another linux question

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

another linux question

Post by bubba »

ok, how do you find what RPM package holds a lib? trying to install a program and it tells me I have a failed dependency: libXm.so.3
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: another linux question

Post by Alathald »

Which distro are you running? and which program are you trying to install? If it's a DEB based distro you technically can install a RPM but its not suggested. The best way to install most programs though is through the package manager which will handle all dependencies for you.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm trying to load iSeries Client Access on openSUSE (couldn't get openMOTIF on Ubuntu or Fedora)

The RPM manager tells me when I try to install the Client Access that it failed due to X dependencies, looked those up and installed the corresponding program.

The Client Access needs openMOTIF 2.0 or later, unixODBC diver manager 2.0.11 or later, RPM 3.0, and GLibc 2.0

Fairly sure I have this stuff installed, but will go back thru the RPM manager and see if I missed a library some where.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
turnsoutitwas
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by turnsoutitwas »

openmotif is not instaled

if you're using 64 bit Suse, then you need to install the 32 bit version of openmotif
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

32 bit for both, all lib for openMotif are installed.

Think tomorrow I will nuke it and start over. New to linux, already cant stand it. Something as simple as a friggen 5250 emulator has been a royal pain in the backside.

Was trying to do this with the RPM from IBM, but looks like I will have to try it with one of the opensource ones. was avoiding it because they ALL have to be complied from CVS downlaods... what ever the hell that is.

all this so I can save the company a buck and not send some old hardware to the recycle center. ](*,)
-Thomas Jefferson