AMD Dual core and Windows XP

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Nuxil1
Legit User
Legit User

AMD Dual core and Windows XP

Post by Nuxil1 »

I have windows xp running on an AMD dual core cpu, and it runs like a slug. I have googled and found some ideas and applied them all, but it still runs super slow. Wondering if anyone out there has some other ideas.

tia
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AMD Dual core and Windows XP

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm not sure how old your install is, but on older installs I've always found doing a format and a clean install of Windows XP is the way to go. If the system is retail (Dell, Gateway or so on) it will get off the bloatware and give you a fresh start the way it should have been from the get go.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

If the processor is sluggish you may want to try the AMD dual core optimizer. Sorry, I don't have a link, because it came with my copy of BioShock.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JohnnyVic »

You could check your device manager to see if you have all drivers correctly loaded. You can find that under Properties of My Computer (right-click My Computer and select Properties) and it will highlight any "unknown" devices with a flag. Also, if you have an nVidia system then I recommend not using the nVidia IDE drivers and firewall.

Really, we need to know a lot more about your system and exactly what is slow. How long does it take to boot and that sort of thing. What type of motherboard, hard drive, how much memory, etc. etc.