Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and sett

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
alexandra_s
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and sett

Post by alexandra_s » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:08 am

I just got a new PC... ( was the time for it ). I need to move all my Outlook Express mail from the old pc to this new one.. Anyone can help? ( I know how to move folders, but I don't know how to copy signatures, rules, settings, and contacts )

road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

this looks relevant

Post by road » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 am

Try this page for instructions on moving email, settings and rules:
http://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-Microsof ... o-a-New-Pc

Not sure if you are using Outlook Express or Outlook XP on either computer but that should cover the basics of where to clicky click. I'll google where sigs and contacts are and how to transfer in a sec. 8)

Congrats on the new machine, any decent PC guts leftover or did your old PC find a new home? :)

road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Signatures and contacts

Post by road » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 am

Signatures:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1814490,00.asp
"Your signatures are stored in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures, where username is replaced by your actual user name."

Contacts:
sounds like a folder transfer:
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_m ... tacts.html
" 1. In Outlook, on the File menu, click Import and Export.
2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
3. Click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and then click Next.
4. In the folder list, click the Contacts folder, and then click Next.
5. Browse to the folder where you want to save the contacts as a .csv file.
6. Type a name for the exported file, and then click OK.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Finish."

Rest of the instructions are in each article link.

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:58 am

I never copy anything but the emails and the contacts :)

emails I jsut drag them out to my hard drive :p and contacts is the same as your address book - I just open the address book and export, then on the new one I just import :)

Guess it would be nice to have a program to save all the folders, rules, etc.

Mike
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

I normally export the contacts from outlook first, File>export>contacts> Comma Separated Values. Fallow the wizard, I do it this way due to the fact it universal some email programs don't like the WAB (windows address book) file. Then reset the signature (I only have one, by hand)

To get the email messages I go to

C:\Documents and Settings\**user name **\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{**string of numbers **}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

There will be a .DBX file for each folder in outlook, burn them off to cd. When you have the new machine set up then you copy the files to the folder on the desktop, start outlook, File>Import>messages>> pick the version >> Pick import from store directory > all sub folders > ok

should import every thing, IF NOT, create a folder in outlook to match each of the folders you had before, the MUST be the same name as before. Once all the folders have been put in, close outlook.

Browse to the

C:\Documents and Settings\**user name **\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{**string of numbers **}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

copy all the .DBX files from the backup and paste them in the folder, it will prompt you "sure you want to replace" yes to all.

Restart Outlook, all your mail should be there.

NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:25 pm

bubba wrote:I normally export the contacts from outlook first, File>export>contacts> Comma Separated Values. Fallow the wizard, I do it this way due to the fact it universal some email programs don't like the WAB (windows address book) file. Then reset the signature (I only have one, by hand)

To get the email messages I go to

There will be a .DBX file for each folder in outlook, burn them off to cd. When you have the new machine set up then you copy the files to the folder on the desktop, start outlook, File>Import>messages>> pick the version >> Pick import from store directory > all sub folders > ok

should import every thing, IF NOT, create a folder in outlook to match each of the folders you had before, the MUST be the same name as before. Once all the folders have been put in, close outlook.

Browse to the

copy all the .DBX files from the backup and paste them in the folder, it will prompt you "sure you want to replace" yes to all.

Restart Outlook, all your mail should be there.
Exactly what I've been doing for years. Works great. All that you need to do is make sure you open OE once on the fresh system and then paste the old files into the new folder w/ the string of numbers. These numbers change every system refresh.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|

alexandra_s
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by alexandra_s » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:37 am

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I find a very good solution:
http://www.bodrag.com/outlook-express-backup.html

zlatan24
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and sett

Post by zlatan24 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

road wrote:Try this page for instructions on moving email, settings and rules:

http://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-Microsof ... o-a-New-Pc

Not sure if you are using Outlook Express or Outlook XP on either computer but that should cover the basics of where to clicky click. I'll google where sigs and contacts are and how to transfer in a sec. 8)

Congrats on the new machine, any decent PC guts leftover or did your old PC find a new home? :)
This morning I have awoke and opened my MS Outlook. I received some new emails and after that went out. But later on I reopened my tool and was shocked because of all my data was lost. Luckily for me I by chance found a next tool - <REMOVED BY THE STAFF> in the Google. And it decided my trouble quite rapidly and without charge as I kept in mind and what is more could analyze mailboxes and preview messages.

dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help needed with backing up Outlook email folders and sett

Post by dicecca112 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:21 am

We don't post about cracks of any kind