Win7/8 free upgrade to Win10

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Win7/8 free upgrade to Win10

Post by Kaos Kid »

Has anyone here successfully done this?

Does it work with a fresh install using my Win7 Key, or do I have to upgrade from the same drive that Win7/8 is on?

How would this work with a dual-boot situation? ie: Win7 on one SSD, Win8.1 on a separate SSD with bootloader defaultiing to Win7 unless overidden in bios...
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Win7/8 free upgrade to Win10

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Kaos Kid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm Has anyone here successfully done this?

Does it work with a fresh install using my Win7 Key, or do I have to upgrade from the same drive that Win7/8 is on?

How would this work with a dual-boot situation? ie: Win7 on one SSD, Win8.1 on a separate SSD with bootloader defaultiing to Win7 unless overidden in bios...
I've been seeing a lot on this lately, guessing the Win7 lack of support has brought it to everyone's attention!

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ge ... ,5717.html

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... _2020.html

Personally I don't have the balls to put one of my 'puters on the line yet! Win7 works for me, why fix whats not broken!
But, this has piqued my interest!
If you decide to do this, please let us know how it goes!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I decided my HTPC would be the guinea pig, and installed last night. I downloaded Win10 Upgrade Assistant, installed directly from net as an upgrade to keep apps and files. It took about an hour on that dinosaur but it shows as activated. Some things didn't make the upgrade, probably because those programs were too old.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Kaos Kid wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 am I decided my HTPC would be the guinea pig, and installed last night. I downloaded Win10 Upgrade Assistant, installed directly from net as an upgrade to keep apps and files. It took about an hour on that dinosaur but it shows as activated. Some things didn't make the upgrade, probably because those programs were too old.
And this is with your Win7 key?
Home to Home version?

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu - what every windows 10 install needs!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

KnightRid wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 am https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu - what every windows 10 install needs!
I'm ok with Win10 but.... I have a cpl friends who have went to Win10 from Win7 and I've had quite a few calls and texts asking....

"where is this and where is that, I hate win10... they changed the names of everything and I cant find anything"

So, I do see a need for some to have this option!

BTW....The only 'puter I have on Win10 is the laptop and Only because it came with it!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

thankfully everything I had on my windows 7 pc was compatible with my windows upgrade. so no issues there. but I have to agree some things did seem out of place and had to slightly re-acquire parts of my brain to get windows 10 working similar to windows 7. however not to criticize mircosoft, they did a good job with windows 10 IMO. just takes a few hours to familiarise yourself with it's layout. it's basically windows 7 and 8 combined :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Well I can safely say that the free upgrade to Win10 from 7/8 still works. I have switched over 4 computers to Win10, all worked. Three of them were using the same Technet key I used years ago, activated fine. My daughter's Win8.1 laptop upgraded fine as well. The only ones that didn't were two PCs that I had Win8 Media Center on, stated that that version wasn't compatible. Fair enough, I got those Win8MC installs from a glitch M$ had in the past that gave you free upgrade packs from Win8 to Media Center version. Turns out those keys provided allowed you to activate Win8 at the same time. No biggie for me though, I never used them anyway Win8 really sucks lol. I'm taking off my dual-boots since Win7 is obsolete and I see no reason to keep Win8 around. Also frees up a couple of SSDs for me to apply elsewhere (I like to dual boot from separate drives, not from separate partitions on the same drive).

NOTE: All these were done as "upgrade this PC now", it saved all my files etc., some casualties among older software programs but that was the only hitch. Just download Microsoft Media Creation tool, let it do it's thing and then when it offers, click "upgrade this PC now". It could take various times, depending on your hardware. Perhaps after I get all caught up I will try a fresh install using a Win7 key and see how that fares.

LIke upgrades to LIke, ie: Win7 Home >>> Win10 Home, Win 7 Ultimate >>> Win 10 Pro

Thanks Bubba for the heads up from Rat's FB post :supz:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

Glad you still have working versions of windows 10. I have used the same free upgrade key on this pc and never had an issue as of yet. but many of my friends have had the same issue as many due to some older programs not being compatible.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have done several of these updates. I found that if you have Office 2010 installed the inplace upgrade will fail every time. Even if you uninstall it.

So if they have Office 2010, back it all up (should do that anyway). Use a key sniffer to get the Windows and Office keys, nuke the drive, and clean install Win10. Skip the key part of the install, once done, go to settings and at the bottom it will say "activate windows" slap in the key and activate.

Once done the key is now digitally activated to that hardware for Win10. So if you have to reinstall on that system, soon as it gets internet access, it will reactivate itself.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:18 pm I have done several of these updates. I found that if you have Office 2010 installed the inplace upgrade will fail every time. Even if you uninstall it.

So if they have Office 2010, back it all up (should do that anyway). Use a key sniffer to get the Windows and Office keys, nuke the drive, and clean install Win10. Skip the key part of the install, once done, go to settings and at the bottom it will say "activate windows" slap in the key and activate.

Once done the key is now digitally activated to that hardware for Win10. So if you have to reinstall on that system, soon as it gets internet access, it will reactivate itself.
and then install LibreOffice or OpenOffice (always fighting amongst the children) and stop paying a fortune for an office suite :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Until opensource brings something to the table that will go toe-to-toe with Outlook, there are loads that will not move away from Office.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:30 am Until opensource brings something to the table that will go toe-to-toe with Outlook, there are loads that will not move away from Office.
Outlook is a beast isnt it! I just use gmail now but back in the day it was amazing what it could do. Mailbird was promising but i havent kept up as I don't need a super hardcore email program.

Thunderbird.... :lol: sorry, so sorry - although I have not tried that in a long time either....