Dlink driver for kubuntu linux?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Dlink driver for kubuntu linux?

Post by dgood »

so i just bought a wda-552 or whatever, its a brand new xtreme N wireless adapter (PCI). I want to know if there is a driver out there I can use to get wireless on my linux partition. for kubuntu ideally but i'd use one if it worked on suse or fedora (any of the recent cores including betas). Anybody know?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dlink driver for kubuntu linux?

Post by dicecca112 »

google the model number with kubuntu. Have you tried using NDISwrapper? Usually newer models don't work too well in linux. It also depends on the chipset of the adapter, some are better supported than others
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

tried a manual ndis wrapper the built in ubuntu one doesn't work in kde. which is what kubuntu uses. so I think i'll switch back to ubuntu and try it. I hadn't had it on this machine before, but it worked on my older cards. I've been having problems on both ends since I got this card though. I had to reformat to xp 32 to get it to work too. :(. Now xp doesn't like my graphics or monitor cuz it doesn't like to go into it with signal on dvi. Big mess, but thanks for the tip.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I always found I had to uninstall ndiswrapper, and then upgrade it to the most recent version for it to work. Hence I'm using VMWare Linux instead of having it installed on the laptop. Just easier. Well into the new ubuntu comes out in Nov, which is supposedly going to work problem free with the New Dells
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

using the user friendly ndiswrapper in ubuntu 7.04, I got it up and running it's called "windows wireless driver" and I installed it via synaptic packet manager. Now however since I got everything working, it has problems booting into linux as it does windows. most of the time It won't finish loading. Quite the frustrating experience of late.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

anyone know if you can use 32bit windows driver with 64bit distro for ndiswrapper? I'll assume no, but wanted to know cuz the 64bit distro runs better on this.