32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Post Reply
Foxtrot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:25 am

32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by Foxtrot » Thu May 08, 2008 10:12 am

I am confused whether I need a 64bit OS for Intel dual core processor, which is a 64bit CPU I assume, or not. I know I want XP and not Vista, please advise which is better for gaming and general usage: XP Pro or XP Pro x64.

User avatar
skier
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4450
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Maine
Contact:

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by skier » Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 am

RAM and compatability are the only things that are involved with 32 bit vs 64, if you want to use 4GB or more, then definately go 64 bit(which is less compatible with certain things(just a "less support for 64 bit things" type deal because less people use 64))

in general, 32 bit is the way to go, even though 64bit is the "path to the future" it lacks support as anyone will tell you as of now

:drinkers:
-Austin
Image
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups

User avatar
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by stopthekilling77 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 am

Foxtrot wrote:I am confused whether I need a 64bit OS for Intel dual core processor, which is a 64bit CPU I assume, or not. I know I want XP and not Vista, please advise which is better for gaming and general usage: XP Pro or XP Pro x64.

i'd stay away from 64-bit XP Pro. a lot of discontent with that OS due to program incompatibility. Vista 64-bit has been much more accepted as far as i've been able to see, and i had no problems when i used 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

so general use, if you want to use 4Gb+ of RAM, go with Vista 64-bit
if not, then you'll be fine with XP Pro

that is unless you want to go Linux :D
MSI 970A-G43
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.5 GHz
10 GB DDR3 1333 CAS-7
GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB
2TB Seagate HDD, 1TB WD HDD for backups,
Antec P-180B, Antec 450W PSU
ASUS 27" LED LCD Monitor
someday I will get a real GPU and some SSD's... :goodman:

User avatar
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 pm

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by kappage » Thu May 08, 2008 5:49 pm

ok just, I Have to ask I have a E6850, on a 32bit operating system. If i went to a 64bit OS (most likely vista) would i notice any difference, in gaming. If i did this without putting more ram in of course.


Sry for thread Jacking by the way.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real

User avatar
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 2192
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by stopthekilling77 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:39 pm

kappage wrote:ok just, I Have to ask I have a E6850, on a 32bit operating system. If i went to a 64bit OS (most likely vista) would i notice any difference, in gaming. If i did this without putting more ram in of course.


Sry for thread Jacking by the way.
it'll be interesting to see if Nate has input for this (i'd like to know too)
MSI 970A-G43
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.5 GHz
10 GB DDR3 1333 CAS-7
GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB
2TB Seagate HDD, 1TB WD HDD for backups,
Antec P-180B, Antec 450W PSU
ASUS 27" LED LCD Monitor
someday I will get a real GPU and some SSD's... :goodman:

Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by Zelig » Sat May 10, 2008 5:12 pm

stopthekilling77 wrote:
Foxtrot wrote:I am confused whether I need a 64bit OS for Intel dual core processor, which is a 64bit CPU I assume, or not. I know I want XP and not Vista, please advise which is better for gaming and general usage: XP Pro or XP Pro x64.

i'd stay away from 64-bit XP Pro. a lot of discontent with that OS due to program incompatibility. Vista 64-bit has been much more accepted as far as i've been able to see, and i had no problems when i used 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

so general use, if you want to use 4Gb+ of RAM, go with Vista 64-bit
if not, then you'll be fine with XP Pro

that is unless you want to go Linux :D
My thoughts exactly.
kappage wrote:ok just, I Have to ask I have a E6850, on a 32bit operating system. If i went to a 64bit OS (most likely vista) would i notice any difference, in gaming. If i did this without putting more ram in of course.


Sry for thread Jacking by the way.
Probably not in any situations where it would be relevant.
ie. With settings cranked up in big Supreme Commander games, you run into limitations of the 32-bit architecture, and get crashes out of the game. However, it wouldn't be running at a playable speed if you got to this point in any case.

User avatar
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:40 pm

Re: 32 or 64bit OS for Intel dual core CPU?

Post by ibleet » Mon May 12, 2008 11:34 pm

I doubt you will see any noticeable difference switching from 32bit to 64bit.

Post Reply