Need to clear reset BIOS when installing W7?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Need to clear reset BIOS when installing W7?

Post by lordvic »

Couple months back i tried to do a clean install of Windwos 7 on a new hard drive, and it always stalls/freezes after the restart that happens when everything finished installing onto the HDD. My computer just simply stays at "Updating DMI Pool.....Success!" and won't go any further. I've tried removing one of my 2GB RAM so i am left with 2GB, tried removing my graphics card, etc...but nothing helped. I've also tried it on a working spare hard drive - still no use. Additionally, I've tried both 32 and 64 bit, again, no luck. *When the new hard drive with Windows 7 on it was installed onto a relative's slightly older computer, Windows 7 worked flawlessly*

I've check online and using Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisory tool and it clearly shows I can install both Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit.

So I'm wondering if I need to somehow...reset the BIOS so the PC's basically new...by all means to the stage before any OS was installed.

I still haven't really figured out if it's a BIOS/software issue, or a hardware issue (hard drive and RAM being eliminated from this).

I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed.

...would be great to have Windows 7 64-bit working to fully utilize my 4GB of RAM and 512MB GPU memory...
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Need to clear reset BIOS when installing W7?

Post by bubba »

If you upgrading from 32 to 64 that's the issue, don't think I have seen one work (even though M$ says it will) format the OS drive and try again.

I know on some Netbooks you have to put the BIOS into "install mode" due to how it handles the boot sequence, haven't messed with a desktop that is like that but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson