Windows 11....?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 11....?

Post by camaroguy1998 »

I know a couple people have already gave opinions or their take on Windows 11!(1 for it, the other not as much)
But I'm going to ask again anyway!

Do either DJTucker or InspectahACE want to update or change their take on Win11?
Doe anyone else want to give their $.02?...Apoptosis?

For me the system I built is pretty basic and was built for stability/future upgrades and to be a Daily Driver, no big demands!
Also, I missed on the Free Upgrade to Win10 since going from Win7 was not an option or at least not a Free Option!
Not so sure I want to miss another Freebie!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Re: Windows 11....?

Post by KnightRid »

I vote to get it and try it for yourself. You can always go back to window 10/7 if you don't like 11.

I would have already gotten 11 but my Ryzen 1700 is not supported because Microsoft says so.....Somebody seems to be trying to emulate Apple more and more. Also neither mine nor my wifes laptops support it cause they are too old and have no TPM either :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Avoid 11 for now. Have a full 3 years before 10 goes way of dodo.

Everything I have seen 11 is full of BS. Like the forced Edge for everything and the lengths they went to shove ads into the start menu https://youtu.be/cRwdoo9kNTw

If you MUST use 11, keep up with the debloat scripts and strip the system BEFORE you create profiles and install stuff. https://youtu.be/8ReoMuCUdKE
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:01 am ...I missed on the Free Upgrade to Win10 since going from Win7 was not an option or at least not a Free Option!
Not so sure I want to miss another Freebie!
any win7 key will activate a win1o install of same kind... home for home, pro for pro.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:01 am Do either DJTucker or InspectahACE want to update or change their take on Win11?
Still running 11 since release. Never saw what Bubba pointed out until now but I never use the Search function as it is. Looks like it's a Bing infused search so I'm not surprised to see an ad or two or that Edge opens when clicking on an interwebz search result. Again, I never use it so I never see it.

From what I can tell, Windows 11 doesn't come with any more bloat than 10 did. I mean, Windows 10 did come with Candy Crush :vom:

I'm fine with 11. I don't see a reason to run away from 10 if you're happy with it. If you had a spare drive laying around I'd say do a fresh install of 11 on that spare drive alone just to see how it is before moving onto it.
bubba wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 am any win7 key will activate a win1o install of same kind... home for home, pro for pro.
This man speaks facts....................................Just enter the product key AFTER the install. And for the love of your sanity....do a fresh install. Especially if you're going from 7 to 10.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Well Damn! I'm glad I started this post!
Bubba, I watched the videos you linked and Greatly Appreciate them!
I had no idea that 11 is that bloated and as far as I'm concerned, I have no need for it!

I just built this PC back in march and its MY first one with Win10, so I'm still learning my way around.
So far 10 is not that bad, once you learn your way around!

Looks like Win10 is here to stay at least until they clean 11 up!

Thank You Guys, Greatly Appreciated!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

InspectahACE wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:51 pm
From what I can tell, Windows 11 doesn't come with any more bloat than 10 did. I mean, Windows 10 did come with Candy Crush :vom:
WAIT - I don't have candy crush :( What the hell man!

The ads stuff is only when you use the search. Of course MS wants to make it harder to switch to a different browser since they rely on those numbers. Is it wrong, YEP but is it also wrong that Apple can limit it's OS to certain hardware, YEP. It is a game all the way around and unless you are ready to go fully Linux and remove the big corporations from your life then you will have to find ways around the BS they do. Don't use the search in the taskbar, no ads. It does make it harder for us who help people with computer problems as there is so much more crap to work around but it isn't going to get better so you are better off to find a way around it now than wait till it gets even worse.

Just my thoughts and my pain for being left out of candy crush....bastards :finga:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

I would give windows 11 a try for yourself. yes windows 11 has bugs but it early days that needs to be patch out. the amd cpu reduced performance has been fixed and the search ui is still buggy but that depends on how you use it i suppose. i have disabled live tiles and moved the start menu and taskbar to the left as in windows 10. i have yet to come across any issues but im not a power user and dont use half the features of windows 11
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

So, I've done a little more reading and watched a couple more videos and I'm reconsidering installing Win11.
After going through my Win10 I see it has a lot of crap that's not in 7!
But, some really cool stuff like Candy Crush! KnightRid seems to really appreciate that feature!

I hear ya DJTucker, I'm definitely not a power user and after looking at the AD crap,
I think that's something that I would probably not be effected by!
Once I get passed the Browser Issue, I don't really see that many other problems!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 am But, some really cool stuff like Candy Crush! KnightRid seems to really appreciate that feature!
GRRRRRRRRR - I want to know why they did not give that to me. Unless it can be uninstalled? Maybe I did that lol
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Clean install Win10, enable the built in Administrator account, set a password for it, log into that account.

Then delete the account M$ setup for you at install.

Now run a debloat script https://github.com/n1snt/Windows-Decrapifier <- Make sure you look this over, understand what its turning off. Also has provisions to turn things back on.

This guts all the crap from Win10, disables loads of BS settings. Speeds things up a fair bit.

