Changing Themes in Vista

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Changing Themes in Vista

Post by w00fd06 »

Does anyone know what file things like the caption buttons, pearl (start) button, the power and lock buttons in the start menu, and transparency info, etc would be in, like the file that keeps track of everything in Aero? And if so, how i could go about editing it.

I already found where all of the system icons are, but i can't figure out where the other things (listed above) are. :?

thanks for any help :)

EDIT: The largest group of system icons is in: C:/Windows/System32/imageres.dll for anyone who was wondering.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Changing Themes in Vista

Post by Cannyone »

I would think that some of this info must be kept in the *.msstyles.mui file for that theme. But I don't know how to edit it. I'm just sure that if you did change it you'd have to patch uxtheme.dll. Though I guess you could use something like >> VistaGlazz.

I'll be more interested in some of these mods once I determine if SP1(to be released tomorrow) is going to make Vista "usable".
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Changing Themes in Vista

Post by w00fd06 »

well, you were right, and after looking around, i can't find a way to actually edit the msstyles.dll or .mui, but there are plenty of the patched versions of these files online.

after some intense patching, the DWM started acting all weird, windows were moving when i wasn't touching the mouse/keyboard/any other input device, and the computer crashed.. all better now, though. :)