Retail Vs. OEM: Never Ending Debate

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Retail Vs. OEM: Never Ending Debate

Post by top »

So Here's what I've been able to pull up since I have never owned a retail version of any Windows Operating System from the internet(In Summary):

OEM: Two different kinds. Bios-Locked and FULL-OEM. Bios-Locked are supposedly the versions of the OS that can only be installed with a certain set of hardware(i.e. A Desktop Computer from Dell) and the FULL-OEM can be installed on any IBM-Compatible machine.

OEM, regardless of its type, cannot be used to upgrade from a previous Windows Operating System. OEM can only be installed by formatting the hard drive. For me that's not a big deal. I'm always backing up data!

OEM having support from Microsoft is still a question. Some people say there is support, some say there isn't, and others say that they're not supposed to support it but they do from time to time. What I mean by "support" is by these actions:

- Upgrading hardware
- Installing/Reinstaling Windows (Same or Different PC, but never duplicated)
- Needing an activation key when the key has become ... uhh .. no good from Microsoft????

I'm waiting for the Retail Version of Vista, because I format alot. Well I guess you could say at least probably 3 to 5 times in a 3-4 year span, but I don't know which version to get. OEM or Retail. Paying $200 more for a manual is nice... I guess.

Also to note that I'm not using A DELL or other type of manufactured PC so I guess we're debating the FULL-OEM version of a Windows Product!

Thanks!
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

Just make sure you comply with the hardware purchase requirement. NewEgg suggests a Y-Power Adapter. Just stick it in the computer and technically you can use an OEM Version.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Oh yeah that too. I forgot to mention that. The thing is will the OEM version be good for only one install? Let's say I activate it and register the license key and all that good stuff and then down the road I need to upgrade some hardware or if I decide to reinstall Windows. Will I be able to use the same key and will Microsoft let me reactivate my license?
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

The OEM can be reactivated as many times as you'd like, just like I can take an OEM Dell CD and put it in a Sony Vio and call to activate it and just tell them it's a dell and M$ will activate it.

Office 2007 Ultimate is something else I got my hands onto with the MSDN. You're only supposed to use it on one computer and we've got it on ten and counting and all we have to do is call every once in a while on a new install, sometimes it doesn't even ask us to call.
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I reinstalled Windows XP five times in one week. :)

I had a faulty Raptor 150 and didn't realize it at first. For some reason I thought it was my OS disc. I had to call in on the fifth time. But they didn't hassle me, especially not when you have an Indian woman on the other end who doesn't understand when you say "The hard drive was bad, first I thought it was the RAM and so I took one stick out, and then the other, then I tried one videocard...blah blah blah pwn the n00bz with tech talk" End result: stable XP and a good Raptor. Yay NewEgg.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Ok, cool. Just making sure. The price of the OEM version is too good to pass up. Thanks for the help, guys!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

SO if you can reactivate OEMs on the same computer after different hardware changes what is the point of getting a full retail version of an operating system? what are the advantages of each? I think we need someone to really just list them out and clean this thread up and maybe even get it stuck after that point.
Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

dgood wrote:SO if you can reactivate OEMs on the same computer after different hardware changes what is the point of getting a full retail version of an operating system? what are the advantages of each? I think we need someone to really just list them out and clean this thread up and maybe even get it stuck after that point.
An end-user can still keep the same OEM Licensed product even after the end-user has upgraded hardware, etc. except for if the end-user has upgraded their motherboard. A new motherboard does constitute as a new computer according to the Microsoft Licensing agreements. The only time you can still use the same OEM Operating System with a motherboard swap is if the motherboard has been replaced because it has been deemed defective, and it must be replaced with the same brand and model as the previous board.

So, technically the OEM software is licensed to the Motherboard.
Microsoft Licensing for OEM Products wrote:Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user customer may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.
System Builder / OEM Licensing can get quite confusing on the actual do's and do not's. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM with your licensing questions and I'll get back with you.

Also, from reading over some of the licenses. I myself and my company are registered with Microsoft as OEMs. My main workstation is a Dell, that came from a Direct OEM, I legally cannot purchase an OEM License to run Vista on this same machine. I would have to go through dell themselves if I wanted a Vista OEM License.

As for BIOS-Locked OEM Versions of Windows, I have never heard of such a thing and I have never came across anything about it. Every OEM Version of any Microsoft product Ive seen will install on any x86/x64 based PC, just not legally of course.

If you're upgrading your current machine from Windows XP to Windows Vista, you cannot use OEM Versions of Windows Vista to do so. Doing so is in violation of the OEM / System Builder licensing.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."