Explanation of OEM license

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Silent Fox
Legit User
Legit User

Explanation of OEM license

Post by Silent Fox »

I am a little bit confuse on the OEM license change Microsoft made with all of its XP OS. So basically what it says that I am only allowed to install XP Pro once, and if I made any hardware changes i.e. motherboards, cpu or harddrive, or uninstall and reinstall XP Pro, it is considered a new computer thus I will be required to buy another license from MS?

Would it be better for me to buy the OEM or the full retail version for my new computer?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. IIRC this means you must purchase WinXP with some kind of hardware (a case fan works).
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

OEM

Post by doghucat »

When ever I have to call MS for a new activation I always remember to say it happened because the component dies not because you upgraded to a different motherboard or what ever it is you replaced that way you are still using the same system that you had to repair not changed just to upgrade. this is where people get into trouble the way I understand it but I could be wrong it has worked for me in the past 6 times. Plus I do not have an OEM copy I bouhght a retail copy when I build my rig from stratch. Good Luck.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen
audiodox
Legit User
Legit User

Post by audiodox »

:shock: so... um - does this mean I'm not allowed to install Pro on more than one machine at a time? 'cause I just buy the disk once and install it on everything...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just recently Microsoft made the OEM Version of Windows XP that comes with pre-built machines non-transferable to another system. If you bring your computer in for repairs and a company changes say a motherboard replacement, you essentially have a new computer and at that time would require you to purchase another copy of Windows XP since OEM versions can only be used once now.

I'm no software pro, but from my understanding this is the lastest on that front.