XP SP3 errors postem here

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

XP SP3 errors postem here

Post by Methious »

Well once again Microshaft should be paying me for Beta testing. If they have an error I'm going to run into it head first.

Installed XP with a fresh install of SP3, on a board with a good built in sound chip (Asus P5K-E) it's one of the SoundMax chips, tried every driver Asus had, searched for a couple of hours and no one else seemed to have the problem. Nothing I could do was making the sound work. Which I found funny because it was working fine when I went to the P5KC.

So after a long evening of searching I wiped the drive, and installed XP SP2 this morning, sound driver went right in and the Soundmax chip works fine. Turns out there's a Microshaft hotfix for the sound chip that needs to be installed for it to work included on the Mobo CD. But because SP3 is a higher service pack it won't install so the sound chip won't work. Go Figure a SP from Microsoft that doesn't include a hotfix for a popular sound chip.

Then I was testing a Yoggie Gatekeeper Pro security device. Neat little 520 Mhz USB Stick Computer that has 13 security suites on it and off loads security tasks to the Linux based USB computer. Loaded SP3 and it won't run. Again a hotfix that gets knocked out by SP3 so I gotta back up to SP2 just to use a $149 dollar security device that I just got.

Given that devices shouldn't really depend on hotfixes to work it's not totally Microsofts fault, but they designed the hotfixes for known issues. Then put out SP3 and didn't include that functionality. So I get to frag two good installs of XP in 3 days while I'm trying to dig out from under a pile of Hardware I'm testing. Thanks Bill.

I think I'm gonna run out today and give Gates another $150 bucks or so; that or get some more aspirin.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XP SP3 errors postem here

Post by Apoptosis »

sucks man... what PC shop did you say you worked for? At least you are testing stuff for customers.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

You might want to try the new driver found over at the Realtek site, they were just updated on 2008/4/22, so they might work with your slipstreamed SP3.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I got the sound running on SP2, I'm sure not gonna go to SP3 and have to reload again.

I haven't worked for any one else in years Apop, I do it for myself, and own part of a shop downtown but my partner takes care of that, I just go raid parts for my side line, and trouble shoot the stuff they can't figure out.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

fire fox has been acting up for me on sp3, probably just need to defrag though
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I've been tracking some SP3 errors and it seems that most of the errors are hotfix related. Apparently some of the software checks for the hotfix to be listed and if it doesn't find the listing refuses or fails to install.

In the last week I've loaded 6 machines and 2 hit SP3 related errors.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I tried what you were talking about Methious (I was running a SB card before) and sure enough the Realtek drivers won't load under SP3. But I reloaded SP2 then all the drivers before SP3 and everything is working perfactly, even with a triple boot system................. :mrgreen:
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Cool I loaded the drivers directly into SP3 and they wouldn't take. On SP2 they took fine, upgrading to SP3 should be okay then as long as the drivers are already loaded.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

did xp3 over the weekend. Everything went fine except that I can't get into my device manager. Nothing shows up. I also noticed that my internet icon on the bottom right of screen no longer is displayed.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Good 'ole Microshaft has bugged SP3 in a feeble attempt to get more people to try their epic fail, Vista. :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I've SP3 installed and have zero issues with it :-k
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just did a complete wipe and reinstalled windows xp pro. I went back to sp2. I will wait a year before I go to sp3. What a bitching I got from Natasha. I spent all day yesterday loading all our programs. I drank many beers in the process. :drinkers:
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Just did a clean install of Windows XP Home on my daughter's PC. SP3 doesn't play well with Diskeeper 7. Gives some lame error message about the snap in:

"MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC."

I told it to ignore it and keep running the program...seems to work fine.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Traveller
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Traveller »

Hi. Searching for an answer to an XP-SP3 induced problem with my SoundMAX card (no sound), I found this. Are you saying a complete reinstallation of all software and all personal files and SP2 not SP3 is the only way round this? if so, that's the last time I just do a recommended download from MS!! (Their helpdesk isn't...) All help and ideas welcome as I'm not a computer engineer and am travelling.

A second SP3 problem is that if a wireless connection gets lost, the link cannot now be 'repaired' but a restart has to be effected. Grrr...
Toshiba SatellitePro A10, integrated SoundMAX digital audio 5.12.1.3542, Sitecom wireless card 11M