heavy stuttering when downloading.

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

heavy stuttering when downloading.

Post by sbohdan »

i'm posting this here because i think it's windows 10 doing it but might be mistaken.
every time i download anything, even by clicking on pages, i get heavy stuttering in games or just browsing. i found a page where they have a solution to the problem but unfortunately it only lasts until i restart the PC. i really had enough of this and would be greatful if anyone could help me solve this for good.
the page i mentioned: https://appuals.com/computer-hangslags- ... rom-steam/

i never had this with windows 7 or any other windows before and i get this now when my rig is the strongest so far. my specs are in the sig. please help.
oh and i did check the ram, updated all drivers, cleaned temp and junk files etc. tried all i could.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Re: heavy stuttering when downloading.

Post by KnightRid »

Did you disable HPET in bios or in device manager?

https://youtu.be/YssdyMOCLQU?t=102

It was interesting to read about Malwarebytes and Avast causing problems too! Disable all anti virus and spyware stuff for a test.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

thanks for the reply. i use zonealarm, that has firewall, antivirus and antispyware. i did shut it off as you suggested but it made no difference. the stutter during a download is heavy. freezing the mouse for 3-5 seconds, can't do anything while i download and the download is also slower than what the max. speed is.
if i copy and paste the command [works in administrator mode only] bcdedit /set useplatformclock false and restart the pc, it is fine after the restart. if i restart again, the stuttering is back again.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

As I always says, use cmd in admin and type sfc /scannow and see if that finds and fixes the error causing this :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

DJ Tucker wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 am As I always says, use cmd in admin and type sfc /scannow and see if that finds and fixes the error causing this :)

''Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.''

now what should i do? do i use windows installation CD or how can i fix these?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUND ... timer_for/

Says you can disable in device manager....
Instructions (how I've done it):

Run command prompt as Administrator (or PowerShell as admin), type "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" without quotes > press enter.

Next go to your device manager (right click on start button > device manager) > system devices > right click high precision event timer > disable driver).

!Reboot your pc! Test how the game runs.

If you want to turn it back on, just type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" in command prompt or powershell, and enable hpet in device manager.
Also if you disable it in bios then it would be gone too....IF your bios has that available.

Don't see how this HPET effects so many things. download, fps, hell one person said it fixed his audio!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

thanks will try this tomorrow and report back how it worked.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

I have always had issues disabling hpet timer. but have seen it work for others. lets hope it works for you :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

well thanks for the tips but it did not work. it did one thing though: i couldn't restart the PC anymore. was able to shut it down but when trying to restart, it would hang before posting. i had to reverse the whole procedure and now i can restart the PC but am back to square one.i'm beginning to suspect the heavy stuttering is maybe the fault of the MOBO? no idea what to do.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

sbohdan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 pm
DJ Tucker wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 am As I always says, use cmd in admin and type sfc /scannow and see if that finds and fixes the error causing this :)

''Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.''

now what should i do? do i use windows installation CD or how can i fix these?
Sorry missed this. Run SFC in an elevated command prompt or in safe mode. If it still doesnt work run an elevated command prompt and type - Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - hopefully that would work. - from https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... upt-files/

No idea why your computer would not even boot with HPET off!

Do you have another hard drive you can try with a fresh version of Windows 10 to see if even the plain version gives you the problems? If it does, wipe it and try Windows 7 and see if that does it also.

Found this also - https://appuals.com/computer-hangslags- ... rom-steam/ - elevated command prompt --> bcdedit /set useplatformclock false - see if that does it although you may have done this with the HPET stuff or this may be the one that you have to redo constantly since windows resets it here and there I guess.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

tried everything but made no difference.
I've had it with this piece of crap called windows 10 and would like to install windows 7. there is a problem though. the MOBO i have is a UEFI motherboard and because of this [another great change that makes life more difficult just to have a ''nicer'' BIOS interface] i had to make a special win 7 boot drive on a pendrive with certain changes to enable win 7 installation on a new UEFI system. anyway, i've done it and it starts booting from the stick but as soon as the first win 7 installation screen appears, both the keyboard and the mouse go blank and don't work, so i can't click or scroll to go next. i have them plugged in the USB 2.0 ports, so that is not a problem [i know win 7 has no USB 3.0 drivers built in]. anyway, i googled the problem and tried all suggestions but nothing helped. it's not the boot drive for sure because the installation won't even start, it must be the MOBO or something in the BIOS as far as i can tell but i have no idea what else to do. any thoughts?
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

