Windows Authenication error

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
FlameofTheWest
Legit User
Legit User

Windows Authenication error

Post by FlameofTheWest »

Hello all,

Quick question, when i attempt to log into my windows xp i get a error stating that my windows version could not be authenicated and i get booted back to the log in screen. Is there any work around for this? Thanks for the help in advance.

At first light on the 6th day look to the east for my coming, my misson shall not be in vain.

Gandalf the White
skier

Re: Windows Authenication error

Post by skier »

for temporary other than actually activating, you can change the date in the BIOS(the only thing is that is messes up your antivirus programs(virus database date error), im pretty sure this'll work, becuase i had installed XP Pro and after like five days i changed the date in the bios to the right date from like 15 months off, then i had to activate all of a sudden, this is when i got confused, but i just reinstalled it with right date(i believe it was originally set right before i installed XP but i tried a lil OC'ing and had to reset the CMOS), hope this works for ya
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

have you contacted Microsoft? There are several ways to bypass authentication, most of which are probably not allowed nor endorsed by this forum, but I find that purchasing the product seems to work pretty well. If you have a legal copy of the OS, Microsoft should be able to help you with any authentication problems you have.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

you got it DaIceMan. Call Microsoft and tell them you need to reactiveate, they will ask if it is legit, and assuming it is you say yes, and they give you a little code you put in to reactivate. Something as little as installing a new USB Wifi card can cause you to need to reactivate. If you copy is not legit, I suggest you ask no more questions. The only way to get around this is to reactivate, pain yes, but its the way things are. You don't like it nobodies forcing you to use MS, go linux if need be.
bug
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bug »

Avoid XP's Activation After a Reformat

From time to time, it's wise to reformat a machine if it starts acquiring too many quirky problems nobody seems to know how to fix, or if it's been so riddled by spyware, it would take days to clean, and even then, it would never work right again. So, to simply avoid the hassle of the activation process when you do format, follow these steps.

Before you reformat, go into the "C:\Windows\System32" folder, and copy the "wpa.bak" and "wpa.dbl" files to a safe place, such as a CD or Flash Drive.

After you finish reinstalling Windows, but before you reactivate, copy the two files you saved to the desktop. Next, boot up in safe mode by pressing F8 just before the Windows loading screen and selecting "safe mode". Then go into the "C:\Windows\System32" directory and locate the two files there with the same name. If they exist, rename "wpa.dbl" to "wpa.nonactivated" and "wpa.bak" to wpabak.nonactivated.

Now, put the "wpa.bak" and "wpa.dbl" you temporarily placed on desktop into the "C:\Windows\System32" folder. After a reboot, you should be all set to go.

Note that this will only work if you're running the same or very similar hardware as before.
of the 30k human genes, 6k are expressed only in the brain

Tzipisa li Yeshua, Gemara Shabbos 31a
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Most of the time with Windows XP Home people run into this little problem of once having things legit and then not. The XP Home will only take five upgrades to the machine before it booms out. So the answer is YES, back everything up, save those two files "bug" mentioned and reinstall XP Home with the newer hardware all attached or plugged into the computer.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Well, bug's fix is only going to work if you have the same hardware as before or atleast something very similiar to it. The bottom line is if you have a legit copy of windows then reactivating after reinstalling is no big deal and would probably take less time than bug's fix anyway. Obviously, the original poster has either fixed his/her problem and has moved on or has a bootleg copy and can't get it to reactivate since its been 7 days since their posting of this issue.

This appears to be one of those threads that should be locked down since flameofthewest has not responded.
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.