service or something.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

The update from hell has wasted my computer!
a couple days ago 2 updates showed up. Both being security updates.
Yeah 1 of them being the same one that started this post. I installed the NEW one and all went well!
When I installed the 2nd(MF'r) things went totally wrong!
The install went well until the reboot point!
Instead of windows booting I got this message!

The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers.

Press [N] to run the next boot device, or enter directly to BIOS setup if there are no other boot devices installed.
Go to BIOS setup > Advanced > Boot and change the current boot device into other secured boot devices.

When I press N it gives me the BOOT MNGR is missing.

I have never seen anything like this before!
When I tried to do a repair with the original windows disc, it would not do the repair because the disc is not compatible with the version of windows I am trying to repair!

I've been resisting going to Win 10, guess M$ has pushed me into it! :finga:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Classic Shell has been taken over by Open Shell - https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Use that on windows 10 and it will be like you have Windows 7 installed!!!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 am Classic Shell has been taken over by Open Shell - https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Use that on windows 10 and it will be like you have Windows 7 installed!!!
Yes Ive seen that! Definitely caught my interest!
I have Win10 on my laptop and its not to bad!

I bought a copy of Win10 Pro 2yrs ago($85) and have been sitting on it,
I guess waiting for this moment!
The plan was to use it on a new build, guess thats not gonna happen!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Corsair 4000D Airflow
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Windows 10 isn't all that bad once you get used to the new routes to various things.

As for the Open Shell, I would try life without it first. Right clicking on the start in Win10 gets you to most places. Pin control panel to the start, and what ever else you use on the regular. Done.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

bubba wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 am Windows 10 isn't all that bad once you get used to the new routes to various things.

As for the Open Shell, I would try life without it first. Right clicking on the start in Win10 gets you to most places. Pin control panel to the start, and what ever else you use on the regular. Done.
Yeah I've had my laptop for more than a year and pretty much know my way around now!
My biggest issue is the starting over again!
I really had that puter setup for my liking!
Until that MFing security update!
I just dont get what happened!?!

Out of curiosity is there a way to restore the BOOT MNGR?
No, I have not looked it up yet!
I always come here first! Most of the time it pays off!

I'm probably going to try 1 time to fix whats there, if that dont work I'll move on to Win10 Pro!

Thanks Bubba! :prayer:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I 100% disagree with Bubba on that one....Windows 10 interface SUCKS. I absolutely hate it! It makes everything way too hard or makes you have to search for what you want. :vom:

Boot Manager missing...

Check your boot order in BIOS and make sure you arent trying to boot from the wrong drive - hey, always check easy first!

https://kb.acronis.com/content/1507
Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation CD/DVD

Boot from Windows Vista installation disc, select language and keyboard or input method, click Next and choose to Repair your computer. Then you will need to select the operating system that you want to repair. In the System Recovery Options dialog box click Command Prompt and type the following:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If you want to completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data, then you should issue the following command:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store.

Further information is available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tup-issues
Windows 10

1. Boot from Windows 10 installation DVD.

2. Press any key at the “Press any key to boot” message

3. When you get to the screen with "Install now" button, сlick the Repair your computer button in the lower-left corner.

4. Click on Troubleshoot

5. Click on Advanced options, then select Command prompt

6. Use Bootrec tool to repair the MBR by running the following commands in command prompt, one after the other:

bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot

7. Exit and reboot the computer

You can find more information at https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/#Bootrec_in_Windows10
Try them and see if it helps you.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

meh, spend close to 15 hours a day in front of Win 10 at this point the UI is the least of my complaints. Took me about a week of tweaking how I wanted the start menu laid out and what I wanted on it. I don't have to search a thing unless I want some odd user setting like a network cred, but I'm not dealing with that daily. People moaned over the XP to 7 jump. Then they were forced to use 7... even if they changed the UI to look like XP, they still bitched about somethings. Then they got used to it. Eventually some even dropped the XP look for stock 7 UI. Now here we are with 10, rinse, repeat.

Now, under the hood stuff, thats a whole other rant.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:42 am I 100% disagree with Bubba on that one....Windows 10 interface SUCKS. I absolutely hate it! It makes everything way too hard or makes you have to search for what you want. :vom:

Boot Manager missing...

Check your boot order in BIOS and make sure you arent trying to boot from the wrong drive - hey, always check easy first!

https://kb.acronis.com/content/1507
Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation CD/DVD

Boot from Windows Vista installation disc, select language and keyboard or input method, click Next and choose to Repair your computer. Then you will need to select the operating system that you want to repair. In the System Recovery Options dialog box click Command Prompt and type the following:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If you want to completely rebuild Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data, then you should issue the following command:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

This command scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option also allows select the installations that you want to add to the Boot Configuration Data store.

