win xp issue-cant install a helthy system.Can't install anyt

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

win xp issue-cant install a helthy system.Can't install anyt

Post by siicogamer »

Hi,
I couldn't install anything on my computer it kept coming up with errors like:
you may have damaged disk,incomplete download or improper install.

Alot of things i try to install doesn't work. It just comes up with errors. My computer kept restarting and i thought it was my hard drive. So i went out and bought a 160gb seagate barracuda 7200.10 rpm. It didn't have a operating system on it so i tried to install windows on it.

Then it kept coming up with errors during the install saying stuff like: Make sure windows xp cd in the drive and it also said could not install the file. It would come up with a error message and I could browse for the file on the cd or press retry and cancel.

I've tried both my windows xp cd's. I have one with no service packs and one with service pack 2.

If i keep pressing retry when an error message comes up(it comes up like ten times saying different files) windows installs but i can't install any programs or games. For example i tried installing the world in conflict beta but it came up with somthing like: Setup cab does not match wit .wic . The medium is missing contact your software vendor.

I desperately need help.
Thnx.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: win xp issue-cant install a helthy system.Can't install anyt

Post by Major_A »

Run MemTest86+ overnight. I know it's borning to watch but let it run as long as you can. Bad RAM can do what you are describing so you might get lucky.
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

bad ram?! i just bought some new ram.well i checked if it was compatible with my motherboard and it is.
ill try memtest if i can somehow get it to work on my system.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Brand new RAM can be bad. Get Ultimate Boot CD and run Memtest from it. Maybe you are running the RAM out of specs/not enough voltage and could be getting errors that way.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Could be a scratched CD today, clean the cd
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

i have 2 copies of windows xp:
one with no service packs and one with service pack 2
Could be a scratched CD today, clean the cd
the disks are clean hardly any scratches. and i tried it on my friends computer who needed to reformat and it was working fine.
Probably something wrong with the system.
Maybe you are running the RAM out of specs/not enough voltage and could be getting errors that way.
well i have a 350W psu and that may be the problem. that's why i entered the 750W psu comp.

well ill try memtest today see how it goes.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I had that problem once and I am afraid I can't say exactly what the problem was but what I did was....disconnect EVERYTHING from the mainboard and reseat your CPU with fresh thermal. Then carfully and methodically reconnect everything. Before you boot from cd make sure to go in to your BIOS and reset factory defaults. Double check your power supply to make sure it has enough power you may even want to take it to a local store for testing. Make sure you have properly formated your new HDD with the software that came with it. Last but not least make sure you have the memory in the slots that the mainboard manual tells you to use for your configuration and also try it with just one of your memory sticks.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Not what I meant about the RAM voltage. I'm assuming you are running DDR2 and it runs at 1.8V stock. If you can, try 2.0V to see if you have more stability. Since you are having issues installing Windows I don't think your installshield is borked. I don't know how but if you google how to reinstall installshield it clears up issues installing applications. Have you tried a different IDE/SATA cable to make sure that isn't the problem?
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I just looked back at my posts from when I had a problem and I am sorry to say that the end result of my deal was that my new Mainboard was bad. NewEgg replaced it. Now that I remember DFI did have me replace the BIOS chip with a new one they sent me for free. If these other suggestions dont help you may call the Mainboard people and get them to send you a BIOS chip.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

I'm assuming you are running DDR2 and it runs at 1.8V stock. If you can, try 2.0V to see if you have more stability.
yes i am running ddr2 memory. I'm not quite sure how to change the temps. I went through the bios but i cant change any temps. sorry I haven't used a computer for several years and i've forgotten how to fix things. i only got back into computer building this year.
Have you tried a different IDE/SATA cable to make sure that isn't the problem?
I''ll try this but, the cables are brand new.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Have you updated your BIOS to the one released at the end of June? Ijust looked through the manual .pdf from Asus and didn't see any mention of RAM voltages. That is weird, I have a 6 year old Gigabyte Socket A board that has SDRAM voltage adjustments (this was way before Gigabyte got into overclocking). Since you can't change that setting lower your RAM speed. If you have it running at 667Mhz in the BIOS change it to 533Mhz. If you can I would suggest returning the board for a different chipset. VIA is better than SiS but worse than Intel/AMD/nVidia.
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

i see.
Well it was the whole system like at the start of July was working fine till the power shorted in my area.
then the next time i turned it on everything was soooo slow....it would take like 1 hour to wait for it to stop loading at the desktop. so then i reformatted and it came up with these errors i have today.

