Vista's memory hogging

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Vista's memory hogging

Post by InspectahACE »

Ok, I thought I'd see if anyone knew of a better way for this..and it's weird so bear with me..I'm sitting at 45% memeory usage right now..and im doing completely nothing(besides typing this)..the only way I can get it back to the 22% range where it should be..is to use LinX and stress the cpu and ram for a little while..Now there's gotta be a better way to force Vista to stop hoggin the unused ram..if not, no biggie, i at least have a way to do it..but it's just a PITA to do it. more often than not
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Vista's memory hogging

Post by bubba »

I disabled file indexing, go to the services and disable the Windows Search service. That and dump Aero themes, switch it over to one of the classic themes. My Vista box idles around 650mb usage rather than 1.5gb
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I'm sure Aero takes up a bit of memory but it isn't what does the usage in..(plus I like the Aero look, I don't have to resort to WindowBlinds crap)..I will disable the indexing though. I never used or will use the Search service. it's not so much of it hogging all the ram, its the fact that it won't let the memory go after it is no longer used. Just kind of gets me pissy that it can go from 20-25% at bootup to 45% after folding, or letting my mom use my computer for a lil bit
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What all do you have starting with Windows? Like bubba said I disabled Readyboost, Prefetch, Superfetch, and all the other Vista features. I have not disabled Aero and I think I'm booting to about a GB of usage.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Primarily the 2nd gpu folding client starts up at boot.. i haven't found a way to stop it yet since it's not in the services area..(gotta love that SLI folding..or im blind)..that and avg anti virus but that's usually only run at 5am on weekdays..beyond that, nada..
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I don't point my finger primarily at AVG but I recall that it runs around 5 services that all hog some RAM.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

yea it's got about 6, but it's not even taken much at all..the biggest hogs that task manager sees, is firefox(go figure lol) and one of the many svchost.exe's (which is at 190,828 k right now)..im bout to kill that svchost, but i wonder what it's for lol

EDIT: ..killed the proces..turned out to be aero lol..at least aero went away after i did it lol..didn't do much though
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

when you disable the service you have to reboot for Vista to "let go" of what it is already using.

I dropped all the eye candy as I'm never looking at my desktop LOL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson