Vista - Not on the memory kill path

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Vista - Not on the memory kill path

Post by liqnit »

Vista is not the memory eater you migh expected by reading some previews the following articl shows Vista to work on 512MB machine with 237MB foot print.
Windows tailors its memory footprint depending on the resources available.

read more here http://thelazyadmin.com/index.php?/arch ... ement.html
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

like the last line of the article states no one knows what it will end up like, so kind of a waste of time to read his article as it could be wrong also. Maybe Windows notices how much memory a system has and cuts things back. If a system has 2GB versus 512mb Windows might adjust the memory usage for that computer. i dunno
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i dont know about you but i think 237MB is a MASSIVE foot print.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:like the last line of the article states no one knows what it will end up like, so kind of a waste of time to read his article as it could be wrong also. Maybe Windows notices how much memory a system has and cuts things back. If a system has 2GB versus 512mb Windows might adjust the memory usage for that computer. i dunno
That's exactly what should happen....it does in Linux!

If you have say 2GB the OS should use as much ram as it can and then the remaining should go to disk cache!!!

I'm certain that's what Vista will do too.....*nix has been doing this since day one......
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

infinitevalence wrote:i dont know about you but i think 237MB is a MASSIVE foot print.
this amount of memory is when using the AeroGalss look and if you disable all i guess the footprint will be smaller.
but still the whole article idea was to show that Vista is not teh memory hog it looked like

and i do agree that a beta OS will not rsemble the final product in all aspect
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TheGeekMistress »

i'm betting the resource cut back from earlier reports are all due to the fact that they gave up on a new filing system and went back to the old NTFS with all it's lovely limitations and the wonderous registy that takes forever to load and gets confused at the drop of a hat.

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

infinitevalence wrote:i dont know about you but i think 237MB is a MASSIVE foot print.
That's about the same as XP, even less maybe.
Unless I'm confusing that with something else...
kenc51 wrote:That's exactly what should happen....it does in Linux!

If you have say 2GB the OS should use as much ram as it can and then the remaining should go to disk cache!!!

I'm certain that's what Vista will do too.....*nix has been doing this since day one......
Yeah, XP already does this. Anything that goes unused is paged to disk. I forget if any earlier versions like 2000 did the same thing, can't remember.

Well, either way, a quick run through the Services MMC takes care of most of those. They'll never even be loaded into memory much less need paging. :mrgreen:
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Does it drive you nuts like it does me when a Linux newbie debases Linux for doing this when they are comparing it to Windows? :roll:
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
TheGeekMistress
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TheGeekMistress »

pointreyes wrote:

Does it drive you nuts like it does me when a Linux newbie debases Linux for doing this when they are comparing it to Windows? :roll:
i second that thought

TGM
+ DFI LanParty-UT NF3 250GB skt754
+ Bios Rev. TMOD's 06/23/2005
+ A64 Newark Mobile 4000+ @ 5000+ (9x341) 3070mhz | Idle 30C Load 39C
+ Asetek Waterchill BIX Dual
+ 2x512 G.Skill 1GBLA TCCD @ DDR512 (CPUz 256mhz 2.0-3-3-6-1T)
+ XFX 7800GS OC'd to 460/1500
+ SATA150 2x WD360Raptors NVRaid RAID-0
+ 21" Hitachi CRT
+ Cooler Master CMStacker case
+ Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

somtimes Linux lovers espcially newbies are talking aout Linux as it is the holy grail but it isnt - it is another OS no more no less
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

here is an articl on Vista beeing run on sub 400$ PC with AeroGlass
http://www.sellsbrothers.com/news/showT ... Topic=1972
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

My Vista installation chews up 500MB+ on 1GB of RAM, and a 600MB pagefile to boot...weird.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

can you diable the page file?
or make a fixed size ?
like win2k\xp
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

all i know is that i'm still anxious to get vista. i think it's going to be nice for those who can run it and i think it's an absolutely beautiful and multi-functional os
BADASSSHADY
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BADASSSHADY »

The"no one knows what it will end up like, so kind of a waste of time to read his article" is kinda off. The non-commitance actually flows from Microsoft down to folks like Rodney. Microsoft won't commit to perf numbers earlier in a beta because they don't want companies buying hardware ahead of time that isn't strong enough and then being angry later... it is understandable, but unfortunate that they must have been burned before by it. I'm sure internally they could tell you what kind of expectations are actually realistic for the released product, but for the rest of us--we'll just have to wait.
phillipjos
Legit User
Legit User

vista mem usage

Post by phillipjos »

i installed vista i have am2 4200 2x512 dual channel corsair xms ddr2 800 it says i didnt have enough memory 1 gig should be plenty any thoughts my rating was a 4
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

If Vista is chewing up half of your available RAM, then it sounds like that (at least for now) it's still using the flat memory model (OS/2).

[Edit: I posted this before reading up on it a bit more, ignore my crazy talk]
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

It eats up about a Gig with a ton of windows opened up on my machine...not that I would have the Retail release right now.... :ohsnap: