Vista prices are falling...

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Vista prices are falling...

Post by Sting3000 »

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23402897

I'm not surprised. They are still a bit pricey on the Ultimate version: $319.00.

Good enough?
Sting3000
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Vista prices are falling...

Post by Darkstar »

It was overpriced to start with IMHO, i did notice that the Ultimate was 179.99 (OEM) on Newegg though.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

I'm surprised, Vista prices were in line with XP prices for the most part, and I wouldn't see why MS would have much motivation for a price drop.

I don't really get why people always use Vista Ultimate to point out how expensive the OS is, businesses are going to be using Enterprise or Business, and most home users are going to be using Home Basic or Premium.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I'm not surprised one bit considering the "low consumer confidence" level with Vista. The only reason that prices rise and fall is "supply and demand". With Vista, the demand is not as high as the supply and thus, prices drop.
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

ibleet wrote:I'm not surprised one bit considering the "low consumer confidence" level with Vista. The only reason that prices rise and fall is "supply and demand". With Vista, the demand is not as high as the supply and thus, prices drop.
Regular Supply and demand doesn't really apply to something like Windows, where the marginal cost of production is nearly zero, and where there's no "direct" competition.

Is lowering the price of Vista by $30 really going to do either of the following?
1. Get people who would have stuck with XP otherwise, to upgrade to Vista.
2. Get people using a non-MS OS to switch to Vista.

My gut feeling is that they aren't going to get enough people in either category to offset the drop in revenue from all the copies of Vista they are selling. However, these price drops only apply to retail sales, since most sales of Windows are OEM, that will help mitigate the loss from lowered prices.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

With VISTA out, why not mark down the XP OS as a clearance sale. :P
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

stev wrote:With VISTA out, why not mark down the XP OS as a clearance sale. :P
Why mark down XP? With Vista being out, XP is more popular now than it ever was. :finga:
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

Zelig wrote:I'm surprised, Vista prices were in line with XP prices for the most part, and I wouldn't see why MS would have much motivation for a price drop.

I don't really get why people always use Vista Ultimate to point out how expensive the OS is, businesses are going to be using Enterprise or Business, and most home users are going to be using Home Basic or Premium.
Cause I'm an Ultimate kind of guy. That is where the bar is for me. Yep. Ultimate. That's right. ULTIMATE!

8)
Sting3000