sbohdan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 am tried everything but made no difference.
I've had it with this piece of crap called windows 10 and would like to install windows 7. there is a problem though. the MOBO i have is a UEFI motherboard and because of this [another great change that makes life more difficult just to have a ''nicer'' BIOS interface] i had to make a special win 7 boot drive on a pendrive with certain changes to enable win 7 installation on a new UEFI system. anyway, i've done it and it starts booting from the stick but as soon as the first win 7 installation screen appears, both the keyboard and the mouse go blank and don't work, so i can't click or scroll to go next. i have them plugged in the USB 2.0 ports, so that is not a problem [i know win 7 has no USB 3.0 drivers built in]. anyway, i googled the problem and tried all suggestions but nothing helped. it's not the boot drive for sure because the installation won't even start, it must be the MOBO or something in the BIOS as far as i can tell but i have no idea what else to do. any thoughts?
I personally have not tried but AMD and Intel both have said they Do Not support Win7 on newer CPUs(Ryzen)!
My 2 main rigs run Win7 with UEFI Bios without issue, but they are older AMD CPUs!
This is the main reason I have not moved up to a Ryzen CPU! :(
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have also heard and read that the newer chips can be a nightmare to get running on windows 7.

Wipe everything, reinstall windows 10 (always install open-shell for the start menu) and then try first thing to do what stuttered on your original install and see if it does it. If not, then it was some crazy setting that was changed in windows the first time around. No matter what MS says, Windows HATES to be changed. Ugh, so frustrating sometimes! If it does do it again, try the bcdedit stuff ONLY, nothing else, then try again. If it still does it, I just have no clue.

Of course you could install linux and just run windows in a vm.....
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:29 pm
sbohdan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 am tried everything but made no difference.
I personally have not tried but AMD and Intel both have said they Do Not support Win7 on newer CPUs(Ryzen)!
My 2 main rigs run Win7 with UEFI Bios without issue, but they are older AMD CPUs!
This is the main reason I have not moved up to a Ryzen CPU! :(
the thing is, the manual [for the MOBO] says windows 7 can be installed, so this shouldn't be a problem. thanks for the reply anyway :P
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

KnightRid wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:16 am I have also heard and read that the newer chips can be a nightmare to get running on windows 7.

Wipe everything, reinstall windows 10 (always install open-shell for the start menu) and then try first thing to do what stuttered on your original install and see if it does it. If not, then it was some crazy setting that was changed in windows the first time around. No matter what MS says, Windows HATES to be changed. Ugh, so frustrating sometimes! If it does do it again, try the bcdedit stuff ONLY, nothing else, then try again. If it still does it, I just have no clue.

Of course you could install linux and just run windows in a vm.....
thanks but reinstalling windows was done already 2 times and the stuttering still remained. i just poked around in the BIOS and enabled win 10 WHQL support and the stuttering is gone now after booting. this would be great if not for the fact that with other things i tried there was a fix but just for the 1st or few reboots and then the stuttering came back, so i will report back if this fixes the issue for good or is just temporary like before.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I hope it is permanent for you! What a nightmare to fix an issue that shouldn't even exist!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

KnightRid wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 am I hope it is permanent for you! What a nightmare to fix an issue that shouldn't even exist!
it is a nightmare. it took few shutdowns and restarts and the problem came back, although it seems less severe than before. i wish i could just intall windows 7.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

sbohdan wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:30 pm
KnightRid wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 am I hope it is permanent for you! What a nightmare to fix an issue that shouldn't even exist!
it is a nightmare. it took few shutdowns and restarts and the problem came back, although it seems less severe than before. i wish i could just intall windows 7.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/ho ... dows-7-x64

You can........maybe.......

Best thing i read was about installing it on another system then taking the drive and putting it in your new computer and letting it get the driver updates and such from windows update. With Windows 7 being dead they will never officially support it.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

thanks for all the help. i finally got over the initial problem with the win 7 install, using an old PS2 mouse and i was able to get to the screen where you choose the drive to install the OS and ... there was no drive. apparently there is a new problem of installing to an nvme ssd, for which there are no drivers in win 7, so it won't recognize the drive. i will try to find a solution to this but if you have a good one that works, i would be more than happy to use your method :P
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow