Save XP Petition ... ! ! !

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Save XP Petition ... ! ! !

Post by stev »

Associated Press has an excellent article dealing with XP vs. VISTA. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

Save XP Petition: http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp

Just this weekend, my lappy got an ActiveX update along with three others. In doing so, the entire home network is not responding to anything. Plus the ability to change workgroups has left the box grayed out!!! Nice going VISTA updates !!! :evil:

Due to the lappy's warranty, I didn't downgrade from VISTA to XP hoping that a memory boost would smooth out the problems. Guess what ... it's totally WRONG to use VISTA. :finga: The problems I've had with VISTA can fill a line by line item page in Excel. XP only gave me minor trouble if anything.

By June of this year, M$ will no longer sell any XP OS on the market. So, buy up all you can for now or go UBUNTU LINUX.

How long can XP be suported? Microsoft's Windows support timeline: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Save XP Petition ... ! ! !

Post by bubba »

Show this to my boss the other day to see if he wanted me to upgrade the older dells, 2ish GHz cellies. Still waiting to see what he has to say.

System builders like Dell and HP will have until the end of the year though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I say the same for Vista 64! Vista 32 works fine as long as you dont use OLD crap on it. I have never had a problem with Vista 32, except trying to run some of the little web downloadable games the wife likes to play. Some of those will just not work with Vista. Downgrade to XP, I dont think so.

Everyone can hate me, but I still say at least 95% of the problems are the end users computers. Remove EVERYTHING from your computer, reinstall Vista, get all updates, and I bet it works just fine UNLESS you have a piece of hardware that the MANUFACTURER has dropped the ball on for Vista support. They knew what, at least a year before Vista came out that they needed new drivers and there are still some companies who have no drivers or crappy ones.

I hate when everyone wants to jump on the "hate Vista" bandwagon. I think MS is a greedy assanine company that has lost its way towards good products and just wants money too, but to make Vista the scapegoat? Just isnt right.

Mike

Give me Linux that will do EVERYTHING I can do with Windows, and I will switch now - oh and do everything as EASILY as windows, which of course means the terminal window has to stay closed, all of my hardware will work right off the bat (including the WPA wireless settings and the built in card on my Acer laptop that seems to have NO support whatsoever in Linux unless you do 80billion things to try and get it to work - windows loads and finds it and runs it :p )

I just dont get all the hate. I would love to see all the haters of Vista put that criticism to good use and either fix Linux or make your own OS that will solve all of the problems. Major sticking point - how many peripherals and different types of hardware are available for ibm compatible computers? kinda hard to get all those drivers isnt it ;)

Oh and MS - where are my Ultimate extras you bastards!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The vista driver thing is actually more to do with MS than you think, very late in development of vista they changed the driver model, and as such it meant that any prototype drivers companies might have been working on were broke and they had to start again.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

In the past week, my lappy received a VISTA update. Guess what, the home network no longer works! There is no access to obtain rights to fix the grayed out "workgroup" since the VISTA update! What is M$ thinking????

To get the network up and running, I'll have to re-install VISTA "cleanly" a third time! This has never happened with my faithful XP. And no, avoid any and all M$ updates on that machine.

Does anyone know if there is a website that tracks VISTA updates that show whether or not the update has value or if the update will hose the machine?

It's bad enough that VISTA hoses itself over time like Windows-ME use to do with the system32.dll file and the kernel32 file.

VISTA is like living Windows-ME from hell a second time. It implodes from within! ](*,)
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

I've always avoided auto updates from any company, unless it life threatening I hold off a week or to and watch for complaints/problems, same reason I hold off a year or so on O/S upgrades.
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DMB2000uk wrote:The vista driver thing is actually more to do with MS than you think, very late in development of vista they changed the driver model, and as such it meant that any prototype drivers companies might have been working on were broke and they had to start again.

Dan
I stand corrected on that one! It still should not be a problem after a year though ;)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

KnightRid wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:The vista driver thing is actually more to do with MS than you think, very late in development of vista they changed the driver model, and as such it meant that any prototype drivers companies might have been working on were broke and they had to start again.

Dan
I stand corrected on that one! It still should not be a problem after a year though ;)

Mike

Even after a year, problems still abound. SP1 didn't address enough. And look at the problem Creative is in for not having drivers for product in VISTA or drivers that are half baked.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Guess I'm not doing enough with Vista, I haven't had any problems with it.

