Hard disk constantly spinning up

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Hard disk constantly spinning up

Post by JohnnyVic »

Hi,

I have Vista Ultimate on one hard disk and XP on another. When I'm using Vista I constantly get a spinning up from one drive. I believe it is the XP drive which has some data files that occasionally get accessed.

My power settings in Vista are "Balanced" with the hard disk set to turn off after 25 minutes. The problem is that the disk spins down and up sometimes multiple times per minute. Of course I can't tell when it spins down, but I can hear it when it spins up. It spins up when it needs access and that delays whatever application I'm using for a few seconds and is quite annoying. For example, it spins up everytime Outlook checks the email even though all the email data is on the Vista drive.

Does anyone know how to get Vista to stop spinning down the second hard disk?

Thanks
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hard disk constantly spinning up

Post by DMB2000uk »

Can't you change it like XP?

Disable the drive spins down after XX. Take it from 25mins to never.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JohnnyVic »

It doesn't spin down every 25 minutes. It spins up, reads some data for a couple of seconds, spins down and then 20 seconds later it spins up again. It must be a different setting.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

it is probably some vista power savings feature desinged for laptops. there should probably be a way to disable it, im not familiar with vista though, so i can help you
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

none that I am aware of. Like Dan said, adjust the disk spin down times in power management. Looks like something got misconfigured