Now, make a new account for yourself.

Enjoy.
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

bubba wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:21 pm Clean install Win10, enable the built in Administrator account, set a password for it, log into that account.

Then delete the account M$ setup for you at install.

Now run a debloat script https://github.com/n1snt/Windows-Decrapifier <- Make sure you look this over, understand what its turning off. Also has provisions to turn things back on.

This guts all the crap from Win10, disables loads of BS settings. Speeds things up a fair bit.

Now, make a new account for yourself.

Enjoy.
Checking that out made me realize how much crap is loaded with windows that most have no idea!
Yeah I'm one of those! :shock:

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:21 pm Now run a debloat script https://github.com/n1snt/Windows-Decrapifier <- Make sure you look this over, understand what its turning off. Also has provisions to turn things back on.
They call 3D Builder BLOATWARE! OMG it is one of the best programs MS has ever included with Windows! I use that program at least every week with my 3d printer files to change things and fix holes and such in downloaded stl files.

Damn them, damn them all to hell!

I must have manually decrapified my Windows 10 as I don't ever remember having half that stuff.....maybe because I got updated from Windows 7?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

KnightRid wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:57 am
bubba wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:21 pm Now run a debloat script https://github.com/n1snt/Windows-Decrapifier <- Make sure you look this over, understand what its turning off. Also has provisions to turn things back on.
They call 3D Builder BLOATWARE! OMG it is one of the best programs MS has ever included with Windows! I use that program at least every week with my 3d printer files to change things and fix holes and such in downloaded stl files.

Damn them, damn them all to hell!

I must have manually decrapified my Windows 10 as I don't ever remember having half that stuff.....maybe because I got updated from Windows 7?
I'm typically stripping Win10 down for work. There is loads of crap that is not work related. When you make a new profile and it says "we are getting things ready for you" thats M$ installing the extra stuff to the profile. Even more annoying there are things you cannot get rid of, like Xbox tool bar components that are BAKED into the OS, you cannot remove it. You also cannot block Windows Store on anything other than Enterprise.

Windows 11, I'm going to wait as long as I can before moving to that pile of ad driven crap. Don't get me started on M$ push to have everything domain-wise shoved into their Azure Cloud. They are actively making it harder to have local servers. bastages.

I am actually ramping up my interest in moving to Linux. More and more of the software we use at my work are making Linux versions now.
-Thomas Jefferson
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

bubba wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:09 am
I am actually ramping up my interest in moving to Linux. More and more of the software we use at my work are making Linux versions now.

The more I've read on windows the more I've seen Linux referred to as the best option to windows!
Bubba, If you post your ramped up interest to move to Linux or the process what and how you've done it,
I'm sure more than just myself would be interested in reading that!

I have a few PCs in the house and would consider crossing over to the Light Side on at least one of them!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:09 am

The more I've read on windows the more I've seen Linux referred to as the best option to windows!
Bubba, If you post your ramped up interest to move to Linux or the process what and how you've done it,

I have a few PCs in the house and would consider crossing over to the Light Side on at least one of them!
YES, that would be a very interesting article to read! I have dabbled in Linux before but always found it a pain in the arse to try and do all the command line stuff since I have gotten lazy in my old age and like to just click stuff :)
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Well, I went back to Win10 last night.

11 is stable, fast and I like the look. I dealt with not being able to personalize my desktop as older versions did. The dealbreaker for me is the lack of support for 240hz settings currently.

Same exact video driver installed in Win10 gives me 240hz support. So back I go.

Seems the updated Win10 ISO's lack Candy Crush, I'm sure that will frost KnightRid's ass a bit. :lol:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

InspectahACE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:16 am Seems the updated Win10 ISO's lack Candy Crush, I'm sure that will frost KnightRid's ass a bit. :lol:
Microsoft hates me so they decided to remove poor Candy Crush for everyone just so I couldn't have it. Bastards.

:lol:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I have tried a few Debian based, getting ready to try Pop!_OS by System36. https://pop.system76.com/

My goal is to find something noob friendly. If I have to move my parents to it, I want it to be simple.

Work is a whole other issue. My biggest stumbling block is Autodesk.... its the friggen .NET dependencies. There is work arounds for Adobe, but its took easily broken because none of the linux distros can agree on a way to package crap.

There is also not a good alternative to Outlook. M$ has a strangle hold on that aspect of email in business. If someone has an alternative I am all ears.
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 am

I have tried a few Debian based, getting ready to try Pop!_OS by System36. https://pop.system76.com/

My goal is to find something noob friendly. If I have to move my parents to it, I want it to be simple.

Work is a whole other issue. My biggest stumbling block is Autodesk.... its the friggen .NET dependencies. There is work arounds for Adobe, but its took easily broken because none of the linux distros can agree on a way to package crap.

There is also not a good alternative to Outlook. M$ has a strangle hold on that aspect of email in business. If someone has an alternative I am all ears.
Lot of quotes lol - I thought Thunderbird was the one most people would use for Linux when they needed an actual mail program rather than just using the web? Made by the Firefox people if I remember correctly...??