By the way i can't change a single voltage or core speed in me bios.
I tried usining different ide cables but it still turned out the same.

i took a photo of the problem while installing xp. It comes up alot and says different files that cant be found.
heres the pic.

i'll try updating the bios in a couple of days.
tonight i'm gonna run memtest.
I'm so frustrated i just wanna revert to my old system specs:

Epox k8+ series
Amd 1800+ @1.54ghz
256mb ram
Radeon 9550

lol now that's slow...

I think the problem will probaly be my hardware.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well it was the whole system like at the start of July was working fine till the power shorted in my area.
See that changes everything. Is the PC on some kind of surge protector? Something inside could have got fried.

Do you have access to another PSU to try out if it works properly with a different one?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

siico's problem is somewhat identical to my own. My entire system crashed earlier last month as well and I had a horrible time trying to get WIN XP reinstalled after a HD died on me. Boot times take up to 10+ minutes to complete. I can definitely feel your pain siico, as I can hardly stand to go near my own pc without thoughts of sledgehammering it to death filling my head. A word to the wise, DO NOT CALL MICROSOFT PRODUCT SUPPORT India! Unless your problem fits within the script these so-called experts have in front of them, you're screwed.

I would flash the BIOS and check to make sure that EVERYTHING is properly seated, cables, cards...anything that has a connector will need to be rechecked. Practicing good ESD remove and replace everything. Make sure that you perform a complete format of the HD during the installation process. Also, disconnect any and all external devices with the exception of your keyboard and mouse. If you happen to get windose up and running, check your device drivers to see if they are all up to date.

I wish that I could provide you more help other than repeating what the other's told you to try, but I'm having basically the same issues except that I finally got mine up and running. Although, I'm still having problems I'm curious to know if you get it all worked out what your problem was and how you corrected it, so that I might be able to apply the same fix to my own system.

GOOD LUCK!

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

1) Memorey Problem [Not It]
2) Hard Drive Problem [Not It]
3) CD Problem [Not It]
4) CD Rom Problem
5) Motherboard Problem

Fill in the last two blanks...
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

DMB2000uk wrote:
See that changes everything. Is the PC on some kind of surge protector? Something inside could have got fried.

Do you have access to another PSU to try out if it works properly with a different one?

Dan
I agree. It sounds like the power surge really screwed something up. Since it was fine before and screwed up after. Now you need to really try and isolate your problem. If you have a buddy with a similar system see if they will let you test your components. At any rate if the motherboard is still under warranty I'd set up a RMA with ASUS and hope that fixes your problem.
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

I can definitely feel your pain siico, as I can hardly stand to go near my own pc without thoughts of sledgehammering it to death filling my head.
I we both feel like sledging the crap out of our pc's. I was seriously thinking that when it first started doing this.

This time i tryed a different approach and i took out my hdd and put in in my friends pc and reformatted and reinstalled windows xp. No errors came up during installation, so this would mean there is seriously something wrong with my system.

1) Memorey Problem [Not It]
2) Hard Drive Problem [Not It]
3) CD Problem [Not It]
4) CD Rom Problem
5) Motherboard Problem

Fill in the last two blanks...
Cd Rom problem is definently not it,because i took out my cd Rom and put in my dvd rom and it
still came up with the same errors.

for the motherboard is there some sort of way i can test to see if is not working?
yes, i do. ill try get round to it.

If you have a buddy with a similar system see if they will let you test your components. At any rate if the motherboard is still under warranty I'd set up a RMA with ASUS and hope that fixes your problem.

I'm not quite sure how long my component is under warranty. i've only had this for about a month. i should have warranty so i'll contact ASUS.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Minimum warranty's are usually about 90 days, with most good ones being a year or more.

I'm pretty sure Asus has a 1 year thing going on, so if it turns out to be a bad motherboard then you should be able to get it RMA'd no problem.

The only way to know that a motherboard is bad is to eliminate everything else being the problem.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

Actually i got the motherboard,cpu and ram off ebay australia.
And i bought the 8600gt in the local computer swap meet.

but i think the guy who was selling i think he said there was a warranty. ill have to check my purchase history on ebay when i get home cuz im at school.

when i get time i will try my other psu.
siicogamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by siicogamer »

ok i ran memtest and it ran for 22 hours! i couldn't wait any longer so i just finsihed it.
It came up with zero errors. now the only thing to test is the motherboard and the psu.