vista 64 missing hal.dll

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
jbasagoi
Legit User
Legit User

vista 64 missing hal.dll

Post by jbasagoi »

Just finish new pc: asus p6t deluxe, 12 gb ddr 3 1600 corsair, ati radeon 4870 1 gb, corsair 750 watts, 2 640gb HD sata raid 0;
only 1 week old,
running vista 64 ultimate and twice used: "repair" (from the installation vista disk) to find "missing or corrupted file=system32/hal.dll" during boot.
what is going on, please help me.
I have all the latest updates , so now i do not want to reboot because it will end up in the same message: missing windows\system32\hal.dll and i will need to run again repair to fix the problem, what can i do?
tia
jb
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: vista 64 missing hal.dll

Post by Apoptosis »

were you overclocking when you saw this?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
jbasagoi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jbasagoi »

No, the only thing that i believe it could be (being that hal.dll has to do with hardware) is the fact that i have an external hd when i reboot although it happened with the ext HD off
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'm betting that due to the large amount of pretty fast RAM in your system, the memory (or memory controller) aren't coping well and are causing errors (which in turn has lead to corrupting files in your OS). Some voltage will need tweaking in your BIOS to make it play nice again.

You want to get yourself a copy of memtest86+, and burn it to a CD to boot from. Preferably a PC you know works OK, so that if there is a memory problem, the memtest ISO doesn't get corrupted by the poorly PC.

Just to confirm that there is a problem with the memory (or memory controller), run the memtest CD for a couple of passes and see if it throws up any errors.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

You could also try installing with just one DIMM, then once the OS install has completed put all of your RAM in.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
jbasagoi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jbasagoi »

I did that and also check mem with memtest every thing is oK, now if i reboot when my ext hd is "off" it works fine, if it is "on" the same problem.
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Sounds like it's trying to boot from the external HDD when it's on. ???
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

What's the boot order of the drives in the BIOS?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)