But then I'm not using old stuff with it either...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

bmaverick wrote:Image
Nice bmaverick! =D>

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, a picture is worth a thousand emotions. :axe: #-o ](*,)

And BTW, I'm not on the "hate vista" bandwagon, I'm the driver. :mrgreen:

So, needless to say, I'm all for "saving XP". 8)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

bubba wrote:Guess I'm not doing enough with Vista, I haven't had any problems with it.

But then I'm not using old stuff with it either...

I'm not about to toss my printer, firewire card, sound card, modem card, monitor into the landfill just to have newer equipment to run VISTA. The landfill has so much electronic waste as it is.

Why oh why do companies see profits for themselves when a newer OS hits that everything prior is obsolete for the dump?

I spent $124 for the all-in-one printer, $20 for the firewire card, $15 sound card, and $85 monitor. That isn't a bad price ration until you compare today's hardware prices that are much higher. The monitor to go from CRT to LCD is a significant jump.

XP was the friendliest OS migration supporting equipment going as far back as the PII and K5 machines. If Win98SE could run on the box, more than likely XP with a little memory upgrade would work too. Now, XP to VISTA requires a bigger chunk of memory and isn’t friendly to the previous OS equipment unless it’s certified. But even certified has had issues.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I lucked out, I guess, that all my peripherals are less 4ish years old and what I do have there are drivers for. For my vid capture box I have been using open drivers for since win2k and ME came out due to Dazzle not making drivers for it after win98. Still using it on an XP box, I'm looking at picking up a card for its replacement so I haven't bothered to look for Vista drivers for it.

I remember when ME and XP came out, alot of people hated the switch then due to the drivers and stuff not working with it. I got a buddy the refuses to move off win2k.
-Thomas Jefferson
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

Linux, Unix more reliable than Windows - (so says the INq) Year spent going backwards.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... dows-worse

snippet ->

LAST YEAR, WE wrote about a controversial report penned by technology research and consulting outfit the Yankee Group, claiming that Windows was more reliable than Linux.

The Yankee Group has been busy again this year, but its latest report seems to offer a very different story to last year’s, with Windows now performing significantly worse than its Linux and Unix rivals.

The Yankee Group's second annual Server Operating System Reliability survey takes pains to note that all the major operating systems are in fact fairly reliable when it comes down to it, but that some have come on leaps and bounds, while others have slipped since last surveyed.
My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

bubba wrote: I remember when ME and XP came out, alot of people hated the switch then due to the drivers and stuff not working with it. I got a buddy the refuses to move off win2k.
I'm old enough to remember lots of MS OS changes. My first computer was a TI 99/4A and I still have it in the attic. :lol:

In all those years, yes there were issues, but none were as longstanding as the issues with Vista. :-k

People keep saying to wait and there will be fixes but I say we have waited long enough. By the time XP was the current age of Vista, it was quite the stable and mature OS.

All this has done is to give Mac more ammo to fight the war against PC. And poor PC takes the hit because of Vista...not fair but I enjoy the commercials! :finga:
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

bubba wrote:I remember when ME and XP came out, alot of people hated the switch then due to the drivers and stuff not working with it. I got a buddy the refuses to move off win2k.
At that time I was using Win2K, tried ME for 24hours and went right back to 2K. Was a solid and stable OS, just couldn't play a lot of games. I didn't switch to XP until SP1 had been out for a few months.

Honestly though, since M$ delayed Vista and then eventually pulled WFS I don't see any clear advantage to switching over. I was hoping for a better filesystem than NT.

I'm not afraid of change, but I do recognize a turd when I see one. Maybe they'll have a better OS by the time I NEED to upgrade.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Sporg wrote:I'm not afraid of change, but I do recognize a turd when I see one.
TURD! LMAO! Touche! Well said. :mrgreen:
HôS
Legit User
Legit User

Post by HôS »

I signed the petition .
I gave Vista a shot ... now I'm back on XP . :partyman:
Current build :

Cooler Master Stacker 830 SE
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000-watt Power Supply
Intel 975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz Processor(not OC'ed as of yet)
Zalman CNPS9500A LED CPU fan
4GB(2x2GB) Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 800MHz Memory - 4-4-4-12
ATI Radeon HD 3870 - 512 MB GDDR4 Graphics Card
WD Raptor 150 GB SATA - 10K RPM - 16 MB Cache
WD Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA - 7200 RPM - 16 MB Cache
Windows XP Pro