Vista Basic or Premium?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Vista Basic or Premium?

Post by Nobahar »

I'm pretty much upgrading once I get my new computer in order, but am unsure of what I should go with.

Techies seem to recommend Premium. However, I tend to despise these automatic packages Microsoft puts into its software. I don't want or need any of the digital music and entertainment trash and other stuff they want to stuff down my throat.

So aside from being more cost effective, it seems the basic version actually has less, which I would pay more for.

In fact, what I really want is the European version that doesn't have Windows Media player 11. But what do you guys think? I want Windows Vista Lite. Not Windows Vista Lag. :p

What does Premium have that I really want/need?
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

I'm not really sure what you would really need from vista premium from the sounds of things.. but at the same time all the crap you hate on premium can no doubt be disabled and it would be more then a little inconvient to buy basic then find out a couple months down the line you actually want some of the premium features.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

True, but the extra 60 bucks can buy me two cases of beer :P
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

:drinkers: one for you...

:drinkers: :drinkers: 2 for me :mrgreen:

i'd say to try to get that euro-version you were talking about, or basic, if you don't need it: you don't need it
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

If you want it to look pretty, I think you need to have premium if you want aero.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Premium basically has Aero ans Media Center where basic doesnt.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... hoose.mspx

MS's take on the differences.

Mike

I never installed basic yet, just Ultimate and premium, so I have no first hand knowledge of its workings.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

Ultimate costs just as much as my new PC will :p

The euro-version is more difficult to get at the upgrade prices, I might as well deal with Windows Media and hope they release an update to make it better.

The Aero interface looks cool, but probably will be a system resource hog anyway :P

In fact, it seems most of you use Premum+ anyway. I'll probably just get Basic and then report my experiences with it, so you can compare. As I said, I'm a minimalist- if they put less features into these things, I'd say it was better. That's why I don't use macs, more useless features and less **** I can customize to work the way I want it to.

I love software customizations, then I can just add or remove things, which I hope Vista can still do.

By the way, I love Linux. But I run into too many compatibility issues and things that I just want to "work" but it requires at least 5 times more technical expertise to make things work the way you want it to. Vista is a little easier graphically to do that, but the catch is that some things just won't work :P
phillipjos
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Vista Basic or Premium?

Post by phillipjos »

yeah dont waste your money on basic it has nothing get prem.retail ver.imo
ga-p35c-ds3r
e6600
700watt gxs-ocz
2x320-16mb cache
evga 8800gts-320
tuniq tower 120 ultra
2x1gskills hz's-6400
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I ended up getting premium, aero is cool- but doesn't make up for the fact that I can't play my games.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Nobahar wrote:I ended up getting premium, aero is cool- but doesn't make up for the fact that I can't play my games.

Win some, loose more. #-o

I had my first taste of Win Vista Premium the other day. A neighbor teen brought over his Gateway dual-core AMD laptop. He tired for hours with the machine to connect wireless with any of the neighborhood connections. Nothing seemed to work. Both he and my son said, dad, give it a wack. So, I did. :mrgreen: I wacked the Vista machine and said, is that any better? ... OK, so I then sat down, and my eyes began to roll ... literally :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . What is all of this stuff, even under the so called "classic" setup??? Well, in 20mins I got his wireless working and myself a headache to boot. ](*,)

I know that my workplace is refreshing to Vista in 08. :vom:

Why does the Vista OS have to be so bad with layers upon layers of useless and confusing stuff?!?!?

Oh, BTW, that boy with the Gateway laptop can't get his games to work either. My son wants to trade his Compaq V300Z single core less memory for that machine. If he does, he's going to load XP on it. :partyman:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Buy Home Premium you may want the Media Center down the road. Until then download http://www.vlite.net and remove the media center from the install.