Does Size Matter?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
jimmyd
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Does Size Matter?

Post by jimmyd »

Hello. I'm a newbie, so have patience. Found this site looking for help on-line.
Trying to add a Seagate 400 gig hard drive in a computer running 2000 pro. Intel board with a p4. Need larger drive to store video.
Cannot get it to work; tried as single, as a master, and as a slave with another drive as the master. When I try to format, it only will recognize it as 130 gig. I rechecked updates on the MS site.
Is there a size limit with 2000 pro? If so what is it?
What about xp pro?
Thanks.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Does Size Matter?

Post by bubba »

Who made the drive?

Most have setup software the you can download and run that enable the large drive support.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

It's a known issue.

http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

The link there probably does a better job explaining than I could, feel free to post back if you have any questions. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You can use this program off of a liveCD to resize your partitions:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
jimmyd
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jimmyd »

Thanks for the replies. Printed off the 48 bit lda link. I'll have to read it a few more times. This is only a "known" problem to those that are "in the know". I know just enuf about computers to be dangerous. I've had to reformat many times to fix one of my fixes.

Last night I slaved the 400 gig hd to another computer that has xp, and it formatted ok out to 390 something. So it's definately a software issue, 2000 limitation. May be time to go xp on all my computers. Just not a good time to spend the $$ to upgrade from 2000 to xp. Between me and the kids, that's 5 computers.
Thanks again.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Well, I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but you may need to get into BIOS (stands for Basic Input/Output System and is encoded into a chip on your motherboard). Once there you need to figure out which page has the drive information (though it may start up to that page - depending on the brand of BIOS). And you need to Enable LBA (Large Block Addressing) for that drive.

Oh, the most frequent way to enter BIOS is by hitting the "Delete" key a few times, right after you hear a beep on start up. However, this will be different if it's a Dell, or some such proprietary brand.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
jimmyd
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jimmyd »

I am familiar with entering the bios, but did not know about the LBA enable. Will try that first. Am trying to find a way to go xp, which will support larger drives, on all my computers. Starting to run into limitations with 2000.
Thanks for the reply.