Create Custom Reminder? Windows XP

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Create Custom Reminder? Windows XP

Post by Major_A »

Is there a way to create a custom reminder to popup at a preset interval? I just built my sister/brother-in-law a new computer and I want to create a reminder that they need to dust out their case. I took their old PC, seeing as I gave it to them along with the new one I just built them, and it was caked with dust. I'm actually surprised that there wasn't a catastrophic failure. The bearings on the GPU's fan were so far gone that it was probably spinning at 5 RPM. This says a lot about the durability of the 9800 Pro since their kids would leave games paused for hours on end. I've told them several times that if you are done playing to turn the game off but it isn't sticking.

So in summation is there a way to create a reminder that pops up every 12 hours for 3 days on a 6 month interval that bugs my brother-in-law into finally dusting out his PC?
FZ1

Re: Create Custom Reminder? Windows XP

Post by FZ1 »

There are prolly apps out there that will do that if you google them. You could always create a clean.vbs file containing the code below and place it in the startup folder:

Code: Select all

dim currentmonth, currentday

currentday = day(now)
currentmonth = month(now)

if (currentmonth = 3 or currentmonth = 6 or currentmonth = 9 or currentmonth = 12) and (currentday = 1 or currentday = 2 or currentday = 3) then
msgbox("Clean out your PC!")
End If
It will display a message box on startup every 3 months for the first few days. I just threw it together quick but it could easily be adapted to add more functionality.
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sweet. Thank you very much.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

Major_A wrote:So in summation is there a way to create a reminder that pops up every 12 hours for 3 days on a 6 month interval that bugs my brother-in-law into finally dusting out his PC?
You mean, "Is there an app that pops up every 12 hours for 3 days on a 6 months interval that bugs my brother-in-law into calling me to dust out his PC or disable the app?"
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I guess that would be more of the case. He's been there when I've "dusted" their PC in the past. Hell I even used the tools he has available to do it.
techking13
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by techking13 »

Interesting...I never new you could do that. Admittedly, I'm not that computer-savvy though.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

techking13 wrote:Interesting...I never new you could do that. Admittedly, I'm not that computer-savvy though.

Do what ? dust out a case or write a script? :finga:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Darkstar wrote:
techking13 wrote:Interesting...I never new you could do that. Admittedly, I'm not that computer-savvy though.

Do what ? dust out a case or write a script? :finga:

:lol:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro