Vista came with my dell but I am running XP. the question is

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
toolegit2quit
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Vista came with my dell but I am running XP. the question is

Post by toolegit2quit »

... can I transfer this oem version of vista to someone else that wants it? I never had to register it online (as far as i know).

Thanks
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 @ 3.5
PCP&C 400W Dell power supply
1Gb Crucial PC3200
BFG Geforce 7800OC AGP
72GB WD Raptor / 300GB Segate
20" Dell LCD
Win XP Pro
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Vista came with my dell but I am running XP. the questio

Post by kenc51 »

toolegit2quit wrote:... can I transfer this oem version of vista to someone else that wants it? I never had to register it online (as far as i know).

Thanks
Nope, the license only allows you to run it on the Dell PC it came with.
toolegit2quit
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by toolegit2quit »

thanks. it has just become a drink coaster. :lol:
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 @ 3.5
PCP&C 400W Dell power supply
1Gb Crucial PC3200
BFG Geforce 7800OC AGP
72GB WD Raptor / 300GB Segate
20" Dell LCD
Win XP Pro
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

GOOD MAN!! either that or wait till a couple service packs come out!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

toolegit2quit wrote:thanks. it has just become a drink coaster. :lol:
No, find someone running XP that has a Dell and wants to upgrade. When you install it, you are going to need to tell them to call about it. Tell them they had to replace the MB, but wouldn't re-install Vista, you had to.

Should be no problem. If they have an issue, SOL. If they don't have an issue, you can pocket a bit of cash (and if it works, send me some) ;)
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

Tim, that is kind of confusing, can you elaborate? I am going to put XP on this, (Dell came with vista off ebay), and would like to put the vista to good use. (My friend already had like 8 versions he downloaded, I got me a legit one but still don;t like it).

I am going to install xp soon but I gotta send this in because of a screw that wouldn't come out on motherboard to put in my new gfx card.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

wildlaser wrote:Tim, that is kind of confusing, can you elaborate? I am going to put XP on this, (Dell came with vista off ebay), and would like to put the vista to good use. (My friend already had like 8 versions he downloaded, I got me a legit one but still don;t like it).

I am going to install xp soon but I gotta send this in because of a screw that wouldn't come out on motherboard to put in my new gfx card.
you install XP
your friend uses your OEM Vista to install that on his
he has to call in to get it activated since the hardware changed
he tells them he had to chage the motherboard, they say ok and give him the activation information
you are all happy

now the legality of this is that it probably isnt legal. I dont know if going from one dell to another is still ok in the OEM world or not.

Mike

*start rant*

People will pay HUGE money to buy and play games (WoW) yet they complain when they have to pay for the OS. I hate MS as much as the next guy, but without it you would not be able to waste hundreds of dollars on the other things you do. $150 for an OS is high, but how much does a stupid online account cost for a game? If you dont want to pay for an OS, use Linux and deal with it not being compatible with a lot of things.

*end rant*
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
twlott
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by twlott »

I dont get it. why dont you like Vista? I am running it on 2 computers and i am not having any problems with it.
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

ms is good to me. nothing really ever goes wrong. lol . i hate those apple and windows commercials.
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous, the commercials, instead it should be Hi. I am a mac, and I am more of a minority then the hemophiliac's in the wamapang tribe of the lower east corner of new guinea, hi I am PC, I am every other human being on the planet.

Also, vista is slower on ALL benchmarks except for like 2 applications.
And it lacks some support, and it is EVIL I TELL YOU.

linux I could dual boot for some things, and probably get away with most, but alot of software I have, ALOT is for PC> as far as general use and cedaga for asome games, I could manage, but for all the little utilities and programs and freeware, I'd have to find substitutes, at least much is free, and the rest is a tad more reasonable on linux.