Page 1 of 1

friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:01 am
by goodguy
Hi. I am a new bee sorry that should be newbie, and i really need to ask a question.

I apologise in advance and hope this is the right place.

I really am stuck and need a kind word of advice.

I can't log onto my pc, it keeps saying xp needs activating, when i click on "yes" it

just says something like " error has occured"

I n-lited my installation disc some time ago and got rid of internet explorer because i only use firefox. Now i think what is happening is that xp wants to go onto the internet for validating but cannot find explorer so reports back with an error.

Really am stuck as i need my pc for work and i don't want to delete the partition because there is too much work on it.

I have a back up hdd which i am now using to write this message, so i can access the files on my original hdd, but cannot actually run windows.
There are a few hacks out there to overcome the validation process but all require log on
, or log on in safe mode which i cannot do (not sure about the legality of these). I have a genuine xp disc, is there anyway to access windows or make an
alteration to the registry from my back up hdd.

Please please do help.

Thank you. John.

Again many many apologies for the inconvience

Re: friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:46 am
by Darkstar
If you can access the hard drive then copy the work you dont want to lose off of it. With your Xp disc run a repair on the existing system and see if that fixes it.

do you get an error code ? have you tried safe mode?


Re: friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:03 am
by goodguy
Hi. Thanks for the mail. Yes there is an error code, forgotten what the number is.

I tried safe mode, it says that it can't activate windows while in safe mode and directs me to re-enter in normal mode.

That's all i can think of, i got rid of internet explorer and now it can't activate, and it doesn't like to use firefox. Just great.

Is there a change i could make to the registry to allow temporary access just long enough to activate, or install I.E. and then activate. As long as it worked for

just a few minutes that would be long enough.

Thanks in advance. John.

Re: friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 am
by Darkstar
Install IE if you've determided that is the problem.


Re: friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 am
by nightblood
You can use a registry editor program to access the registry files for the unactivated xp installation.

Re: friend needs help

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:17 am
by goodguy
Which reg edit program should i use? I know that i need to go to hkey local machine>software>microsoft>windowsnt>current version>wpaevents>oobetimer

and chage the values to F d5 71 d68b6a8d6fd53393fd, but when i use the regedit it only lets me access the registry for the c drive which at the moment

is my back up drive.

I can't use my usual c drive as windows will not let me log on to that one, so for that reason i can't install internet explorer as well, all the registry enteries

go into the c drive. I have tried to search ny usual c drive but can't find the wpaevents folder or the oobe timer file, it appears i can only access this through

the regedit.

Any advice. John.