Further information is available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tup-issues
Windows 10

1. Boot from Windows 10 installation DVD.

2. Press any key at the “Press any key to boot” message

3. When you get to the screen with "Install now" button, сlick the Repair your computer button in the lower-left corner.

4. Click on Troubleshoot

5. Click on Advanced options, then select Command prompt

6. Use Bootrec tool to repair the MBR by running the following commands in command prompt, one after the other:

bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot

7. Exit and reboot the computer

You can find more information at https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/#Bootrec_in_Windows10
Try them and see if it helps you.
The first thing I did was make sure I was trying to boot from the correct drive!
I then tried to boot from my Win7 disc and do a repair! That failed, it says the version of windows Im trying to repair is not compatible with the version on the disc. Im sure thats SP1.
So far all the obvious remedies have not worked!
I havent had time to just sit down and work on it uninterrupted!
Thats part of the reason I came here first, to get a few ideas or one that will work before I dig into it!
With support ending in Jan. I'll give it one chance and then move on if I'm not successful!
I've already looked up drivers for Win10, not much out there for the board beyond Audio & Utilities
I have some stuff I would like to retrieve but its not that important! The important stuff was backed up!(One lesson I learned)

Win10 is not as user friendly as 7 but I have learned to deal with it.
I hear what you're saying Bubba! But still, Forced Change sucks! lol

Thank You Guys!
This is why I came here first!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

after installing windows 7 i never update. to have it secured i install a good firewall, antivirus and phishing, clean and maintain the pc and use common sense. have to be pretty naive to think the so called 'security updates' are there to protect us and our pc's. they there to implement better spying abilities in win 7 just like win 10 has them already built in. i spit on microsoft and their updates.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

sbohdan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:32 am after installing windows 7 i never update. to have it secured i install a good firewall, antivirus and phishing, clean and maintain the pc and use common sense. have to be pretty naive to think the so called 'security updates' are there to protect us and our pc's. they there to implement better spying abilities in win 7 just like win 10 has them already built in. i spit on microsoft and their updates.
I hear ya sbohdan! I am starting to have similar feelings towards M$!
The computer I'm using right now to replace my dead one is freaking me out!
Its been sitting collecting dust for several months, so being the dummy I apparently am. I started running updates, and one failed!
Yes, the exact one that started all this crap! It will not install at all! There is also another update that fails too! Both are security updates!
I'm considering adopting your Windows Update method!
None at all!
M$ :finga:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 pm
sbohdan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:32 am after installing windows 7 i never update. to have it secured i install a good firewall, antivirus and phishing, clean and maintain the pc and use common sense. have to be pretty naive to think the so called 'security updates' are there to protect us and our pc's. they there to implement better spying abilities in win 7 just like win 10 has them already built in. i spit on microsoft and their updates.
I hear ya sbohdan! I am starting to have similar feelings towards M$!
The computer I'm using right now to replace my dead one is freaking me out!
Its been sitting collecting dust for several months, so being the dummy I apparently am. I started running updates, and one failed!
Yes, the exact one that started all this crap! It will not install at all! There is also another update that fails too! Both are security updates!
I'm considering adopting your Windows Update method!
None at all!
M$ :finga:
just to give you another reason to consider, when it comes to win updates especially of win 10.
there have been 3 laptops i encountered so far, where the updates bricked the bios of the laptop [1 laptop] or corrupted windows to a point, where no rescue attempt worked [2 laptops, incl. my mom's]. the one where even the bios was totaly corrupt, i bought for $20 because the owner thought it was garbage. i thougt i just gamble $20 and if it works, will have a $550 laptop and if not i just lost $20. it took me over a week and i almost gave up untill i was able to flash a new working bios on the laptop's mobo. my mom's brand new asus zen 13.3" ultrabook was corrupted during automatic updates after about 2 months of use. could not save windows, so had to extract all important data and re-install windows. to turn off auto updates in win 10 is no small task, since that windows is like a giant virus. it has over 10 different ways to switch it's own updates back, after you simply turned them off in services. took me quite a while to be able to switch it off permanently. it's realy disgusting how microsoft forces everyone to their damn updates no matter if they want it or not.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Soooo, after letting this sit for several weeks, I decided to just reload Win7.

It's up and running with no issues!
Gotta love Win7 and a SSD! 17 mins from the time I put the disc in to looking at the desktop!
I chose to just reinstall 7 simply to hold on to my copy of Win 10 Pro for a new build!
When that happens still remain's to be determined!

Corsair 4000D Airflow