Realization Microsoft drives my hardware purchases.

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Realization Microsoft drives my hardware purchases.

Post by moon111 »

I came across a 98 box on the side of the road. It's about as fast as my much newer system, a system bloated by a larger OS that does basicly the same thing. Now I have to spend more on hardware to get Vista. When will it end? I think Linux is in my near future!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I use 98 on my systems at work (my workplace is stupid, they downgraded computers from XP to 98 for some unknown reason).

After working with it, I will NEVER use it EVER again.... XP or vista from now on
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

vicaphit wrote:my workplace [...] downgraded computers from XP to 98 for some unknown reason
Probably because 98 is a little easier to secure than XP, though if they're worried about security, they shoulda just gone the linux route...
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

vicaphit wrote: After working with it, I will NEVER use it EVER again.... XP or vista from now on
..just wait for crysis .. then you'll eat those words.. well or find some hack if thats even possible for direct x 10
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

crysis does dx9.
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

HONkUS wrote:crysis does dx9.
ah.. ok did not know that..
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

yeah, but the dx9 play will not have all the eyecandy the dx10 will. The game could be a complete turd, but I think most are chomping at the bit to have a game that will fully use the dx10 hardware that they have already shelled out the money for.

I not knocking the game, I'm like everyone else patiently waiting for the game to arrive. I'm just hoping there is some thought going into the game story not just to show off the bells and whistles of dx10 and the game engine.

I think that the games I have wanted to play have driven my purchases for my home machines, work machine builds have been driven by Autodesk software (AutoCAD. Inventor, 3DS Max)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

think about it though, far cry was awesome, and now they have added aliens! (mutants are stupid)

anyway, back on topic. 98 is terrible, and so is the crap we work with. If they replaced our computers, it would probably double productivity.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Having a Win98 machine for picture editing, scanning, audio editing and internet downloads is rather fast than a WinXP or Vista bloated system. The OS size on the HDD is a small footprint and will run just fine doing those chores.

Add a 320Gb drive to a Win98SE machince and you can burn CD's or DVD's with more head room. A Win98SE with 2Gb of RAM does great.

If you are using a machine for gaming and high end work, then yes, XP or something is more suited for that use. But, don't toss 98SE out if the tasks can be easily done in 98SE just the same.

In some cases, having the furthest technology and running 98SE isn't a benefit when the chipsets are flavored to run better with XP. Sure, the chipsets will have some legacy compatability, but the full use would be lowered. Again, what is the application use and the trade-offs.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

all we use is the browser, and they have us on IE.